Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coachella Festival Discussion Thread

Options
  • 21-02-2015 6:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey!! Planning to go to coachella next year, any ideas how can I can get my hands on tickets? Also can I purchase them from Ireland? Any info greatly appreciated ðŸ˜႒

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Aunykk wrote: »
    Hey!! Planning to go to coachella next year, any ideas how can I can get my hands on tickets? Also can I purchase them from Ireland? Any info greatly appreciated ðŸ˜႒

Go to their website in early January and buy them. They're expensive, but the process is not difficult. Like Glastonbury you need to be online at the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aunykk

Go to their website in early January and buy them. They're expensive, but the process is not difficult. Like Glastonbury you need to be online at the right time.

Cool thanks for reply mark, iv heard about presale tickets going in sale in May this year is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

You can also book travel packages here. Expensive but well worth it in my opinion.
    Had a brilliant time there last year. There's a lot to be said for getting a shuttle to a nice hotel with a pool, shower etc. at the end of each day.

http://www.valleymusictravel.com/events/coachella2015/hotel-travel-packages-weekend-two/

(weekend 1 is sold out)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Man! You are really planning ahead here, 2015 festival hasn't even happened yet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Early bird tickets wont be out until mid-May for 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aunykk

Man! You are really planning ahead here, 2015 festival hasn't even happened yet.

Haha I know! But clearly I'm not going this year so don't want to miss out on next year!!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Anyone going coachella this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Yep. A big gang of us are going to weekend 2.

Did anyone go to Coachella in April? Pre sale for 2017 out again in a few weeks.

Ah **** only seeing your post now from few months back , we were at weekend 2 as well , it was class . Who were your highlights ? I'd love to go next year but doubt I will be able , realistically won't go again until 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Ah **** only seeing your post now from few months back , we were at weekend 2 as well , it was class . Who were your highlights ? I'd love to go next year but doubt I will be able , realistically won't go again until 2018

Trying to organise to go for next year. Any tips? Is it worth going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Be a celebrity seems to be the thing.

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Trying to organise to go for next year. Any tips? Is it worth going to?

Definitely worth going to , first time there this year , thought it was class, will u camp ? I'd recommend staying in a hotel if uv a bit of extra dosh . Shuttle bus pick you up there n drop u back every day . They offer hotel packages on the official site when ur buying the tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Definitely worth going to , first time there this year , thought it was class, will u camp ? I'd recommend staying in a hotel if uv a bit of extra dosh . Shuttle bus pick you up there n drop u back every day . They offer hotel packages on the official site when ur buying the tickets
    Ah def hotel. We r going on our honeymoon at that time next year so trying to work around it. What were the ques like for the shuttle and what was the drinkin situation like?
    Thanks for the reply

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Ah def hotel. We r going on our honeymoon at that time next year so trying to work around it. What were the ques like for the shuttle and what was the drinkin situation like?
    Thanks for the reply

No que for shuttle , they go every 20 mins and each hotel has its own one . It's great being able to go back to a nice bed / shower etc after dancing all day . You cant walk around with a beer though and drink at the different stages / tents Like festivals here and the U.K. , there's designated drinking areas only for over 21s , so bring ur passport each day to get your over 21 wrist band (they change colour each day)
    If ur worried about losing ur passport we rented a locker n kept them in there inside the main gate . There's loads of choices of beer , not too cheap though , roughly around $11 - $14 a go .

There are ways around everything lads. I've often taken my beer outside the drinking area with me. Just hide it or put it under your t shirt passing the guy at the exit. The drinking areas are huge as well. We used it as a meeting spot between acts and even watched a lot of acts on the main stage from there.

We also brought in our own vodka in zip locks bags. Double bag it just in case. ha.
    Fill up bags with vodka and put them down your pants when walking in past security each day. Buy a mixer then at any of the stalls and you're laughing. You've saved yourself a few quid.

I highly recommend going to Coachella. Yeah the weather is hot but there is plenty of shaded area and it definitely beats the rain. I love it there.

I use my drivers licence to get my daily over 21 wristband and kept my passport safely locked away. Another thing I like about it is that there is no scumbags at Coachella, everyone is there to have a good time. The line up is usually great and it's a perfect opportunity to discover new acts.

I've camped every time I've went. Each year we say that next year we'll get a villa but always end up camping. We car camp. We fly to LAX, rent cars there and drive to festival. You get a designated plot of land to park your car and pitch your tent/canopy. We had a big group, we arrived together and we got to park / camp beside each other. I didn't sleep in a tent. A lot of us just slept in our sleeping bags that we got at Walmart for a tenner under a canopy we got for $60. Some slept in the car. You are up again at 8-9am due to the heat and people moving around you. The neighbours are always friendly and enjoy meeting the Irish over there. They'd call over for cans at our camp area and we traded beer for steaks with them. Everyone just seems to get along.

If anyone has any questions, just drop me msg.

How much did your hotel + ticket package cost if you don't mind me asking?

Another option is get festival pass and shuttle pass combo and then try sort your own accommodation.

There are ways around everything lads. I've often taken my beer outside the drinking area with me. Just hide it or put it under your t shirt passing the guy at the exit. The drinking areas are huge as well. We used it as a meeting spot between acts and even watched a lot of acts on the main stage from there.

We also brought in our own vodka in zip locks bags. Double bag it just in case. ha.
    Fill up bags with vodka and put them down your pants when walking in past security each day. Buy a mixer then at any of the stalls and you're laughing. You've saved yourself a few quid.

I highly recommend going to Coachella. Yeah the weather is hot but there is plenty of shaded area and it definitely beats the rain. I love it there.

I use my drivers licence to get my daily over 21 wristband and kept my passport safely locked away. Another thing I like about it is that there is no scumbags at Coachella, everyone is there to have a good time. The line up is usually great and it's a perfect opportunity to discover new acts.

I've camped every time I've went. Each year we say that next year we'll get a villa but always end up camping. We car camp. We fly to LAX, rent cars there and drive to festival. You get a designated plot of land to park your car and pitch your tent/canopy. We had a big group, we arrived together and we got to park / camp beside each other. I didn't sleep in a tent. A lot of us just slept in our sleeping bags that we got at Walmart for a tenner under a canopy we got for $60. Some slept in the car. You are up again at 8-9am due to the heat and people moving around you. The neighbours are always friendly and enjoy meeting the Irish over there. They'd call over for cans at our camp area and we traded beer for steaks with them. Everyone just seems to get along.

If anyone has any questions, just drop me msg.

100% agree with you on the no scum bags , every single person I saw anyway there was chilled out , got chatting to loads of randomers at it , all bang on . The weather is savage , great being able to go to a festival in shorts n tshirt , not a welly in sight

How much did your hotel + ticket package cost if you don't mind me asking?

Another option is get festival pass and shuttle pass combo and then try sort your own accommodation.

Sure yeh , it was $2000 for me and the girlfriend .
    Yeh getting festival pass n shuttle pass is good idea too if ur looking at sorting ur own accommodation . There was just the 2 of us this year , I'm going to try organise a crew to go to it next time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Was there last year and really enjoyed the experience.
    Didn't drink all that much but the drinking pens were in decent locations so you could have a few beers and still enjoy the band in the main stage or one of the side tents.
    Only saw 1 fella banjo'd all weekend and it was probably not alcohol induced.

We stayed in a hotel for the weekend and although it was expensive it was well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

To each their own but I couldn't agree more with the following columnist from the Indo;

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/katie-byrne-field-of-dreams-34664233.html
    It suggests that these celebs weren't fully aware that their photographs were being taken. It forgets that Coachella is one big branding exercise in which the vast majority of celebrities are paid to wear 'x' label for 'y' amount of money.

Most of these celebrities aren't there to let loose; they are there to be seen. Many of them turn up just to do their obligatory papp lap before heading off to one of hundreds of private parties that take place in the surrounding area.

I was there in 2009 and it was truly one of the most boring festivals I've ever attended. The line-up was extraordinary of course - it always is - but the atmosphere was about as counter-cultural as Spring Break.

For every photograph you see of an impossibly long-legged Coachella glamazon, remember that there's another insufferable, beer keg-shaped man who wants to know if you're rolling/riding the drunk bus/ready to PAR-TAY!!!

You can't really par-tay, though. Alcoholic drinks are prohibited in the main arena. You have to consume them in a beer garden which feels more like a holding cell. Also, there's nothing to explore or discover. It's like a concert in a huge polo field... which, incidentally, it is.

Thinking back to my Coachella experience reminds me how lucky we are to have festivals like Electric Picnic and Body & Soul on our fair shores. They really are best in class.

To each their own but I couldn't agree more with the following columnist from the Indo;

Who cares which Celebs are wearing what clothes at it , I didn't see any celebs and couldn't care less if they had their underpants on their heads .

I go to festivals primarily for the lineup , Irish festivals don't hold a candle to the lineups coachella gets . I've been to EP 7 times now over the years and have my tickets for this year but the lineup is cat so far .

I do admit before coachella I was thinking would it be full of 'frat boy' goons going round shouting everything they say but thankfully I saw none of that.

I hear ya man but who cares what the celebrities are there to do or what they are doing? You wouldn't even notice them walking around. I've never 'bumped' into one, I don't have any VIP privileges and I sleep on site in the car camping areas. I love the structure of the festival. It's run so efficiently. The camping areas are broken down into a grid like the New York street system. It's simple to find your tent at night for example. Plus, it is fun. That article implies it's a big yet boring festival. It's not. It's one big party really. I would encourage anyone to go and see for themselves. Ha, I sound like a spokesperson for it here banging on.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Electric Picnic too. I hope to go again this year. It's also great festival.

Here's a little recap video I think they released after the coachella festival.

Who cares which Celebs are wearing what clothes at it , I didn't see any celebs and couldn't care less if they had their underpants on their heads .

I go to festivals primarily for the lineup , Irish festivals don't hold a candle to the lineups coachella gets . I've been to EP 7 times now over the years and have my tickets for this year but the lineup is cat so far .

I do admit before coachella I was thinking would it be full of 'frat boy' goons going round shouting everything they say but thankfully I saw none of that.

Snap, just wrote the same as you were typing. I agree with ya man.

Nobody says it has anything but the best lineups. Even the above linked journo does. It's just the craic factor. I have been to numerous festivals and found it to be the worst for that. So I totally agree with her sentiments. It's more a poser fest "I was there" kinda thing.

Some prefer the over regimented stringent setup, as the sterling lineup makes it for them. I just didn't, and would never ever go back there. I met many East Coast Americans who felt the same at it, so I imagine East Side festivals are far more fun. Yes, everyone has a different definition of fun. It's a thumbs down from me.

Fair enough man, I was there with a group of 10 people and this year 20 of us went. So we had a big gang and it was plenty of craic.

I would like to try another American festival. I'm mad to go Austin City Limits or Bonnaroo.

Ah yeah, if you have a group of 10 or 20 then you are guaranteed fun wherever you go! We were just 2 lads, and in fairness we made our own fun, and met some really cool people, but by and large, it was the worst I'd seen for random fun and craic and general party atmosphere.

2017 presale/payment plan is tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Only looked up tickets there and they're already sold out, sold out in 4 hours. I'm considering other festivals in USA now. Is Coachella THE festival to go to or has anyone been to others in USA and how do they compare?

• Advertisement

By all accounts I've heard any other US festival has a better atmosphere. Just going on second hand info though.

Advertisement