Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless transactions not showing up immediately.

Options
  • 21-02-2015 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I've raised this issue before but it seems EVERY contactless transaction that's made on my account doesn't show until a couple of business days later? You can't use the excuse that it's the retailer that doesn't process it/uses batch payments etc. 

Permanent TSB update your balance even if the transaction isn't showing. For example it may say balance €100, €80 available. 

Why can't Bank of Ireland make that little change to help their customers a little more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi paulb06,

Thank you for your post. 

We are currently looking into this for you and will respond here once we have an update. 

Thanks again, 

Elaine

Hi paulb06,

Thank you for your patience. 

As each bank may apply a different approach to processing debit card purchases, we would be unable to comment on any other banks processing policies. 

We can confirm Bank of Ireland's current process means that once the transaction is processed by the merchant, the specific information on this purchase becomes available to us and is then posted to your account. 

We hope this helps and if we can assist you with any other query, please don't hesitate to post again. 

Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

Hi paulb06,

Thank you for your patience. 

As each bank may apply a different approach to processing debit card purchases, we would be unable to comment on any other banks processing policies. 

We can confirm Bank of Ireland's current process means that once the transaction is processed by the merchant, the specific information on this purchase becomes available to us and is then posted to your account. 

We hope this helps and if we can assist you with any other query, please don't hesitate to post again. 

Elaine

Hi Elaine, that's a pretty standard response which is expected.

Why are all contactless transactions not appearing on my account immediately then? Not all retailers are the same and don't process them days later.

Every contactless transaction I've made to date has come up days later, this is clearly a BOI issue and not a retailer issue.

Example, I use my debit card (not contactless) in say Supervalu, shows up right away on my account as "Debit card" If I pay using contactless, doesn't show until 3 or 4 days later.

Hi paulb06, 

Thank you for coming back to us. 

At Bank of Ireland, Visa Debit contactless transactions use the information available on the card itself to speed up the transactions, while contact transactions use a link to the account at the bank. 

That is why the contact transactions can show right away while contactless transactions typically do not. Once the transaction has been debited to your account, you can see this on your bank account statement. 

We hope this helps clarify your query. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just to back up Elaine's point on this one: if you use a contactless terminal in Tesco, the authorisation is pretty much instant, because the terminal and card themselves can do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement