Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for Orthotics?

Options
  • 21-02-2015 12:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

Looking to get custom made orthotics made . Anyone have any recommendations on any practioners in Galway City or surrounds? I heard good things about Gary burke, walkers heathcare and elvery's but i'm not sure which is best

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Foot solutions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭jessie_pinkman

Foot solutions.

Do you think they're better than the 3 i mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Louise Flynn in Barna is the best person to speak to. She is located behind Supervalu in Barna and provides orthotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've had good work from Walker Healthcare. Last time I went to them for some maintenance work, they suggested a slight modification based on a related issue that a physio had been treating me for, and it made a huge difference.

Not sure about Foot Solutions: their regular shop staff are well trained in sales techniques, but I think this may make them a little over confident in areas that they really know only a tiny amount. However if they do have qualified orthotics makers on staff as well, they may be fine.

Also Amphibian King are supposed to be good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

There's a €25 (€70 value) Biomechanical Foot Assessment deal for Toetalcare Podiatry in Renmore and Spiddal on Living Social at the moment.

https://www.livingsocial.com/ie/cities/515-galway/deals/1373686-biomechanical-foot-assessment

I've never used them so can't recommend but might be of interest ...

Thanks but my problem is with my knee not my feet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could probably ask in those places and they can direct you further if need be?

Thanks but my problem is with my knee not my feet

Orthotics help biomechanical problems in your feet, which in turn may helpe problem in your knees (and other connected places eg hips). It my knees that are better than they've been for years, thanks to 5mm of height added to my orthotics.

Orthotics help biomechanical problems in your feet, which in turn may helpe problem in your knees (and other connected places eg hips). It my knees that are better than they've been for years, thanks to 5mm of height added to my orthotics.

I certainly know, it's just J o e 's post was a feet examination which isn't what i need, i know orthotics can help the knee but i don't think what he linked to would, it was kind of him anyway though

• Advertisement

Foot solutions seem to be overpriced , are walker healthcare cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

@Jessie_pinkman - sorry, you're probably sorted by now, did you think of checking with APOS in Clarinbridge? They measure, make and adjust orthotic insoles.

My own advice is to check with a physio as to the reasons you are having issues as you may will be better addressing the underlying causes rather than the symptoms.

Walkers are good from reports I've heard. The moulded insole from the 'other' shop are absolutely useless and are a gimmick INHO.

AKW wrote: »
    My own advice is to check with a physio as to the reasons you are having issues as you may will be better addressing the underlying causes rather than the symptoms.

A qualified orthotist likely knows more about biomechanics than than a physio does.

I was referred to Walkers by a physio, and the orthotics from them made more difference than anything a physio has sever done for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A qualified orthotist likely knows more about biomechanics than than a physio does.

I was referred to Walkers by a physio, and the orthotics from them made more difference than anything a physio has sever done for me.

That is true however their speciality is addressing biomechanical issues through intervention with a device whereas a physio should seek to address the root cause.

The lines are blurred though when the physio reaches for a orthotic as a route to correct problems. This reaching for orthotics happens far too often and without correct remedial work leads to people being dependent on the orthotic to deal with their issues.

Biggest issue for many is a lack of patience and diligence to strengthening & postural exercises (as always IMO :) )

Advertisement