Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mozzerella

Options
  • 21-02-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Ok ive tried the grated one from aldi and lidl, find the lidl one far nicer but both not great.

Have tried the ball of mozzerella from both shops also but find they leave a pool of milk in the middle of the pizza.

What is the best mozzerella to buy? One that is nice and stringy like you get in italy and one that actually has a flavour and colours nice in the oven.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DavidSullivan

I find Bocconcini to be curvy and wide in taste. Fresh on the pallet accompanied by some olives and a glass of Merlot, very cleansing on the pallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When making pizza I usually use the cheapish mozzarella in the plastic packet in brine but I only put it on the pizza for the last couple of minutes so it melts but still holds some shape and texture.
    I use a finely grated hard cheese, too that goes on from the start. (pecorino would be my first choice)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

When making pizza I usually use the cheapish mozzarella in the plastic packet in brine but I only put it on the pizza for the last couple of minutes so it melts but still holds some shape and texture.
    I use a finely grated hard cheese, too that goes on from the start. (pecorino would be my first choice)

I do all the above but don't put on the pecorino till the pizza is out of the oven so it melts instead of burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

You can slice and press the wet ball mozarella to get more moisture out, that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

longshanks wrote: »
    I do all the above but don't put on the pecorino till the pizza is out of the oven so it melts instead of burning.

I use cheese very sparingly on pizza. It doesn't burn on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

uberalex wrote:
    You can slice and press the wet ball mozarella to get more moisture out, that might help.

I slice it and leave it dry on paper towels about an hour before putting on pizza. no puddle's

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There's an Irish company that makes buffalo mozzarella. Toonsbridge or toonbridge. Can get it in my local cheese shop but it is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thud

Supervalues that were formerly SuperQuinn sell ungrated blocks of Mozzerella wrapped in cling film in the cheese section, if you want to avoid the wetness from fresh moxxerella these are best to use on pizza. Pre-grated supermarket Mozzerella will have anti caking agents (starch) added that will make it melt differently (can stays in strands instead of melting together)

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257480267

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This sounds very unladylike but I too, eh, squeeze my mozzarella balls before applying to pizza. Gets rid of a lot of the moisture. Normally just use bags of pregrated stuff though, if I'm lashing salami or ham or anything on top that I think would just overwhelm the taste of the cheese and all I care about is the cheesey texture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Aldi light mozzarella balls work better for me on pizzas than full fat mozzarella.

Advertisement