Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring my first car: Car in dad's name and second named driver on his insurance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

All I'm doing different is driving to work for a few months until I can (A) get an appointment for the test and (B) have the road experience to lads it confidently, which I'd need to do anyway.

Don't mean to pick on you, but you're kind of contradicting yourself. You say you've done loads of lessons and what not, but yet you admit you still need road experience to build confidence. To save yourself potential hassle, book your test asap, take it, if you fail, fair enough, at least you will have experienced it, and build from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I appreciate what you're saying. Honestly I'd prefer to have another option really, but I don't.

If it makes you feel any better, I am qualified to drive on public roads - I've studied the rules of the road, I've passed the theory test, I've spent hundreds on professional driving lessons. Frankly I'd say I've taken learning to drive orders of magnitude more seriously than my peers and previous generations. I don't take the privilege lightly.

If I was even *close* to the biggest danger you faced on the roads, you would be a lot safer.

All I'm doing different is driving to work for a few months until I can (A) get an appointment for the test and (B) have the road experience to lads it confidently, which I'd need to do anyway.

So yeah, sh'up you.

No you are not.

The laws of the land are not optional to pick and choose as you wish. The laws do not care for how good or bad a driver you are as long as you are fully licensed and insured and drive an NCT'd car.

The simple facts are it is illegal to drive on your own if all you have is a learners permit. A leaner permit as stated twice above is NOT a licence.

Yes, if you do get into an accident the insurance may pay out only as a third party obligation , but they are 100% entitled to recoup the losses from you if you were proven to be at fault as you clearly breached the terms of the insurance policy as you have agreed that a fully licensed driver will always be present.

Don't be a dick.

Just to add, you do know that if you were caught driving on your own, it's 2 points plus an €80 fine? And a further 2 points and a €60 if you are also caught with no L plates just in case your tempted not to display them?

Just 6 points and you are definitely off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

mullingar wrote: »
    Just to add, you do know that if you were caught driving on your own, it's 2 points plus an €80 fine? And a further 2 points and a €60 if you are also caught with no L plates just in case your tempted not to display them?

Just 6 points and you are definitely off the road
    I agree with the sentiment of your post however there are a number of inaccuracies.
    You can only get one set of points if you're detected for multiple offences at the same time. The points will be for whichever offence carries the highest points. So if the OP did get caught driving unaccompanied with no L-plates he'll only get a total of 2 points and both fines (€120), not 4 points.
    http://www.garda.ie/controller.aspx?page=1654
    And the disqualification threshold for learners is 7 points not 6.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/act/pub/0003/sec0008.html#sec8

No you are not.

It's a pity you didn't reply "Oh no you're not!", cos then my reply of "Oh yes he is!" would make this even more of a pantomime of a thread. :P

The reality of it is he passed his theory and is now allowed to legally drive on the road.

My experience of learner permit drivers crashing is fairly limited. However, I'm pretty sure "did you have a licensed driver with you" has never been asked by an insurance company, as they don't care. Whether or not you have one with you has no bearing on the accident.

Much like having no NCT doesn't automatically void your insurance (I'm fairly sure they have to demonstrate that the lack of NCT contributed to the crash, or exacerbated the damage).

It's one thing saying "I think you should have an accompanied driver", but these stories of how insurance companies will hang you out to dry are just scaremongering.

• Advertisement

The reality of it is he passed his theory and is now allowed to legally drive on the road.

.. ONLY with a fully licensed driver with them. No licenced driver with them is an offence so NOT legal to drive, hence the penalty points

Regarding the rest of your post, you can try to justify it to yourself any way you want but don't fool yourself. Just stay legal.

you can try to justify it to yourself any way you want but don't fool yourself

:confused:

But I believe I am correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mynameispaul

No you are not.

The laws of the land are not optional to pick and choose as you wish. The laws do not care for how good or bad a driver you are as long as you are fully licensed and insured and drive an NCT'd car.

The simple facts are it is illegal to drive on your own if all you have is a learners permit. A leaner permit as stated twice above is NOT a licence.

Yes, if you do get into an accident the insurance may pay out only as a third party obligation , but they are 100% entitled to recoup the losses from you if you were proven to be at fault as you clearly breached the terms of the insurance policy as you have agreed that a fully licensed driver will always be present.

Don't be a dick.

Shut up you tit. You can be high and mighty 'til you're blue in the face. having a driver in the car with me to tell me which lane I should be in really doesn't have any bearing on how safely I drive.

You clearly have no interest in answering my question and are just looking for a row. Go and rant at someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hey, no point in giving out about it, we've all had to do it.

Have an accident while driving unaccompanied is a good way to loose any cover. They'll pay out on 3rd party as they're obliged to but they possibly will chase you for the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Get a better paid job and use a taxi. I did that decision 3 years ago and it cost me less than keeping the car and no headache. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Some amount of goody two shoes high horses on here :p :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There's 0 no claims bonus in my own name. I've only driven in my driving instructors' cars.

I meant when you do start asking for your own insurance that is the first q you will be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Also if you look for a test date and say it's for work you get priority. Friend of mine applied last weds and was given test date by phone for tues next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Some amount of goody two shoes high horses on here :p :rolleyes:

It's not really though. When I was a learner over 6 years ago I adhered to the rules and always made alternative arrangements to get to work. If anything it pushed me to get the license asap. Nothing goody two shoes about that.

By all means the OP can take that risk if they so choose but should be aware of the severe risks of doing so (and not have a go at people who are trying to get this across!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

My experience of learner permit drivers crashing is fairly limited. However, I'm pretty sure "did you have a licensed driver with you" has never been asked by an insurance company, as they don't care. Whether or not you have one with you has no bearing on the accident.

It's one thing saying "I think you should have an accompanied driver", but these stories of how insurance companies will hang you out to dry are just scaremongering.

You couldn't be more wrong on those points. It is true that they won't chase a recovery against you if the payout is more than your assets, but they can seek a judgement against you, cancel your cover and repudiate any own damage claim.

That's a whole lot of trouble for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

What is the commute OP? I can't believe that you'd spend 5 hours a day on a bus, and if you did, however there aren't hundreds of other people making the same if not similar journies to you.

You might be surprised at the good will on boards if you had instead asked if "Anyone commuting from A to B daily want to make and extra €50 per week until I get my test?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

What is the commute OP? I can't believe that you'd spend 5 hours a day on a bus, and if you did, however there aren't hundreds of other people making the same if not similar journies to you.

If you lived in South Dublin / Shankill / Bray and worked in CityWest / Clondalkin / Tallaght, you could easily put in a 2 hour trip either way by public transport. Dublin Bus et al is great if you want to into the city, but forget it if you want to traverse it :( Laughably, by car, the same journey is 25 mins on a good run.

OP, faster you are on your own policy the better. Even as a learner. As soon as you get it, go for the test and if you get the test within the year, you'll get a refund. You'll also start to build an own name no claims bonus, which is the golden ticket to reducing your premium.

Also, please don't drive on your own. Its inexcusable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Shut up you tit. You can be high and mighty 'til you're blue in the face. having a driver in the car with me to tell me which lane I should be in really doesn't have any bearing on how safely I drive.

You clearly have no interest in answering my question and are just looking for a row. Go and rant at someone else.

Your question has been answered multiple times it's just not the one you want to hear.

You're not licenced to drive on your own until you pass the driving test. You have 2 options : do your test and pass it or move closer to where you work.

high horse wrote: »
    Your question has been answered multiple times it's just not the one you want to hear.

You're not licenced to drive on your own until you pass the driving test. You have 2 options : do your test and pass it or move closer to where you work.

And I'm having a discussion with the people who answer my question.

The fact of the matter is that I don't 'only have two options', and trying to simplify the problems of others into dichotomies is dismissive and unhelpful. ("Oh, you're depressed? Welp you've two options buddy, kill yourself or try harder")

You can try to put whatever spin on it you like, someone chiming into this question with those answers is at best jumping at the opportunity to feel smug on the Internet and hear their own voice. That makes them a sap. Simple as.

Tl;dr these posts are stating the obvious, and almost certainly for the sake of hearing the sound of their own voice... So I told them to shut up. Get over it.

You might be surprised at the good will on boards if you had instead asked if "Anyone commuting from A to B daily want to make and extra €50 per week until I get my test?"

My commute is south county Dublin to south west county Dublin.

It doesn't sound so far but the fastest way to traverse it by public transport is to go into town and back out again.

So it's 10 minute walk + 40 minute LUAS + 50 minute Bus Journey + 15 minute walk.

Which makes my commute one way just over two hours on a perfect day. When you include traffic, waiting at stops etc if usually averages out at about 5 hours.

The sick thing is that, thanks to the M50 and the placement of my office, if I left my house at the same time of day (6am) it would take me ~18 minutes to commute in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

And I'm having a discussion with the people who answer my question.

The fact of the matter is that I don't 'only have two options', and trying to simplify the problems of others into dichotomies is dismissive and unhelpful. ("Oh, you're depressed? Welp you've two options buddy, kill yourself or try harder")

You can try to put whatever spin on it you like, someone chiming into this question with those answers is at best jumping at the opportunity to feel smug on the Internet and hear their own voice. That makes them a sap. Simple as.

Tl;dr these posts are stating the obvious, and almost certainly for the sake of hearing the sound of their own voice... So I told them to shut up. Get over it.

Then this thread will continue to disappoint you because you refuse to accept the fact that insurance is expensive for unlicensed and inexperienced drivers. We've all been there and paid stupid money to insure our cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

My commute is south county Dublin to south west county Dublin.

It doesn't sound so far but the fastest way to traverse it by public transport is to go into town and back out again.

So it's 10 minute walk + 40 minute LUAS + 50 minute Bus Journey + 15 minute walk.

Which makes my commute one way just over two hours on a perfect day. When you include traffic, waiting at stops etc if usually averages out at about 5 hours.

The sick thing is that, thanks to the M50 and the placement of my office, if I left my house at the same time of day (6am) it would take me ~18 minutes to commute in a car.

Then buy a bike.
    The fact is that you dont have a licence to drive on the road on your own. Now if you want too, of you go, but no point in getting annoyed with people for telling the truth.

With regards to insurance, being named driver will probably work out cheaper if your a named driver on your dad's car, however if you buy a car and put it into your dads name, it won't be much cheaper because he'll have no mcg on the second car.

Best advice I can give is cycle to work until you get your test, then get the golden pages out and start ringing up every insurer and broker.
    Insurance companies aren't idiots. They see a father who is trying to insure a car in his name with the son as a named driver and both have no ncb. They know straight away what's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So yeah, sh'up you.
    Shut up you tit.
    Thread closed, hope you got what you came for.
    If you are uncivil again you will be banned from the forum for a long time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement