Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

hoooooooot wrote: »
    Seems to be more or less covered above but just wanted to be sure as heading in May myself, nobody changed currency beforehand? just brought Euro/USD and changed it there?

Seems difficult to change the money here and I assume VISA/Mastercard are out of the question over there?

Thanks

Don't bring USD!!! Although with Obama's recent announcements things might have loosened up a bit.

Euros will be fine to change in any bank, I changed my first lot at the cash desk outside the airport, no rip off rates whatsoever.

I rarely saw an ATM, and don't think any place we stayed (bar the Hotel Nacional) had credit card facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Idol

Don't bring dollars, you'll get a rubbish exchange rate, if you even get the opportunity to exchange it! Bring euros and you can change them in currency exchange in airport.

Also, we had no problem finding ATMs to withdraw cash, and we travelled around the country a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Well as the title states is Cuba worth it?

Thinking of going before Mc Donald’s, Starbucks etc. get their gritty hands on it. I want to experience the music, culture, people and the Rum :D. Thinking of going in Early November after the rainy and Hurricane season. Doing it on my own so either to it with G Adventures or Intrepid. What are the places to see and recommendations tips etc

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was in Havana/Varadero for my honeymoon, wish I could go back, great country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

NIMAN wrote: »

How did you find the food?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wish I could go back too!

Only saw the north half of the island, I hope to get back to see some of the rest of it before it all reverts to "normality" (whatever that is!)

Food I found to be fine. Not a gourmet experience by any stretch, but I'm not a big fish eater and don't do seafood at all - the girl I was with thought she'd died and gone to heaven with all the lobster and other seafood for half nothing (relative to home, obviously). Fish apart, it's mostly fairly plain chicken or pork with rice and veggies. Lots of gorgeous fruit. Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I found it pretty good, but most of the experience was from hotels, although I did eat out too.

I found it a lot better than say Spain.

OK so it was an AI holiday, but there was every type of food imaginable, the majority of it very good. I found their fruit fantastic, but unfortunately I ate too much of it over the 1st week and found myself running to the loo too often, so had to stop.

Fish and meat dishes all good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

Would 2 weeks be a good amount of time to see main sights and have a good experience of cuba?

• Advertisement

Joziburg wrote: »
    Would 2 weeks be a good amount of time to see main sights and have a good experience of cuba?
    I went for two weeks and only saw half the island - two nights Havana, three nights each in Trinidad, Cienfuegos and Vinales, and last three nights in Havana (I think that adds up right!)

Definitely got a feel for each place, and I wouldn't have spent less time at each stop.

I hope to go back soon and do something similar on the south half of the island.

It's a big place!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

Got back last week myself, loved Cuba. I went for 12 days and thought that was good amount of time. This was my route, all done by Viazul buses. Always on time.

Havana 3 nights - Las Terrazas 1 nights - Havana 1 night - Trinidad - 3 nights - Varadero (via Santa Clara) 2 nights - Havana 1 night

Stayed in Santa Clara for 6 hours, visited Che museum & the city. Nothing else there, definitely wouldn't recommend staying there. Las Terrazas was beautiful but small, I would visit Vinales as heard great things about the place - further out from Last Terrazas..

Stay at Casa El Tulipan if you visit Trindad, gorgeous apartment & great hosts.

Te Amo Cuba!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok just about to book Cuba but land late on a Friday night and need a decent enough hotel or hostel to spend one night before I go on my travels

Anyone recommend anywhere. Traveling on my own

Cheers

Ok just about to book Cuba but land late on a Friday night and need a decent enough hotel or hostel to spend one night before I go on my travels

Anyone recommend anywhere. Traveling on my own

Cheers

Yeh we arrive late on a sat night in Sept, don't really want to be out looking that late too

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

Just back from Cuba and have 250 cuc's or about 210-220 euro worth of Cuban money that I was gonna change over at the bank, I have since found out Cuban money is a closed currency and can only be done in Cuban so basically I'm stuck with the money till I find someone going there

Anyone going to Cuba soon and want to swap euro's for cuc's Or anyone any advice on getting the money switched back

Yeh we arrive late on a sat night in Sept, don't really want to be out looking that late too

Do you need to have a visa before leaving Ireland? Flying Air Canada through Toronto and have heard you get a tourist card (visa?) on the plane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Just back from Cuba and have 250 cuc's or about 210-220 euro worth of Cuban money that I was gonna change over at the bank, I have since found out Cuban money is a closed currency and can only be done in Cuban so basically I'm stuck with the money till I find someone going there

Anyone going to Cuba soon and want to swap euro's for cuc's Or anyone any advice on getting the money switched back

How much do you want for them and where are you based?

well they worth straight up swap 227 euro on todays excahnge rate, id take 220 for then your saving bones of 20 euro between rate and commission at the airport for them. im based in cork/dublin so if you want to swap cool. i have a mate going end of the year but would like to get rid of them sooner so if your interested yet me know

well they worth straight up swap 227 euro on todays excahnge rate, id take 220 for then your saving bones of 20 euro between rate and commission at the airport for them. im based in cork/dublin so if you want to swap cool. i have a mate going end of the year but would like to get rid of them sooner so if your interested yet me know

I'll give you 150 and not one penny more, not one penny more

• Advertisement

I'll give you 150 and not one penny more, not one penny more

:rolleyes:

funny man

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

Re Cuban Visa
    I've looked through this thread quite a bit but some of the info around getting a visa is a bit confusing...
    I just want to know if we go the embassy with our passports, will we get our visas there and then?

We fly later in the month but we don't live in Dublin (but are ok with going up for the visa)

frebel wrote: »
    Re Cuban Visa
    I've looked through this thread quite a bit but some of the info around getting a visa is a bit confusing...
    I just want to know if we go the embassy with our passports, will we get our visas there and then?

We fly later in the month but we don't live in Dublin (but are ok with going up for the visa)
    Yes.

You'll need your flight details, and an address that you're going to stay at in Cuba (we used our first hotel address), and evidence of insurance (I think). So make sure that you have all the required info before you go there (I'm sure you could ring or email them to check).

I went in with the form filled and had the visa in less than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I'm looking at going to Cuba in July 2016 as part of a honeymoon which will also incorporate a Caribbean cruise and a trip to Las Vegas.

With the recent sanction easing between Cuba and the U.S. has the route between the two countries opened up at all? Is it easy or feasible to travel between the two? Does having a European passport make any difference?

I've been in to a few travel agents and they're not very well informed about it so wondering if anyone on boards is any more knowledgeable on the topic?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VitorDias

Hello there guys,

Me and my fiance are looking for a vacation in Cuba in November.

I was taking a look around for flights and the cheapest i get is with AirCanada (760€ +/-) but with travel time of 28 hours... and then 1000€ but nearly half travel time... from your experience what should i go for?

And how long should i stay in Havana? 3 nights will be enough?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

We're going KLM direct in march €1800 for flights for two. 0600 depart Cork, arr 0835, depart 10.30. arr 15.20local. About 16 hours total, not too bad.

Can someone please help with the tourist card....going to Cuba soon but not sure if I need it beforehand or can get there. Also do I need to present myself at the Cuban embassy in Dublin with passport to apply or is it possible to apply through post?? Anyone who has been to cuba and can provide some insight? Muchos gracias

• Advertisement

It took ten minutes when I got one a couple of years ago.

Advertisement