Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 IrishGooner83

Had done a little bit of looking around and given limited time, have opted for the company Intrepid Travel.

Gone for this route:
    http://www.intrepidtravel.com/ie/cuba/cuba-shoestring-102737

Interested to hear if anyone else has used Intrepid or any of these Cuba routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Had done a little bit of looking around and given limited time, have opted for the company Intrepid Travel.

Gone for this route:
    http://www.intrepidtravel.com/ie/cuba/cuba-shoestring-102737

Interested to hear if anyone else has used Intrepid or any of these Cuba routes?

Haven't read the whole thread but not sure if anyone has suggested a 'taxi collectivo' to you. Basically you'll see taxi drivers at the bus stations offering to bring you to your destination. Go with them! They'll fill the car with other tourists and the fare will end up similar to getting a bus but it'll be much faster and they'll do you to exactly where you need to go.

I'd never get on a viazul bus again after using their taxis. They'd do the equivalent of cork to belfast for the price of the bus fare.

I'd second what anyone said about the food. It's horrendous. And I'm not fussy.

Pm me if you need any more on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I thought the food was grand myself...had heard so many horror stories before going there that i expected the worst, but it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

restaurants and hotels mainly, with a bit of street food when we figured out the places to go that took CUP only - pizza places and skewered meat etc.
    Restaurants and hotels had a lot of moros rice, which i liked, and the meat and fish was mostly fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Fancier restaurants, bars and hotels are all CUC only. guys on the street or away from the main tourist places are usually all CUP We followed the locals, see where tey went and used bad spanish...a lot of the local places had the prices advertised, and as locals dont have CUC, we paid in CUP. A few would try saying its a CUC price, so would either haggle or walk away.

The 2 tier money system is a balls to work though, and i know that they are dirt poor there, but i wasnt going to be paying 25 times the price the guy in front of me paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I found the food in the casa particulares I stayed in to be far superior to any restaurant we visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I heard horror stories of the food being terrible, shops being barren like something out of soviet russia etc etc. I found it to be grand. The casas we stayed in did brilliant breakfasts to set you up for the day, savage meals with serious portions, especially in the casa we stayed in Vinales. The restaurants in Havana did good food for cheap prices. My GF is vegetarian so she found it a bit tougher to find a variety of food besides beans and rice/salad or pizza but otherwise the food wasnt an issue over there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I guess a lot of it is expection based. We read in advance about the poor food choice / flavours so had low expectations but the food was better than we expected. If you rock up expecting Asian standard choice and flavours then obviously you will be disappointed

Btw if you want a break from the rice and have a bit of US food then head to sloppy joes in Havana, nice place with interesting photos and western food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement