Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology Leaving Cert timing?

Options
  • 21-02-2015 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone able to recommend me the timing of the paper? I have a terrible teacher who hasn't a clue. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I don't do Technology but do you have exam papers? If so, they should contain timing in them.

Failing that, you can use the fairly reliable formula that practically applies to any exam:

Marks That The Question is Worth
    X Total Time on the Paper = Time You Should Spend on the Question
    Total Marks on the Paper

It makes the most sense to use this formula in minutes. For example, Section A is worth 72 marks out of 200. The paper is 150 minutes long. Therefore:

---- X 150 = 54 minutes

That means you can spend 4.5 minutes answering the required 12 questions or 3.6 minutes (3 minutes 36 seconds) answering all 15. This is only a guideline however. You might be able to do this faster and allocate extra time to the longer questions. Do through a whole set of questions and see how long it takes you to do and make a judgement from that.:)

In addition, that's 36 minutes on Section B, 18 minutes per question or 6 minutes per part (like (a), (b), etc) in it.

You should spend 60 minutes on Section C. That's half an hour per question and 10 minutes per part (like (a), (b), etc) in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tzashi

website is pretty much empty but there is a little on technology and timing and all so id give it a look it helped me

leavingcertguide(DOT)com/technology

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Heya JohnDunne,

Only saw this now but hopefully you see it. I'm a Technology teacher so I'll give you a good breakdown of the subject and exam:

There are 3 sections - A, B & C.

Section A: 72 marks (36%)
    Section B: 48 marks (24%)
    Section C: 80 marks (40%)

Advice: Do Section A first, then Section C. Leave B until last. Even if you get both questions on Section B perfect you still haven't passed the exam so don't do them first. I'll break the sections up for you below:

Section A (Question 1)
    You have 15 short questions and get marked out of 12 (do all 15). These are based on the entire core part of the course e.g. mechanisms, sketching, electronics, ICT, materials, manufacturing, energy and technology in society. Use examinations.ie and do all of these without the solutions, then mark them yourself with the solutions and do them again. Use pastpapers.ie to get previous mock papers. They're about €2 and paper with the solutions. Plenty of practice and you should fly through them.

Section B (Question 2 & 3)
    Question 2 and 3 are broken up into four parts: a) b) c) and d). You HAVE to do a) and b) and you choose either c) or d). For example, you either do part a) b) and c) or a) b) and d). This too is based on the core part of the course as I mentioned above.

Section C (Options 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5).
    Option 1: Applied Control Systems
    Option 2: Electronics and Control
    Option 3: ICT (Information Communication Technology)
    Option 4: Manufacturing Systems
    Option 5: Materials Technology

My advice, if short on time for revision just choose Option 3: ICT and Option 5: Materials Technology. These too are broken up into a) and b) then c) or d).

Notes:
    If you're notes are not that great go to http://www.t4.ie/cpd_tech.htm. Combine them with www.technologystudent.com and more importantly the past papers and you'll be fine. Obviously look more towards 2011-2014 paper as the subject was only introduced in 2009 so the first two papers I'd consider trial and errors.

The past papers are excellent provided you study the solutions combined with notes e.g. If there was a question on material tensile testing and results look at the solutions first and then the notes on the t4.ie website. It would be no harm using the Engineering book for Leaving Cert. A lot of cross curricular stuff here. http://www.edcodigital.ie/books/engineering-technology-3rd-edition/. Make sure it's the 3rd edition as it's got better examples.

Project Book:
    http://www.t4.ie/Exam_Assessment/Technology/HL%20Sample%20Brief.pdf Here is a sample higher level project book. Use it for good guidance and you should be fine.

Advertisement