Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sectarianism in the Republic of Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hitchens wrote: »
    is it 'cos you're from Kildare? :eek::pac:

:P I'm not even from Kildare and in fact I've moved from there very recently, must change that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I was at a party in college where a young Irish girl took exception to an English guy coming over here for college.

She actually compared him "taking a college from an Irish person" to the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland

In fairness her comments went down like a lead balloon and she was swiftly taken home by her friends and put to bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I wonder what OP thinks of a Rugby loving unrepentant Fenian bastard like me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Sectarianism in the Republic of Ireland
    Lesson 1: The name of the country is Ireland or Éire, not Republic Of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Strumms wrote: »
    :P I'm not even from Kildare and in fact I've moved from there very recently, must change that. ;)

Blow in:p

Karl Stein wrote: »

You can do no wrong in my eyes since you posted about how to clean up a laptop. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Candie wrote: »
    You can do no wrong in my eyes since you posted about how to clean up a laptop. :)

Glad to be of help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've got friends who'll greet me with awroit mate, ows it goin. Cor blimey it's a bit faackin parky tonight. To which they'll get a top o the mornin to ya, tis a grand stretch in t evenin to be shure to be shure. Other than that, no one ever takes the piss out of my accent.

I've never been refused service, in fact I find a lot of Irish people make an extra effort and are overly nice to the English.

I had an old guy have a go at me before I moved over. I was wearing my pompey shirt and he told me they all knew I was English, I didn't have to flaunt it by wearing my football shirt. At this point, the lads sat either side of him in Liverpool shirts took the piss out of him mercilessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If you put the ball into the scrum he tries to listen to see if it's ticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Your still a bollex :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Ah,I had his number as early as when he said that he thought Pat had stopped working on the buildings in 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 contactbackup

What does that actually mean

Strumms wrote: »
    Well why so upset about it ? Why start two separate threads minutes apart ? Going by the tone of what you post, the defensive nature of your replies which seem to be driven by the fact you are not being agreed with or perhaps some neurological issue coming into play you definately do have some sort of deep seated issue.

I am still awaiting you to clarify why I am the only one here with a victim complex btw. Feel free to dodge that :pac:

What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What are you on about?

Think that question might me more apt when put to you my skinny friend ?

But dodge away ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I think their was a certain rugby set your after op. People like Tony O' Rieally .ect
    But you may as well be chasing cambrige rowing nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

diomed wrote: »

I'm surprised he didn't call it southern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I am well aware of banter. After living away on bases and previously boarding at school, rugby tours etc.. I am well aware of banter.

Its not so much that you're English. its that you are fcuking posh.

Build a bridge.

Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Who says he means Ireland as a nation? Maybe he just wants to limit the conversagtion to the 26 counties? And who the hell actually referrs to the country as "Eire"?

Knowing AH, if he'd he written "sectarianism in Ireland" we'd be talking about the North right now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've always held Church of Ireland members in high regard. Good decent charitable people. We're all Christians on this island, there's no need for any hostility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

We have neighbours who are English. Its kind of weird, they accept tardiness from people and seem to think that that's the way things work over here. Things like a tradesman being a few hours late for something or never showing up. If that happened to us we'd tell them to f off and never come back unless they had a damn good excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Sometimes it's not the accent, it's the perceived attitude.

Prince Philip is incredibly popular among some people here because he is seen as a kind of anti-establishment figure who doesn't give a flying fark about protocol (even though he is nothing of the sort).

One strategy is to pretend to be American. People will fawn over you.

I don't think The Greek is popular at all. I think Irish people just find his idiocy amazingly funny and every racial slur he spouts more hilarious than the last.

IMHO the reason Irish people think he's great is because he shows up the idea of monarchy for exactly what it is, outdated nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't think The Greek is popular at all. I think Irish people just find his idiocy amazingly funny and every racial slur he spouts more hilarious than the last.

IMHO the reason Irish people think he's great is because he shows up the idea of monarchy for exactly what it is, outdated nonsense.

Absolute Balderdash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Cant be agreeing with that at all. Prince Philip has that 'sure feck it' attitude that us Irish tend to love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Maybe they just dont like you OP.

Only time my nationality comes up is when it comes to watching football or rugby, and will I support Ireland or England, and then its only from a few, and in the form of banter.

In 16 years I have never been refused service, the closest i have incountetered xenophobia or sectarianism i could count on one hand, half of which was from drunks, and the others making assumptions based on my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

If you read the post it never says I was refused service. I was implying some people can be chippy. Rolled eyes and whispers when the brit changes his order,,,it does get noticed,
    blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business
    This is what's in the first post, is this not refusal of service? Looks like it to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Mint Sauce wrote: »

We have stated this a few times to the OP, but he does not want to accept it. More convenient for his agenda to rabbit on about Irish insecurity etc....

Its not us OP, its you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

explain this difference

You like Mrs. Brown's Boys, we think it's ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

He's just being descriptive. The OP just wasn't sure how to distinguish from Northern Ireland. He is is from the Constitutional Monarchy of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Cant be agreeing with that at all. Prince Philip has that 'sure feck it' attitude that us Irish tend to love.
    "If people feel it has no further part to play, then for goodness sake, let's end the thing on amicable terms without having a row about it."
    • On sentiment against the British monarchy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

As a British national of Irish Heritage I encounter ....just blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business.

That's how we like it here - to go about our business unhassled.

What are you looking for; people to recognise you are English and bow to you, doff their hats, roll out a red carpet and sing God Save the Queen for you ?

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Only time my nationality comes up is when it comes to watching football or rugby, and will I support Ireland or England, and then its only from a few, and in the form of banter.

In 16 years I have never been refused service, the closest i have incountetered xenophobia or sectarianism i could count on one hand, half of which was from drunks, and the others making assumptions based on my name.
    Why is everyone saying about being refused service. I never said that but it seems to be what the masses here have digested from the thread. Very odd.

McGaggs wrote: »
    You like Mrs. Brown's Boys, we think it's ****e.

Yet how many irish TV awards does it have...whats its viewing figures. It is loved by the same ilk.

We have stated this a few times to the OP, but he does not want to accept it. More convenient for his agenda to rabbit on about Irish insecurity etc....

Its not us OP, its you.

Clearly not. I get along well with Irish people except the ones who use terms such as Mott or Deadly.

Noblong wrote: »
    I think their was a certain rugby set your after op. People like Tony O' Rieally .ect
    But you may as well be chasing cambrige rowing nowadays.

Babelfish says no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Stating fact at the end of a post does not make it so. Even if you are 12, which you very well just might be.
    I have no victims complex I just started a debate on a issue that exists on a message board. I don't let it effect my life and it doesn't or can't have any effect on my professional life.

There are some, not many, Irish people who have such a brittle sense of identity that anything that might remotely suggest to them that the Republic is anything less than picture perfect in every respect, is a personal affront to them. No different from the scumbags who I occasionally met in London who never failed to bring up potatoes, Guinness, the IRA or pronounciation of the letter "H".

TL;DR there are pr1cks everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Babelfish says no

I see you've met D4 then. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I don't think a lot of people know what Sectarianism actually means on this thread:p

As a protestant growing up in East Donegal I never had any issues at all. This might have something to do with the fact that the area is pretty much split 50/50 in terms of population. Also, there seems to be a lot more mixing and intermarriage in this area than across the border.

The only time I have ever had anything which could be construed as malicious directed at me was some inbred Kerryman while at Trinity of all places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I don't think a lot of people know what Sectarianism actually means on this thread:p

As a protestant growing up in East Donegal I never had any issues at all. This might have something to do with the fact that the area is pretty much split 50/50 in terms of population. Also, there seems to be a lot more mixing and intermarriage in this area than across the border.

The only time I have ever had anything which could be construed as malicious directed at me was some inbred Kerryman while at Trinity of all places.
    he might have thought you were an inbred Donegalman ........just saying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Was on holidays in Puerta Del Carmen last year, stayed in a really nice hotel & as we went in September it was really after quietening down in the hotel. There were only maybe 20 people staying in the whole place. Everyone very friendly, nice & quiet...apart from the English couple that was staying there.

The guy used to go down to eat his breakfast every morning topless, with his tshirt tucked into his shorts. Have no idea why he couldn't put it on!

By the pool everyone lazing around either chatting, reading a book, in for a quiet swim or whatever. It was lovely really quiet. Until the English couple came. He used to bring an English flag down to the pool with him & tie it across the back of the 2 sunbeds. Still no problem with that I just found it pointless. He & his wife would drink cocktails all day & get absolutely destroyed drunk & get very. Literally the entire pool area could hear their conversations. We were there 10 days & they had sex in the swimming pool two or 3 times. No need it it with elderly people around & also I didn't want to be swimming in their contaminated water.

What took the biscuit though was on our last night me & my girlfriend were coming home after being out for dinner & a few drinks. We found the English couple passed out in the foyer of the hotel. She had pissed herself & one of the 2 of them had gotten sick. They were an absolute disaster & yes that experience did put me off English people. They're just ignorant people. There was no need for any of those incidents to happen but they did due to the ignorant & crass nature of the English people. That chip on their shoulder isn't going anywhere any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

coopdog85 wrote: »
    Was on holidays in Puerta Del Carmen last year, stayed in a really nice hotel & as we went in September it was really after quietening down in the hotel. There were only maybe 20 people staying in the whole place. Everyone very friendly, nice & quiet...apart from the English couple that was staying there.

The guy used to go down to eat his breakfast every morning topless, with his tshirt tucked into his shorts. Have no idea why he couldn't put it on!

By the pool everyone lazing around either chatting, reading a book, in for a quiet swim or whatever. It was lovely really quiet. Until the English couple came. He used to bring an English flag down to the pool with him & tie it across the back of the 2 sunbeds. Still no problem with that I just found it pointless. He & his wife would drink cocktails all day & get absolutely destroyed drunk & get very. Literally the entire pool area could hear their conversations. We were there 10 days & they had sex in the swimming pool two or 3 times. No need it it with elderly people around & also I didn't want to be swimming in their contaminated water.

What took the biscuit though was on our last night me & my girlfriend were coming home after being out for dinner & a few drinks. We found the English couple passed out in the foyer of the hotel. She had pissed herself & one of the 2 of them had gotten sick. They were an absolute disaster & yes that experience did put me off English people. They're just ignorant people. There was no need for any of those incidents to happen but they did due to the ignorant & crass nature of the English people. That chip on their shoulder isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Just as well the Irish don't act like this while on hols

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

You sound like someone who cries into their pillow when someone makes fun of them. Go figure.

'Go figure'..what part of the USA are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

LorMal wrote: »
    'Go figure'..what part of the USA are you from?

Wow you're a bright one. Did that make you feel like a big man? Maybe you can look your missus in the eye today when she manhandles you into the bedroom.

That's how we like it here - to go about our business unhassled.

What are you looking for; people to recognise you are English and bow to you, doff their hats, roll out a red carpet and sing God Save the Queen for you ?

Nasty, insecure, chip on the shoulder..

Wow you're a bright one. Did that make you feel like a big man? Maybe you can look your missus in the eye today when she manhandles you into the bedroom.

Ha! Spoken like a true American!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ignorance is easily take advantage of. I've won lot of bets with drunks who's version of their own history is very limited. The amount of people who don't realise that Cromwell was a regicide is hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

catbear wrote: »
    Ignorance is easily take advantage of. I've won lot of bets with drunks who's version of their own history is very limited. The amount of people who don't realise that Cromwell was a regicide is hilarious!

Indeed, he chased some of my ancestors out of England, over here. Some are still here, so the place can't be that bad. I think what people are inclined to forget is, how intertwined the English and Irish are genetically. Perhaps they could be best described as squabbling members of the same family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ha! Spoken like a true American!

Well you've got an American wit, or a very dull one in other words.

Well you've got an American wit, or a very dull one in other words.

its Texas, ain't it? I'm right, ain't I? Have you got a Cowboy hat and a pick up truck?
    Go figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭somuj

i will live in hope that all ejits in this thread will have a stroke and die :-)

oh **** might get banned

that first line of book I am writing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

its Texas, ain't it? I'm right, ain't I? Have you got a Cowboy hat and a pick up truck?
    Go figure

:confused:

Really?

:confused:

Advertisement