Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on controls for UFH + Rads + Thermal Store

Options
  • 21-02-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,
    First post here and hoping for some experienced advice on heating controls & wiring for a new build at first fix stage.
    House is 3000sqft 2 storey detached in the country, actually west Clare if anyone on here knows this part of the world.

We started the house a few years ago but halted build at 1st fix stage due to lack of funds and banks not lending (it was v.bad here for a while) Got mortgaged up now and finally ready to restart.

So, here's where I am at on the heating side:

UFH heating is installed downstairs plumbed to a manifold under the stairs. There are 12 loops on the UFH, serving 7 rooms (incl hall and downstairs bathroom). Radiator pipework installed upstairs.
    Planned heat sources (not installed yet) are condensing oil boiler and a multi-fuel stove with back boiler to top up the heating during the winter. May install solar thermal at some future date. To link these heat sources I am going for a 400 litre thermal store with direct connections for the oil boiler and stove plus a coil for the solar. DHW is provided by a plate heat exchanger on the thermal store. Not sure if I can mention names here but I will and let the mods delete if necessary.
    I’m going for the Heating Integration Xcel Heatbank.
    That’s the basics. Now my question is what’s the best way to control all this? I want individual room control on the UFH via wall stats, probably TRVs on the rads but open to ideas on this. Got a family of 5 at the moment so much of the house will be heated most of the time. However as the children move out, and it’s just me and the missus, it’s likely some rooms will be heated only occasionally.
    I’ve googled all over the place, seen wiring centres from Heat Miser and the like, but haven’t found a system that manages UFH zone and Rads and gives a wiring layout the electrician can follow. Would be very interested to hear from anyone with a similar need and learn from their experiences.
    Thanks in advance
    Hammerfan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MasterOfNone.

Hi Hammerfan,

I am in a similar position although a much smaller property approx. 1200 square foot (bungalow with 8/9 loops), it is a renovation and I would be really interested to know what system you went with in the end.

I am planning to go with a pre plumbed 300l thermal store. The only one I could find with a plate heat exchanger for the DHW was in the UK through a company called Specflue Ltd and it is working out very expensive (approx. 2200GBP ex VAT with tappings for Solar, Oil Burner, Solid fuel stove, UFH and Rads and incl. the plate heat exchanger and backup electric element).

Where did you source your thermal store and how did you get on with the controls?

Thanks.

Advertisement