Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog thieves North Dublin

• 21-02-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all

Recently when walking my dog I got asked some strange questions from guys sitting in a car. Do you have paper on her ? Where do you live ? Same thing happen to my miss few days before. Ive read somewhere in the past that dog theft is becoming more common. Was anyone in the similar situation before ?

They were not dog enthusiasts that you usually meet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

peavey555 wrote: »
    Hi all

Recently when walking my dog I got asked some strange questions from guys sitting in a car. Do you have paper on her ? Where do you live ? Same thing happen to my miss few days before. Ive read somewhere in the past that dog theft is becoming more common. Was anyone in the similar situation before ?

They were not dog enthusiasts that you usually meet.

No, but my dog trainer advised us that there are guys hanging out in St Anne's park, waiting for off lead dogs to wander into the trees, where they snatch them.

Also, according to the trainer, there are guys in white vans actually following people home to see where they live and marking their walls, or footpath outside the house, with a chalk symbol so that someone can come back during working hours and break in to steal the dog.

So don't answer any suspicious questions, and if you are suspicious drop into the conversation that the dog is neutered. They are mostly looking for dogs to breed in puppy farms. If you think you are being followed, take a long way home, or avoid going home if possible.

Check for markings outside your house.

And report anything suspicious to the Gardai. At least they can warn people.

I have heard about st annes park also, i reported in in Animals and Pets. Dog walkers there where warned that there were guys doing that. Last year i heard about a girl walking an Akita, had the dog stolen from her in Mulhuddart. A guy in a Blue Subaru.

Its becoming more and more common. Even if you look on adverts. So many dogs are stolen and shipped to the UK in a matter of days.

Here is the worst part. If somebody is caught steeling a dog. They will get a suspended sentence and not do any time. Due to the monetary value of the theft.

To the family who's dog is stolen, its a lifetime of misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peavey555

thanks Arbiter. will keep an eye out

Dre as in drey
    how did they manage to steal Akita ? was it a puppy ? I have a big dog aswell (over 50kg). I cant imagine anyone getting close to her.

Literally picked it up dragged it off her and threw it in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DforDisaster

Literally picked it up dragged it off her and threw it in the car.

This scares the pants off me and is something I worry about when walking our dog on my own. I'm not well built, nor am I any good at defending myself.

• Advertisement

This scares the pants off me and is something I worry about when walking our dog on my own. I'm not well built, nor am I any good at defending myself.

I wouldnt worry too much about that, alot of the time they dont want to be seen. I have the same worry in my house and my dogs. My house has been attempted 6 times and i have managed to catch them every time. But i feel my luck is running out.I am half considering re-homing my dogs to safer homes due fear i have of them falling into the wrong hands. Gardai will not lift a finger. 2 neighbors where done last night :(

The perils of living close to a certain Irish demographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I wouldnt worry too much about that, alot of the time they dont want to be seen. I have the same worry in my house and my dogs. My house has been attempted 6 times and i have managed to catch them every time. But i feel my luck is running out.I am half considering re-homing my dogs to safer homes due fear i have of them falling into the wrong hands. Gardai will not lift a finger. 2 neighbors where done last night :(

Terrible. My house was done last August. The culprits are still out & still breaking into other houses.

I now have cameras with motion detect & if movement is detected then I get a message to my phone. I can also view my house via camera through my phone when out & about or depending on where I put the camera from upstairs at night.

Don't rehome your dogs. Terrible that you feel forced to do that.

I woke up to about 10 texts from neighbors. 6 This morning my neighbor woke up with a knife to her throat by a man holding her little dog. He then put the knife to the dogs throat and threatens to kill him and he if she didnt get the keys to the car :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I woke up to about 10 texts from neighbors. 6 This morning my neighbor woke up with a knife to her throat by a man holding her little dog. He then put the knife to the dogs throat and threatens to kill him and he if she didnt get the keys to the car :(

Oh my F***ing GOD!!! Are your neighbour and her dog ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jesus, I hope she's ok.

Always leave car keys and wallet somewhere downstairs that they can find them. I know it's awful, but I'd prefer for them to help themselves and leave than to come looking for stuff.

And I know barking dogs are a nuisance, but they're one of the best burglar deterrents if you don't have an alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My god that's awful Dre :) Can I ask what area that's in (in Glasnevin/Drumcondra myself)? We have bell boxes on both sides of the house and alarm on at night or when we're out BUT i'd stopped putting it on when I was doing some training with the dogs working on Bailey's sep. anxiety because he was setting it off - going to take my chances now and leave it on!! Still leaves me with the dilemma of keeping him confined to one room though (Lucy robs his treat and then he barks the whole time) - Bailey is the one who'd bark/possibly attack an intruder but I don't think Lucy would do anything!

Its Dublin 15. Its very sad and a constant battle here, which is a shame because its such a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

jesus lads where do ye live? wouldn't you love to catch them in the act with hurl in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I am half considering re-homing my dogs to safer homes due fear i have of them falling into the wrong hands.

I get this and completely understand where you are coming from. A good few years ago that certain demographic got wind of where we lived with our lurcher :eek: You can imagine how interested they were. We tired to get the Guards involved but they weren't interested and advised us to rehome the dog :mad: We were terrified to leave him on his own when we went to work, or even walk him in the immediate area so we were dropping him at my parents house every day. It was awful.

We were lucky that we were able to move and haven't had any similar problems since (*touch wood*) but if the problem reoccurred again I would seriously consider rehoming my dog rather than him ending up with them.

In fact it was such a stressful experience at the time that it is pretty unlikely we will ever get another lurcher once our current one passes away :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jesus wept Dre... I can't begin to imagine how bloody utterly terrifying that was. Jesus. Worst nightmare :(
    I hope your neighbour is ok, though I don't really know how anyone could fully recover from something like this.
    Best wishes to you all :(

those certain Irish people where caught by the garda outside my house today. They searched the car but let them away.They where going door to door again. Normally a number of breakins follow. I am delighted that they actually turned up and approached them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Jesus if anyone did that to my dog I'd offer them me! :eek: Horrendous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DforDisaster

:-( I can't imagine how stressful they must be for you. I really hope it gets resolved soon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had three of my four dogs stolen last December here in rural Kilkenny, I was so depressed and it still does to think of it.

Then I got told they might have been stolen to bait fighting dogs, read a story how dogs stolen for bait are muzzled, paws taped and they are put in an enclosure for the fighting dog to attack. It sicken me to think this might have happened to my collies, they were such lovely dogs.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dogs-being-stolen-streets-transported-1798032

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( That's terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Sick individuals. Absolutely sick.

The Guards need to come up with ways of catching these horrible people.

Sick individuals. Absolutely sick.

The Guards need to come up with ways of catching these horrible people.

Why? At most they'll get a slap on the wrist from our joke of a legal system. Why would a Garda be bothered catching and prosecuting these people when they know it would be a waste of time? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Why? At most they'll get a slap on the wrist from our joke of a legal system. Why would a Garda be bothered catching and prosecuting these people when they know it would be a waste of time? :(

Exactly! I believe the animal welfare laws were 'updated' last year but even the old ones weren't reinforced so what was the point, heaven forbid this ever happened to me I think I'd hire one of those pet detectives, there's a reason that there's a market for them, it's cos the law doesn't give a flying fig.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Exactly! I believe the animal welfare laws were 'updated' last year but even the old ones weren't reinforced so what was the point, heaven forbid this ever happened to me I think I'd hire one of those pet detectives, there's a reason that there's a market for them, it's cos the law doesn't give a flying fig.

Yup definitely one of those situations where I would [do something that the charter prevents me from posting] :)

And actually here's a thought, although my family think I've gone bats. We got a leaflet advertising a GPS tracker that can be worn on a collar or put in someones's pocket. They are being marketed towards relatives of people with Alzheimers, the idea being that if they wander off, you can go online and it will give five coordinates to help you locate them. You can also pre-set perimetres so that if they go beyond them, you get a notification. Apparently this technology is used in some high end vehicles and I suggested it might be a good idea for pets too. It's all well and good having them chipped, but that only really comes into play if someone finds them and has the decency to take them to a vet/shelter and someone else has the cop on to scan them and then call you. There are an awful lot of what ifs there. And a chip wont matter a damn if your pet is robbed. I am seriously thinking about getting one of these for our dog, and having it incorporated into her collar or something so that it's not obvious. Of course, they could just dump the collar :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

peavey555 wrote: »
    Recently when walking my dog I got asked some strange questions from guys sitting in a car. Do you have paper on her ? Where do you live ?
    Write down the reg, a description (hair/eye colour, facial hair) of the people in the car, and their accents, and give it to the Gardai. The Gardai can only act on what they know.
    Yup definitely one of those situations where I would [do something that the charter prevents me from posting]
    Likewise. Would be in favour of treating said people like the Viet Cong :pac:
    Of course, they could just dump the collar :(
    The collar would probably be dumped fairly close to where they were operating from. From a quick Google, it seems some of the collars even alow you to track your dogs heart-rate, to see when he's most active during the day :D

The Gardai generally don't do anything, as the type of people who are stereotypically doing this are generally the sort of people that Gardai need armed Gardai with them when carrying out a dawn raid.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

God some of these stories are just awful! Can I ask what dogs are they going for?

I don't even tell the usual enthusiastic dog owners details about my dog.....not even my dogs names!!!

Yup definitely one of those situations where I would [do something that the charter prevents me from posting] :)

And actually here's a thought, although my family think I've gone bats. We got a leaflet advertising a GPS tracker that can be worn on a collar or put in someones's pocket. They are being marketed towards relatives of people with Alzheimers, the idea being that if they wander off, you can go online and it will give five coordinates to help you locate them. You can also pre-set perimetres so that if they go beyond them, you get a notification. Apparently this technology is used in some high end vehicles and I suggested it might be a good idea for pets too. It's all well and good having them chipped, but that only really comes into play if someone finds them and has the decency to take them to a vet/shelter and someone else has the cop on to scan them and then call you. There are an awful lot of what ifs there. And a chip wont matter a damn if your pet is robbed. I am seriously thinking about getting one of these for our dog, and having it incorporated into her collar or something so that it's not obvious. Of course, they could just dump the collar :(

They should put a GPS system into the dogs microchip....then there is no way of removing it!

Ashbx wrote: »
    They should put a GPS system into the dogs microchip....then there is no way of removing it!

Exactly! Be a good idea for kids too I think!

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Ashbx wrote: »
    I don't even tell the usual enthusiastic dog owners details about my dog.....not even my dogs names!!!

I don't think they would steal a dog because of its name.

• Advertisement

I don't think they would steal a dog because of its name.

No, but it means they could call the dog if they wanted to! And its very easy to throw a dog into your car when they come to you when called.

Advertisement