Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog thieves North Dublin

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Ashbx wrote: »
    No, but it means they could call the dog if they wanted to! And its very easy to throw a dog into your car when they come to you when called.

Never thought of this. Thankfully my brat doesn't come when she's called :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

They should put a GPS system into the dogs microchip....then there is no way of removing it!

I'm pretty sure a GPS module would be huge compared to an RFID chip. It would also need power a lot of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

Isn't there a company in Celbridge doing this GPS thingy? Snooty paws, something like that? Woofys kennels told me about it. If I can find it, I'm getting my dog done.

This thread is absolutely heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Isn't there a company in Celbridge doing this GPS thingy? Snooty paws, something like that? Woofys kennels told me about it. If I can find it, I'm getting my dog done.

This thread is absolutely heartbreaking.

Think this is the one you mean? http://www.snoopypetfinder.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They should put a GPS system into the dogs microchip....then there is no way of removing it!
    Impossible I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

Were these lads chinese by anychance ?

was just reading this ......

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/160-dogs-stolen-a-week-as-christmas-draws-near-301255.html

Its talking about the Christmas rush and dogs being stolen.

Then i looked at adverts.ie and searched Stolen .....

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/pets/624/q_stolen/

All dogs stolen in December.

The fact they are getting over to the UK so easily needs to stop. Pet Passports etc.. this needs to be enforced. It seems no checks are being done on the ferry crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

oh my lord, i read this thread and got so scared.

as soon as i let my dog Raven off the lead in st annes she's gone..
    in the bushes, chasing squirrels, leaves, birds..

i allow bout 2 mins then call her and she comes darting out then goes off again...
    my other half thinks i panic too quick when i can't see her running through the trees.

I would be absolutely heart broken if she was taken..

like i don't know what i would do , and then the thoughts that would go through your mind too.

really heart breaking

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hmmm...
    I think the stories doing the rounds about dog thieves lurking in the bushes in St. Anne's, and marks being put on walls of houses are entering into the realms of urban myth.
    It's no harm to remain vigilant of course, but I would not quite go into panic mode either. Social media is such a great thing... But my dog, it facilitates the spreading of bull like wildfire too!

my other half wants a second dog that could handle itself.. And protect us.

with each story i hear I'm a step closer to allowing him!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I wouldnt worry too much about that, alot of the time they dont want to be seen. I have the same worry in my house and my dogs. My house has been attempted 6 times and i have managed to catch them every time. But i feel my luck is running out.I am half considering re-homing my dogs to safer homes due fear i have of them falling into the wrong hands. Gardai will not lift a finger. 2 neighbors where done last night :(

The perils of living close to a certain Irish demographic.

Stick a couple of cameras up outside the house, front and back, maybe?

Incidentally, I found a chalk mark on the gatepost of a blind elderly neighbour, which corresponded with one of the "Da Pinchi Code" marks used by thieves, a mark that means "living alone and trusting". I washed it off and told his fiercely protective next-door neighbour. Marks didn't reappear.

Vel wrote: »
    I get this and completely understand where you are coming from. A good few years ago that certain demographic got wind of where we lived with our lurcher :eek: You can imagine how interested they were. We tired to get the Guards involved but they weren't interested and advised us to rehome the dog :mad: We were terrified to leave him on his own when we went to work, or even walk him in the immediate area so we were dropping him at my parents house every day. It was awful.

We were lucky that we were able to move and haven't had any similar problems since (*touch wood*) but if the problem reoccurred again I would seriously consider rehoming my dog rather than him ending up with them.

In fact it was such a stressful experience at the time that it is pretty unlikely we will ever get another lurcher once our current one passes away :(

I don't mean to sound stupid,

but why would the be interested in a lurcher?

like, for speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

shakencat wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound stupid,

but why would the be interested in a lurcher?

like, for speed?

They like to take the lurchers lamping and coursing, for the lolz :(

oh :(

One lurcher, Rosie, was found in a shocking state and lovingly returned to health by the staff at <snip>. Then she was stolen from their kennels.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lurcher-snatched-from-louth-kennel-30977371.html

A Twitter, Facebook and media campaign across Ireland and into Britain resulted in someone telling them where to find her, and when they called to the door of the house where she was, she was put over the wall and raced to the <snip> people.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/celeb-pup-rosie-too-hot-to-handle-for-dognappers-31049283.html

Here's the moment when she was reunited with her loving minders:

https://www.facebook.com/GalwaySPCA/posts/10153160276981255

DBB wrote: »
    Hmmm...
    I think the stories doing the rounds about dog thieves lurking in the bushes in St. Anne's, and marks being put on walls of houses are entering into the realms of urban myth.

The St Annes story we got straight from the Gardai in the area. As well as another person who walks the dogs there. Regards the marks on the wall. Unfortunately i fell victim to that and was in the paper regards to it. I would have said it was an urban myth too only that i had suffered 5 break in attempts at that stage read about the markings and clear as day, they where on my wall beside the front door.

Fair enough Dre, I don't doubt you, though I've had a number of PMs and reported posts from people in the area complaining about it generally being blown out of proportion.
    If any of those who made this argument to me would like to supply any links, please feel free :)

Fair enough Dre, I don't doubt you, though I've had a number of PMs and reported posts from people in the area complaining about it generally being blown out of proportion.
    If any of those who made this argument to me would like to supply any links, please feel free :)

On a quick google:

http://dublinpeople.com/article.php?id=748
    Pet owners warned following thefts
    NORTHSIDE pet owners are being urged to beware of brazen opportunists who are literally stealing dogs in front of their owners.
    Northside People understands that a number of dogs of various breeds and ages have been stolen in the Donaghmede, Donnycarney and Coolock areas in recent weeks.

Thanks qualitymark,
    I don't have time today to start googling... that article is over 3 years old. Is there anything more up-to-date?
    It would be interesting to see if anyone has come up with a pattern to this... as the vet nurse in that article also felt that there was no particular pattern about the 4 dogs that were stolen, but maybe a more solid pattern has emerged since the article was written?
    I know one of the guards in Raheny, they weren't aware of any particular organised dog theft ring going on in the area, but that's just one guard. Maybe someone out there knows more!

Thanks qualitymark,
    I don't have time today to start googling... that article is over 3 years old. Is there anything more up-to-date?
    It would be interesting to see if anyone has come up with a pattern to this... as the vet nurse in that article also felt that there was no particular pattern about the 4 dogs that were stolen, but maybe a more solid pattern has emerged since the article was written?
    I know one of the guards in Raheny, they weren't aware of any particular organised dog theft ring going on in the area, but that's just one guard. Maybe someone out there knows more!

Didn't realise the article was old. The talk about dogs being stolen seems to be béaloideas; I've certainly heard it here in the deep south, where people are warning each other not to leave their dogs outside the shops in Kimmage and Rathmines, and when a dog was seen waiting anxiously for his master outside one shop the other day there were three groups of people standing chatting nonchalantly until his owner came out and claimed him, when the conversations all ended and the people drifted away, anxiety settled.

Oh, and the chalk mark I wrote about - that was around a month ago; another neighbour's house was burgled during the last month, and her neighbour two doors up saw a lad drop into his back garden and went out and told him to go back out, that he was calling the guards. "Call them," the lad said (in an ordinary Dublin accent) and hopped back up on the shed and over. The neighbour went out and through to the front, where the lad's friend was waiting at the front gate, and when burglar A came whizzing by, burglar B raced away in his wake.

Hard to say if the dognapping stories are true, but dogs do seem to be being reported on lost animal websites as having disappeared from gardens.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Think this is the one you mean? http://www.snoopypetfinder.ie

Thank you. I like the idea of it but if my dog was snatched could the thieving scumbags not just take the chip and collar off and dump it rendering it useless and untraceable?
    I'm gonna talk to the company, see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thank you. I like the idea of it but if my dog was snatched could the thieving scumbags not just take the chip and collar off and dump it rendering it useless and untraceable?
    I'm gonna talk to the company, see what they say.

Yeah I think so - surely the first thing they do would be to take off the collar?

tk123 wrote: »
    Yeah I think so - surely the first thing they do would be to take off the collar?

I'll let you know what the company say, though am not optimistic about the viability of the product.

There are always the people who will things are being blown out of proportion. This is why i left the Dublin 15 Neighborhood watch Simply because i people where saying that i was making things up etc... Fortunately i had 2 mods from the security forums out to meet my neighbors etc and witness first hand what is going on.

With regards to break-ins/dogs stolen etc... figures have risen 500% in the past 2 years. But official figures have not been released yet and are usually a year behind. But if do have to look at trends. If you leave out a skip with any kind of metal in it, this metal will be taken simply because it has value. 5 years ago this was no existent. THis is how much the world has changed in recent years.

So when it comes to dogs, there is value to them. Some more then others. There are the storys of dogs being stolen for bait but the majority of dogs are being stolen for monetary value, either for breeding or to be shipped to the UK. Its easy and simple and well organized.

There are different elements to the steeling of dogs though. There are the organized crime groups who have well worked plans.

There are also the other group who are more opportunist who literally steel the dogs if an opportunity arises. Then the dogs showing up at a certain festival in Galway in which its still wearing its original collar.

Best advise would be to neuter your dog, chip your dog. REGISTER THE CHIP.
    If your dog is stolen and its Neutered and chip registered chances are they will just try and sell it on to an unsuspecting family in the UK. Then there is a high chance to get it back.

At this moment in time i am working with some TDs and security people regards to our estate. If i had more time i would start working with TD's about pushing laws to make dogs more then just monetary property. This way there can be harsher repercussions for those involved with Dogknapping.

https://www.dogstrust.ie/az/s/stolendogs/default.aspx#.VP2d7OGtlZo
    http://www.herald.ie/news/microchip-plea-as-gangs-steal-dogs-to-order-30524234.html
    http://petfriendlyireland.com/dognapping/
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/precious-and-sentimental-trophy-stolen-from-local-branch-of-the-irish-guide-dogs-30695922.html
    http://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/pic-someone-has-stolen-james-mccleans-two-dogs/439024
    http://www.thejournal.ie/pet-farm-kerry-dogs-found-cork-1628654-Aug2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Much harder to ship dogs to the UK now. Passports are being checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Knine wrote: »
    Much harder to ship dogs to the UK now. Passports are being checked.

I've travelled out of Dublin on the ferry to Holyhead five times since September (including over Christmas weekend) with various combinations of working gundogs (docked springer spaniels and a Labrador) including a twelve week old puppy. I have never even been asked about the dogs never mind had their passports checked. Dogs are visible in the back of the 4x4 in Lintran boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm part of the dog show world & believe me they are checking much more frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Knine wrote: »
    I'm part of the dog show world & believe me they are checking much more frequently.

I've heard this just not seen any evidence, I trial gundogs and I haven't found a single person in the trialling world who hashed their dog checked. I'd be delighted if they did step up the checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

It takes a special kind of lowlife to steal a dog. My mam (60 years old now) remembers when she was a small child, she was playing with her dog Max, a terrier, in the back garden. After a few minutes she noticed she was being watched by someone standing at her wall. The man at the wall asked her the name of her dog, and if he was for sale. My mam said no, the guy went away, and as a child she thought no more of it. The next day, the poor dog was stolen from the back garden. What kind of bastard could do that to a child?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

jungleman wrote: »
    It takes a special kind of lowlife to steal a dog. My mam (60 years old now) remembers when she was a small child, she was playing with her dog Max, a terrier, in the back garden. After a few minutes she noticed she was being watched by someone standing at her wall. The man at the wall asked her the name of her dog, and if he was for sale. My mam said no, the guy went away, and as a child she thought no more of it. The next day, the poor dog was stolen from the back garden. What kind of bastard could do that to a child?

Unfortunately, we live in a country full of bastards like this... greed runs Ireland.

Advertisement