Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle Against Suicide 2015

• 21-02-2015 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Had a look and haven't seen anyone start a thread for this year's Cycle against Suicide. I'm going to be attempting the full 2 week run for the first time, anyone else getting involved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Healium wrote: »
    Hi all,

Had a look and haven't seen anyone start a thread for this year's Cycle against Suicide. I'm going to be attempting the full 2 week run for the first time, anyone else getting involved?

I'd love to but I just can't give up two weeks of my time.

I'll do the weekends and SPinoffs where I can.

It'll be a very handy spin anyway. 100k a day and paced at 20k/h

Did the Spinoff out to Cross last weekend and it averaged about 17k/h in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I had planned to do one or two of the weekends but clash of dates with non-cycling related activities. Damn you family!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm hoping to try and fit in a leg somewhere. Maybe the middle Saturday or Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Orion wrote: »
    I had planned to do one or two of the weekends but clash of dates with non-cycling related activities. Damn you family!!!!
    Afternoon Orion, dont you just hate it when family make a tits of your bike plans! And as for work, dont get me started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well to be fair I've been out every weekend this year training for the Galway Cycle and heading away then for that weekend. Then again for the weekend in June for the Tour de Burren and have a few other sportives earmarked so I should really spend a little time with the kids. Won't be doing Cycle Ataxia with you this year I'm afraid - same day as the Burren. But we should get out for a spin together once the GC is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

yeah put me down for a spin on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Anyone know if the website will be updated, could do with some info. eg sign on times, baggage transfer,etc, training plan was mentioned also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I'm down for the leg into and out of Portlaoise. Just need to organise transport to Clonmel and back from Mullingar.

Anyone know roughly what time the legs get started each day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Daithi BC wrote: »
    I'm down for the leg into and out of Portlaoise. Just need to organise transport to Clonmel and back from Mullingar.

Anyone know roughly what time the legs get started each day?

Hi Daithi BC

The Legs start at 10.30 with a break for lunch at 2ish. im like yourself as im hoping to get down to clonmel from dublin. 3-4 trains a day to clonmel as far as i can see. Now to convince the little lady..

Dermot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just went to register now €80 for 2-7days cycling I don't remember it being that much the last 2 years or having to choose how many days you wish to cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭kingshankly

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Just went to register now €80 for 2-7days cycling I don't remember it being that much the last 2 years or having to choose how many days you wish to cycle.

Was thinking of doing it as my employers will pay for anyone who wants to do it and a free goodie bag.
    Anything to extract money from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

As far as I can remember in other years there was a once off registration fee that allowed you to take part in as many legs as you wanted to.

As far as I can remember in other years there was a once off registration fee that allowed you to take part in as many legs as you wanted to.

Yeah I remember that myself I did a few intermitent days last year and just had to let them know at reg. I don't remember being shocked at the entry fee though. Maybe I was flush at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

The Ashbourne Spin-off is this Saturday 21st leaving from the GAA club at 10am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

WOW, if i remember correctly it was 40 last year (and the year before that).
    You also could do 1 or more legs, you were not asked upfront what legs you planned on doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Taken from their website.

What is the registration fee?
    One day of cycling is €50 for a standard entry and €25 for students/unwaged.

One to seven days of cycling is €80 for a standard entry and €40 for students/unwaged.

Eight to fourteen days of cycling is €110 for a standard entry and €55 for students/unwaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Considering that this is an awareness campagin, I am somewhat blown away by the price being charged.

I'm a notoriously tight person anyway but this is a very close cause to my heart. Nonetheless, It seems quite high !

It's way too much,when you consider the cause and the fact it's starting and finishing in a different place each day. Having said that I'm doing 2 stages,

I thought it was just me. Very pricey indeed considering it's main aim was to raise awareness not to raise funds. I guess that idea has changed. I'm still undecided at the minute but feel it's a great awareness campaign none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gordieboy04

So is there many on here doing much of this cycle? I'm doing the 7 days of week 2 and can't bloody wait to get on my bike in Tralee and get pedalling.

On a personal note I think 70 euro for 7 days is exceptionally good value. Breakfast, lunch, home stays, cycling jersey, support crews etc are all being provided and yes the argument is there that all that stuff is sponsored but I'd much rather pay 70 for all that than register for free and have to provide for myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Doing the route from Tralee to Cork City.

Doing the route from Tralee to Cork City.

I'll see u there!

P.s. I'll be the one in the orange jersey

On a personal note I think 70 euro for 7 days is exceptionally good value.

Where are you getting that price from?

Regular Entry for 1 day cycling: €50.00
    Regular Entry for 2-7 days cycling: €80.00
    Regular Entry for 8-14 days cycling: €110.00

I agree it's good value if you're making use of the 8 days but not so much for those who will only do 1-2 days which will more than likely be the majority taking part.

Anyway hopefully it's another successful year for CAS.

Where are you getting that price from?

Regular Entry for 1 day cycling: €50.00
    Regular Entry for 2-7 days cycling: €80.00
    Regular Entry for 8-14 days cycling: €110.00

I agree it's good value if you're making use of the 8 days but not so much for those who will only do 1-2 days which will more than likely be the majority taking part.

Anyway hopefully it's another successful year for CAS.

70 is what I paid when I registered in early December. I've got a screenshot of the receipt but don't know how to post it! Maybe it was cheaper to register then than now a sort of early bird deal.

No need for proof I was just curious to the price. Strange they had an early bird price. Seems there's been a review on the cost of running this event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭sham58107

70 is what I paid when I registered in early December. I've got a screenshot of the receipt but don't know how to post it! Maybe it was cheaper to register then than now a sort of early bird deal.

Yes there was early deal,but in fairness you do get alot of support.
    I would say insurance may be problem or maybe CI, if you do spinoff it is 30 but if you are CI member it is only 10,there were nearly 2000 going into Naas last year so somebody saw the pound signs.

That spin into Naas last year was incredible I don't think I'll ever forget that reception. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm hoping to do the full 2 weeks. Had an email today saying we won't find out about accommodation for 2 weeks...

Healium wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do the full 2 weeks. Had an email today saying we won't find out about accommodation for 2 weeks...

They must be getting it hard to get accommodation. My mate is doing the 2 weeks aswell and got the same email yesterday, I'm doing 1 week but I haven't got it yet. Might have to get the tent out of the attic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

We were supposed to find out today about accommodation, not heard anything yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Really looking forward to it. I'm doing 12 days this year, would love to do the 14 again but I'll have to take 2 days off because of work commitments.

Regarding the costs, compare any of these cycles: Mayo Pink Ribbon (€100 - 1 day), Ring of Kerry (€85 - 1 day), Ring of Beara (€55 - 1 day). The CAS costs includes a jersey (like many of the above) and lunch & other food for as many days as you're doing. If you want to do one day and €50 is a stretch for your budget, ask them if you can pay the €25 unwaged ticket - I seriously doubt they'll say no.

Say hello if you see me on the road - I'll be the short fat guy on this:
    pf8CTBW.jpg

Would anyone be travelling up to Enniskillen from Longford on the Thursday morning, that I could share a lift with, and bring my bike also. Will share expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Doing the Birr to Limerick leg, looking forward to it, would love to do the whole tour, maybe next year

How's the homestay hunting going for people? We've 3 out of 6 sorted so far. Mullingar cork and skibbereen all responded more or less straight away and accepted our request. Still no availability showing in clonmel or portlaoise but fingers crossed that will change. Bantry is a bit of a mystery! 11 requests sent out so far and only 2 responses to say not available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Sorted except Bantry but the earlier email explains the hitch so I would expect that will be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 john23rd

Home stay hunting is a bit of a maze. Have about 4 still to sort. Hoping it all works out. I'm doing the full14 days. My third year ! Triple lifer!

I've got all my nights sorted now. I'm doing 13 of the 14 days (only missing the Skibbereen to Cork stage). I'll have 3-4 "official" homestays, a couple of unofficial homestays with cyclists who offered on Facebook, 4 B&Bs, and 4 nights with friends or family. Only Bantry unplanned and it should work out with a homestay, if not no problem getting a hotel etc. Apart from that one, I don't actually want any more homestays as I like to stay in a B&B every 3rd or 4th night for a bit of independence :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

doing the first couple of days in northern ireland .

just looking at the route map ,second day the morning cycle is 86.9 km

Tuesday 28th April 09.30-13.00

but the first morning is 57km in the same time frame 10:30 -14:00

I'd say the first distance is wrong the cycle averages about 20km/h.

That distance might be correct if we go by road around the coastline way. If we go across Lough Foyle on the Greencastle Ferry then it could be a lot shorter. (I don't know what we're doing)

• Advertisement

They'll be upping the average so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so who's doing it this year?? might take part in the nenagh to limerick leg myself

http://www.cycleagainstsuicide.com/your-route/map-2015/

I am doing Birr to Limerick. Looking forward to it now

its not getting much media coverage this year is it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Getting everything in order for tomorrow's leg from limerick to Tralee:)
    Looking forward to this.

Thoroughly enjoyed today, wish I was doing tomorrow aswell, Might see if I can join back up later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Shocking bad coverage. No one turned up in Nenagh (except the volunteers of course) to welcome the cyclists after the rain. And there weren't as many as you'd expect in Limerick. All the radio was talk of the Riverfest and the Great Limerick Run tomorrow. Awful! And seeing as 2FM are one of the main sponsors there's been nothing about it on the radio.

I paid €70 for the 2-7 days option and have done Thu and Fri already , will I be covered if I were to do next Sat and Sun.

Shocking bad coverage. No one turned up in Nenagh (except the volunteers of course) to welcome the cyclists after the rain. And there weren't as many as you'd expect in Limerick. All the radio was talk of the Riverfest and the Great Limerick Run tomorrow. Awful! And seeing as 2FM are one of the main sponsors there's been nothing about it on the radio.

well in fairness the weather didn't help, but for me cycling up o'connell st Limerick was still a great buzz despite the turnout

and yes 2fm should promote it more instead of the brief mention here & there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

midlands1 wrote: »
    I paid €70 for the 2-7 days option and have done Thu and Fri already , will I be covered if I were to do next Sat and Sun.

As far as I know once you've paid for the number of days you do, then you're covered.

So, if you only paid for one day, you'd have to pay more to do further days, but as you've paid for 2-7 you can do up to 7 days of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement