Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle Against Suicide 2015

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Did Birr to Limerick. Excellent marshalling it has to be said, all the way. The group was kept tight together, and it makes a pretty impressive sight as it snakes along. Especially with the already very recognisable orange dominating

Despite what I read on the website beforehand, there were bikes that were truly unfit for the road, there were under-16's, there were people without cycling shorts. There was a marshal on an An Post bicycle showing someone how to use the gears... on the move.

When we got to Nenagh there was NO food left, and given the weather that was in it sandwiches and bottled water mightn't have been the most appetising anyway. The stop at Nenagh was two hours long, before we got on the move again. Ridiculously indulgent, given the weather conditions. People were cold and uncomfortable, and just wanted to get going.

The reception we got from Corbally all the way to the top of O'Connell Ave., was outstanding. Car horns blaring, clapping and cheering, hands outstretched for a palmslap. Very heartening, and fair play to the Limerick people !

The food in Dell was delicious, vegetarian curry etc. Scones with jam. Really welcome.

Had lovely chats with people on the way, there was a great vibe as we rode along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You do realise that the stop isn't just for ye to catch a rest and have a break. They're trying to deliver their message to all the kids in the school which no doubt can run on from time to time.

There are plenty of sportives on at the minute which might suit you better. The cycle is only part of the bigger picture.

As for the food if they ran short blame your fellow cyclists that over indulged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Did Birr to Limerick. Excellent marshalling it has to be said, all the way. The group was kept tight together, and it makes a pretty impressive sight as it snakes along. Especially with the already very recognisable orange dominating

Despite what I read on the website beforehand, there were bikes that were truly unfit for the road, there were under-16's, there were people without cycling shorts. There was a marshal on an An Post bicycle showing someone how to use the gears... on the move.

When we got to Nenagh there was NO food left, and given the weather that was in it sandwiches and bottled water mightn't have been the most appetising anyway. The stop at Nenagh was two hours long, before we got on the move again. Ridiculously indulgent, given the weather conditions. People were cold and uncomfortable, and just wanted to get going.

The reception we got from Corbally all the way to the top of O'Connell Ave., was outstanding. Car horns blaring, clapping and cheering, hands outstretched for a palmslap. Very heartening, and fair play to the Limerick people !

The food in Dell was delicious, vegetarian curry etc. Scones with jam. Really welcome.

Had lovely chats with people on the way, there was a great vibe as we rode along.
    the guy on the an post bike has cycled all around ireland on it and might be the fittest cyclist on the road, amazing how he does it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

With a username like that its no wonder you have a negative vibe, you do understand the idea of the stop offs is to spread the message of suicide & mental illness, anyway i enjoyed the stop off at nenagh, some really inspirational speeches.

well it isn't the tour de france...wearing bicycle shorts wtf?? who cares what they wear as long as they get there....and as for the bikes i used a mountain bike and got by fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

philstar wrote: »
    With a username like that its no wonder you have a negative vibe, you do understand the idea of the stop offs is to spread the message of suicide & mental illness, anyway i enjoyed the stop off at nenagh, some really inspirational speeches.

A bit harsh. You can't spread a word if your entire crew are all down with a dose of the flu.

I've been in one of those stop offs and two hours being cold and wet is not at all pleasant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

MugMugs wrote: »
    A bit harsh. You can't spread a word if your entire crew are all down with a dose of the flu.

I've been in one of those stop offs and two hours being cold and wet is not at all pleasant.

c'mon now don't exaggerate ...i didn't see anyone keeling over, most people seemed cheery

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You do realise that the stop isn't just for ye to catch a rest and have a break. They're trying to deliver their message to all the kids in the school which no doubt can run on from time to time.

There are plenty of sportives on at the minute which might suit you better. The cycle is only part of the bigger picture.

As for the food if they ran short blame your fellow cyclists that over indulged.

You do realise that the kids don't go to school on a Saturday ? Which is probably why there were so few of them around.

You do realise that the pace did not require a rest ? Nevertheless, the scheduled break was for one and a half hours - that was their estimation of what it would take to get the essential message across.

In conditions such as those, a bit of cop on would have possibly put the light entertainment to one side. None of us were unaware of why we were there, but if it wasn't for a sportive then neither was it for the ceili, which on another day would have been very welcome.

As for the food, how do you know anyone over-indulged ? How do you know there was enough ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you seem to be fed up sick and tired

With a username like that its no wonder you have a negative vibe,
    Very selective reading of my post by you there. Suiting yourself, of course.
    you do understand the idea of the stop offs is to spread the message of suicide & mental illness, anyway i enjoyed the stop off at nenagh, some really inspirational speeches.

Two hours of them ?
    wearing bicycle shorts wtf?? who cares what they wear as long as they get there....and as for the bikes i used a mountain bike and got by fine

I don't care if everyone wears a tutu. But read the FAQ section of the CAS website. If no-one cares, why put the stipulation there ?

It says something about the organisation to place emphatic conditions that look good on the website, but no-one can be arsed to oversee on the day.

And no-one said anything against mountainbikes. What are you on about ? Again, inform yourself by going to the event's own website.

There were bikes there that were mechanically unsound ie dangerous. Specifically, a slipping derailleur, a mudguard held on only at the top of the forks. Ridiculous.

If you can't do people the courtesy of reading their posts accurately... why bother at all ?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you seem to be fed up sick and tired

You seem to be greasy.

c'mon now don't exaggerate ...i didn't see anyone keeling over, most people seemed cheery

People see what they want to see, just like they read what they want to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

As for the food, how do you know anyone over-indulged ? How do you know there was enough ?

Are you finished whinging now. My kids complain less. I've never known someone to be so self centred.

Clearly the entire reason for the cycle was lost on you.

Are you finished whinging now. My kids complain less. I've never known someone to be so self centred.

I think you're overdoing the indignation somewhat.

You made some hasty assumptions, it happens.

Any more faux condescension though, and it's the naughty step for you.

To be serious - my reason for doing the cycle is my own, and you have absolutely no business to make that a point of attack.

Odd that someone as sensitive to fair comment as you have shown yourself could be so inensitive on the issue.

You have no idea what I or those closest to me know about suicide.

The event is there to be discussed. I highlighted the positives of the day, and make no apologies for highlighting some of it's shortcomings as well.

There is always room for improvement in any endeavour, and CAS is no different. To believe otherwise is just a bit precious.

I think you're overdoing the indignation somewhat.

You made some hasty assumptions, it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK - cut out the bickering and get back on topic

Any questions PM me - do not respond in-thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I did 3 days from Tralee to Cork and loved it. The Tralee to Bantry leg was tough not least with the weather but still a great day with 127km covered. The guys on the crew do a great job and its very well organised - of course with so many on the road to look after there are bound to be hitches but they manage them well. I'd say as a cyclist we don't hear about hardly any of the mishaps the crop up in the day.
    The welcomes and homestays were great too. The welcome / send off in Skibbereen was especially amazing and a real high point.
    Stopping at my local Centra in Innishannon on the leg to Cork and seeing it awash with orange was surreal :)

So today is the last day, they'll end up in RTE donnybrook...so maybe 2fm will give it a mention for once, very poor coverage from them seeing that they're one of the main sponsors.

Well done to all involved in CAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

fryup wrote: »
    So today is the last day, they'll end up in RTE donnybrook...so maybe 2fm will give it a mention for once, very poor coverage from them seeing that they're one of the main sponsors.

Well done to all involved in CAS.

made it onto the 6 and 9 pm rte one news

i was part of the irish rail team, yesterday was great from start to finish . lots of friends made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

peteeeed wrote: »

i was part of the irish rail team, yesterday was great from start to finish . lots of friends made

I had jersey envy yesterday seeing ye :)

• Advertisement

the bbq looked nice, wish i was there for that alone :p
    peteeeed wrote: »

yes on the very last day when it was their doorstep, too little too late i think, during the cycle itself there was very little coverage both tv & radio

Advertisement