Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of converting a field to a Lawn

• 21-02-2015 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at a house that has never had the site landscaped. Its a .75 acre site but excluding the house and driveway I suppose its about .5 acre to be landscaped. Its currently covered with grass but its more like a field then a lawn.

I would just want to get a lawn put down in turf but have no idea how much that would cost? The site is pretty level so groundwork would be minimal.

Any insight to what costs might be like would be a great help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

A friend of mine did this many years ago on a site of about 1 acre. He just started mowing the field with a lawnmower. He got the grass height down gradually and it worked out fine he never re-seeded it or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Robertr wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking at a house that has never had the site landscaped. Its a .75 acre site but excluding the house and driveway I suppose its about .5 acre to be landscaped. Its currently covered with grass but its more like a field then a lawn.

I would just want to get a lawn put down in turf but have no idea how much that would cost? The site is pretty level so groundwork would be minimal.

Any insight to what costs might be like would be a great help. Thanks.

It very much depends on current conditions and assuming reasonably good access and level grounds, most likely will require spraying, scraping off, waste removal and re-sowing. Expect to pay in the region of € 2.00/sq m

It depends on what you want in the finish If you want a proper lawn then you will have to go the way Sonnenblumen said. But according to the price that will cost you around €4000. If you only want to get the place tidy then go the other way. The garden in front of my house was originally a field. In the first year I strimmed it for the first 4 or 5 cuts and raked up the grass. After that I started using a mower. At the end of the season I had a tidy garden but it had all sorts of grasses and rushes and lots of weeds but it was tidy.

The following year I sprayed for weeds a few times. I mulched for some of the cuts too. I rolled it with a hand roller a few times. In general now I have just grass, and some weeds. Its not a pristine lawn but i'm happy enough.

A few points though. My garden was about half the size. I had a top end pro strimmer and a 17.5 hp tractor mower at the time. Id say this made it easier. I cut it with a push mower now. Drainage was not a problem either. A big ditch at the bottom seem to keep it well drained after I cleaned it out. All in all though it cost me the price of petrol, weed control and fertilizer. Sometimes I had to get a guy to cut it. That cost €40 a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just cut it for a year and see if it needs further work. Don't try and cut it down really short 2 inches will do to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I had a similar problem last year. I had 2 small fields, one just over a half acre and one a little smaller. The small one used to be lawn, but had overgrown for a few years and the bigger one was rough and wild.

I was quoted €800 to get the bigger one power harrowed, seeded and rolled. That was a bit more than I wanted to pay so I got a mate to run a normal harrow over it. I stone picked it, raked it and hand seeded it (I wouldn't recommend if hard work scares you :P). It turned out fine. Not lawn fine, but football fine.

The smaller one came around after a few cuts and de-weeding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement