Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Men assaulted a lesbian couple in Limerick

• 21-02-2015 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

independent.ie/irish-news/news/exclusive-they-were-stepping-on-our-chest-they-kneed-and-kicked-us-31008810.html

Two very good friends of mine were attacked in Limerick City last week. It's a truly disgusting story but in this day and age we shouldn't have to put up with Homophobic attacks like this.

CCTV Footage in the area is very poor so if anyone knows anything, please talk to any member of the Gardí. Limerick City is better than this and we should standn't for this kind of behavior on our streets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Saw that article myself. Not surprised if I'm honest because I hear people having domestics outside my window most nights. That coupled with rag week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Disgraceful incident...it takes a particularly twisted individual to attack two women whatever their sexuality...hope these people are caught, and the girls recover.

Incidentally how did the Indo get exclusive rights to this incident it happened a week ago almost. Exclusives are normally stories where money exchanges hands, Why is the comment section closed off?

It is also worth pointing out that the Indo is also the organisation that declared Limerick to be the Murder Capital of Europe (in an outrageous twisting of stats) , and have twice declared the Limerick feud to be reignited in the last two months, this "newspaper" clearly has a particular appetite for stories of a criminal nature in this city, is it now paying out money to victims in return for exclusivity, which would be a worrying development, if not how did they secure exclusivity?

Why didn't local press go with it? Are local press sweeping this under the carpet which is a worrying development in itself...how has this story taken a week to surface and how have the Indo obtained "exclusivity"?

A lot of questions need to be answered about this story, I suspect most people on this forum and elsewhere won't bother asking those questions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Disgraceful incident...it takes a particularly twisted individual to attack two women whatever their sexuality...hope these people are caught, and the girls recover.

Incidentally how did the Indo get exclusive rights to this incident it happened a week ago almost. Exclusives are normally stories where money exchanges hands, Why is the comment section closed off?

It is also worth pointing out that the Indo is also the organisation that declared Limerick to be the Murder Capital of Europe (in an outrageous twisting of stats) , and have twice declared the Limerick feud to be reignited in the last two months, this "newspaper" clearly has a particular appetite for stories of a criminal nature in this city, is it now paying out money to victims in return for exclusivity, which would be a worrying development, if not how did they secure exclusivity?

Why didn't local press go with it? Are local press sweeping this under the carpet which is a worrying development in itself...how has this story taken a week to surface and how have the Indo obtained "exclusivity"?

A lot of questions need to be answered about this story, I suspect most people on this forum and elsewhere won't bother asking those questions...

It's a disgusting story.

I think you need to take a deep breath though before you start making claims about how people on this forum react.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brendn

Since I know the girls I can fill you in.

The reason it's in the Indo' is because a friend who works for the paper found out about the story. The writer was furious about the incident and made sure to get in touch with them asking for an interview.

It was the Indo' who made the first move, got in touch with them and carried the story. I'd imagine the other papers may not know because the two girls are a) quite shaken about it and b) prioritizing going to the Garda to make statements before (if at all) going to the papers.

This isn't the indo' being anti-Limerick and looking to target the city, it was good investigative journalism and taking a newsworthy story. Don't make this more than what it is. It's about two girls who were attacked for begin lesbians; it just happened to happen in Limerick City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Brendn wrote: »
    Since I know the girls I can fill you in.

The reason it's in the Indo' is because a friend who works for the paper found out about the story. The writer was furious about the incident and made sure to get in touch with them asking for an interview.

It was the Indo' who made the first move, got in touch with them and carried the story. I'd imagine the other papers may not know because the two girls are a) quite shaken about it and b) prioritizing going to the Garda to make statements before (if at all) going to the papers.

This isn't the indo' being anti-Limerick and looking to target the city, it was good investigative journalism and taking a newsworthy story. Don't make this more than what it is. It's about two girls who were attacked for begin lesbians; it just happened to happen in Limerick City.

Fair enough, it would explain the exclusive nature of it...it embarresses local press on top of it. Best of luck to the pair nobody should have put up with that kind of abuse, it's beyond comprehension.

It's normally the guards who inform the newspapers of these incidents.

20 years of a media onslaught takes its toll on me sometimes, i guess there is none of us perfect.

• Advertisement

Cruises Street at night is a dangerous spot for anyone.

It is kind of worrying that it's not covered by CCTV properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

The newest street in limerick which is supposed to be the centre of the city has crap cctv? What the hell!
    No one should be attacked for being themselves, hope they get caught quickly.

phill106 wrote: »
    The newest street in limerick which is supposed to be the centre of the city has crap cctv? What the hell!
    No one should be attacked for being themselves, hope they get caught quickly.

It's hardly new to be fair. And I think Bedford Row/Thomas Street has a better claim to be the center of the city these days.

Cruises Street is long past its heydey, long past. Over the past five years it has become run down and grubby and with all the empty units it was depressing as hell. It also became a favourite hangout for scobes of every description. I generally avoided the place and wouldn't set foot there after the shops close.

Glad to see the empty units have filled up but the whole street could do with a good scrub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

I'm not surprised. My wife and I had a very nasty experience with scum on Cruises street around two years ago. I posted about the experience on here. I was told by some That I was obviously 'out in the wrong part of town', and 'don't be coming on a limerick forum to give out about it' and 'if you don't like limerick then don't come here'. I guess these girls were just out in the wrong part of town as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Ludikrus wrote: »
    I'm not surprised. My wife and I had a very nasty experience with scum on Cruises street around two years ago. I posted about the experience on here. I was told by some That I was obviously 'out in the wrong part of town', and 'don't be coming on a limerick forum to give out about it' and 'if you don't like limerick then don't come here'. I guess these girls were just out in the wrong part of town as well.

There isn't a city in Ireland that isn't infested with the tracksuit and pajama wearing sub-species. The main problem is they know they can get away with their scumbaggery 90% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Unprovoked attack - if the girls had said nothing, they wouldnt have been bothered. Sounds like they were looking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Mc Love wrote: »
    Unprovoked attack - if the girls had said nothing, they wouldnt have been bothered. Sounds like they were looking for trouble.

Are you seriously suggesting it was their own fault that they were assaulted? Words fail me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Y'wha? They didn't initiate the altercation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Are you serious? I am actually shocked at this response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

abff wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting it was their own fault that they were assaulted? Words fail me.
    roast wrote: »
    Y'wha? They didn't initiate the altercation.
    Parchment wrote: »
    Are you serious? I am actually shocked at this response.

While of course I believe everyone has the right to say whatever they want, as a matter of personal safety, sometimes it is prudent not to respond to comments said to you. You don't know what kind of psychos are out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Originally Posted by Mc Love View Post
    :eek::eek:

It's Limerick (In Western Europe) we're talking about here - not Kabul or Kandahar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

tippman1 wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

It's Limerick (In Western Europe) we're talking about here - not Kabul or Kandahar.

Exactly - i cannot comprehend the people trying to rationalise why this happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

phill106 wrote: »
    While of course I believe everyone has the right to say whatever they want, as a matter of personal safety, sometimes it is prudent not to respond to comments said to you. You don't know what kind of psychos are out there.

In some cases, I'd agree. But not here. Violence isn't the answer to a verbal conflict and the victims should not be blamed for standing up for themselves.
    There's something seriously wrong with people who feel the need to beat the sh!t out of anyone who might disagree with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks, this is an ongoing legal investigation, unfortunately we can't discuss this on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement