Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the case and power supply OK for this build?

Options
  • 21-02-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey all! I'm looking to get a new computer (Once again) and I'm hoping to play the 'oul GTA5 on high/max settings when that gets released as well as a bunch of other games. I'll also be doing some heavy 3D modelling, too, so I've been checking out these:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K @4GHz
    Processor cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
    DVD drive: I'll be using the one from my old PC. Don't know the make.
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB
    Motherboard: ASUS Z97-DELUXE
    Graphics card: ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX970 4GB
    SSD: Kingston 128GB SSD
    SSHD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB&8GB SSD/HDD Hybrid
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
    Power supply: Seasonic M12II Bronze Evo Edition 750w

The thing I'm worried about here is the case and the power supply. Both the Noctua cooler and the GTX970 look massive and I'm not sure if they'll fit in the Cooler Master case. Also, would a 750w PSU be enough for everything here?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Max CPU Cooler Height 186 mm / 7.3 in
    Max GPU/PCI Card Length 322 mm / 12.7 in

And that system would probably be fine on 400W

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

Max CPU Cooler Height 186 mm / 7.3 in
    Max GPU/PCI Card Length 322 mm / 12.7 in

And that system would probably be fine on 400W

Thanks for that! The cooler and the card will be able to fit in the case.

Anyway, it turns out I have a 500w power supply left over from my old computer, but it has one of those 6x2-pin PCI-E connectors. Would that work with the GTX970 or do I need a power supply that has an actual 8-pin connector?

Thanks again!

As long as it can supply 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors it should be fine. AFAIK the 970's that require 8-pin connectors come with a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter cable.

As long as it can supply 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors it should be fine. AFAIK the 970's that require 8-pin connectors come with a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter cable.
    Ah crap, I meant a 6+2-pin connector, not 2 6-pin connectors. Would that be alright on it's own or should I use the adaptor if the card has one?

ger101 wrote: »
    Ah crap, I meant a 6+2-pin connector, not 2 6-pin connectors. Would that be alright on it's own or should I use the adaptor if the card has one?

A 6+2 is exactly the same thing as a single 8-pin, so you're fine there. If the card you get requires 8+6, then hopefully you have another 6 pin, or you could use a molex to 6 pin adapter.

adapter-2x-molex-6pin.jpg

• Advertisement

A 6+2 is exactly the same thing as a single 8-pin, so you're fine there. If the card you get requires 8+6, then hopefully you have another 6 pin, or you could use a molex to 6 pin adapter.
    Oh, that's great! Yeah, there's an extra 6-pin connector. Anyway, I'm pretty much sorted now. Thanks very much for all the help!

Advertisement