Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in close proximity to a closed dump

• 21-02-2015 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I'm interested if there has been any published articles on hazards of living near a closed dump.

I'm asking because I see a house for sale locally that is about 1km from an old dump, this was closed in the late 1980's or maybe early 1990's.

I see other houses have been build closer to the site (approx 100 / 200 metres of it).

Also apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, please move if appropriate!

Cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You'll even find houses built on dumps after a few years when the ground has had time to settle, plenty of playing fields too. I went to school within a few hundred metres of a dump, we got a tour of it during ecology class which was pretty interesting.

The EPA would have strict rules on dumps and their cleanup when they're closed. Likewise for building, the foundations of the house would need to be solid, so the surveyor would have to be happy that teh ground is good before building went ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

The only thing you should be looking out for it creeper and flyer. You don't want a little thing like a fly bringing you down. So apart from what @ tree as said. I would also add a box of insecticides to my load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

I lived in a house once that I was told was built on a dump. I'm still alive to tell the tale. I would advise a good engineering survey and don't envisage too many other difficulties as the site has hopefully 'levelled' at this stage.

Advertisement