Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats

• 21-02-2015 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

hey lads, I've got a rat in the back garden and have been trying to catch him for about a week now with no luck. I've a cage trap out and put fresh meat in it every evening and he is just not interested. I watched him last night in the dogs pen eating dog **** after he walked right passed the meat so I picked up the ****e and put some into the cage and still no luck. If been watching him coming and going the last hour out the kitchen window and still no interest in the food if in the cage! Right now if meat that I charred, dog ****e and tuna in it and he has zero interest!

In a housing estate so shooting is out unless I could get an air rifle!

Fresh out ideas here now, anyone any advice???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Melt lard in the microw, when its nice and soft mix engine coolant in with it, let it harden up and leave outside for him to nibble on , but make sure not to leave it somewhere pets can get at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Not a fan of poison tbh, too slow and painful even for a rat And wouldn't like something else to eat him after and get poisoned. Plenty of buzzards round here

here he is again......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Let the doggy at him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Please don't cause it such a slow painful death. Keep at the traps unless of course it's not causing any real problems if that's the case leave it alone. Remember the cause of the rats success is our waste and rubbish. Rats and mice so so well because of humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ive found chocolate works great. I got traps that had a plastic base with a little hole for bait. I bought a sqeezy bottle of chocolate that you put on ice cream ( the one that doesn't harden) and it hasn't failed to draw them in.
    I live next to an old scrap yard and a derelict house as well as a river about a hundred metres away so its an ongoing issue. Whenever they are in the garden (the sensor light goes on) The traps with chocolate get them quick smart.

Ive found chocolate works great. I got traps that had a plastic base with a little hole for bait. I bought a sqeezy bottle of chocolate that you put on ice cream ( the one that doesn't harden) and it hasn't failed to draw them in.
    I live next to an old scrap yard and a derelict house as well as a river about a hundred metres away so its an ongoing issue. Whenever they are in the garden (the sensor light goes on) The traps with chocolate get them quick smart.

I'll give that a go now man cheers. I'm the same with the sensor lights, put them up about 2 weeks ago and was wondering why the lights were on when the dogs had been in then I saw the ****er last week

PucaMama wrote: »
    Please don't cause it such a slow painful death. Keep at the traps unless of course it's not causing any real problems if that's the case leave it alone. Remember the cause of the rats success is our waste and rubbish. Rats and mice so so well because of humans.

I won't be poisoning it. I'll be catching it and killing it quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

aaakev wrote: »
    I won't be poisoning it. I'll be catching it and killing it quick

Best option really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'll give that a go now man cheers. I'm the same with the sensor lights, put them up about 2 weeks ago and was wondering why the lights were on when the dogs had been in then I saw the ****er last week

This is the one I use.

EDIt. Bah photo too big. Its Askeys chocolate sauce. Think it was only about 2 quid in Dunnes.

• Advertisement

This is the one I use.

Chocolate sauce now added to the mix.....

If I had an air rifle I'd have had him 10 times over,might add a cheap springer to the gun safe this year just for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Ye or .22 birdshot if u have a .22lr!

1shot16 wrote: »
    Ye or .22 birdshot if u have a .22lr!

Not in an estate, too loud

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

Try fat from a frying pan after you've cooked rashers on it dip bread in the fat

Ye not a gud idea then haha...

May get a air rifle.. kinda regret letting mine go!

1shot16 wrote: »
    Ye not a gud idea then haha...

May get a air rifle.. kinda regret letting mine go!

Yeah I had one years ago too and got rid when I bought my first "real" gun.... Should have kept it

Yeah I had one years ago too and got rid when I bought my first "real" gun.... Should have kept it

Exactly same as myself sold it last summer for the .22lr!

Air rifles are a handy piece of kit dont care what anyone says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Ape Owners

What kinda trap have you got down?Wont go wrong with a fenn mk4 in a timber box,set it along his walkway and you'll get him soon enough.Heres a pic of one I got recently,eh he's a big lad but have seen bigger running about.
    FB_20141025_08_26_33_Saved_Picture_zps35058929.jpg

It's a live cage trap, if I don't get him tonight I'm going to get the fenn. Big oul rat that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mississippi.

Theres a certain noise from springers too you know. Try and listen to a few shots before you buy one.

• Advertisement

Theres a certain noise from springers too you know. Try and listen to a few shots before you buy one.

True but nothing like a gun shot not going to alarm half the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

I think most regret changing for a REAL rifle .

I think most regret changing for a REAL rifle .

Get more use from the .22lr just air rifle would of came in handy at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭mattser

Ape Owners wrote: »
    What kinda trap have you got down?Wont go wrong with a fenn mk4 in a timber box,set it along his walkway and you'll get him soon enough.Heres a pic of one I got recently,eh he's a big lad but have seen bigger running about.
    FB_20141025_08_26_33_Saved_Picture_zps35058929.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mattser wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Indeed - no animal terrifies me more than a rat!! I've shared rooms with snakes,scorpions and spiders out foreign but the rats are the ones that have no fear,even when you fire stuff at them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

This fella does a nice clean up!

Warning: Graphic content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Rats have nerophobia, afraid of new things, eventually they will accept changes in thier environment, so persevere with the traps and they will get use to them and investigate at thier peril

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Rats have nerophobia, afraid of new things, .........l

'cept these ones :) :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Peanut butter,smear it on a good ol fashioned rat trap and that is the end of the problem.Or buy a decent powerful slingshot and a box M6 or M8 steel nuts.No noise and a sure kill on any rat I've ever dealt with.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Peanut butter,smear it on a good ol fashioned rat trap and that is the end of the problem.Or buy a decent powerful slingshot and a box M6 or M8 steel nuts.No noise and a sure kill on any rat I've ever dealt with.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement