Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

PucaMama wrote: »
    Please don't cause it such a slow painful death. Keep at the traps unless of course it's not causing any real problems if that's the case leave it alone. Remember the cause of the rats success is our waste and rubbish. Rats and mice so so well because of humans.

Poison the bastard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

People may laugh at this but i have used it dozens of times in the past. Scrambled egg. Take one egg, scramble it and lay it down at the right time. They fecking love it. Not sure if it's the smell, taste or what but it's like flies to sh*te with them.

I have two cures for rats myself:
    • Sam - He is 10 inches tall, brown spots, and a little unhinged. He has killed every rat, mouse and even tried on a few birds in the area. Even my Rottie is afraid of him.
    • Shotgun - I know not suitable for you, but the joy of living in the sticks with my nearest neighbour a half a mile away is no one would bat an eyelid at the sound of a shot. No matter the time.

So unless you have or have access to someone with a good ratter dog and the shotgun/shooting is out it looks like trapping is your only option.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Peanut butter,smear it on a good ol fashioned rat trap and that is the end of the problem.Or buy a decent powerful slingshot and a box M6 or M8 steel nuts.No noise and a sure kill on any rat I've ever dealt with.

Can't say I've much experience getting rats, haven't seen one around since I got a dog and I feed stray cats, although I've read they do no good, apparently the smell helps keep them away?although I see their droppings in the drain when I dispose of the dogs.
    I'd be wary of firing a slingshot in a confined space, in the event the ball bearings bounce back or off something and hit a window or someone, happened to me once with round pellets fired by someone else from an air rifle, bounced off something and came directly back near us, luckily no one hit, but no eye wear, probably wouldn't happen with softer non rounded pellets, but not much use for a sling shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Good jack Russell or a big buck ferret and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Sling shot is out too im afraid, too confined and he is walking on paths and along walls so ricochets will be a problem. ....

Juat checked the trap, still no joy. Im getting a fenn mk4. My local hunting shop is closed, anyone know where to get them in kildare on a Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

aaakev wrote: »
    Sling shot is out too im afraid, too confined and he is walking on paths and along walls so ricochets will be a problem. ....

Juat checked the trap, still no joy. Im getting a fenn mk4. My local hunting shop is closed, anyone know where to get them in kildare on a Sunday?

That's why I said use a steel nut.It's hexagonal and is less likely to ricochet ,Cheaper than ball bearing ammo too.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

here he is again......

That there is the easiest rat you can catch!

Step one: Place bricks, crate, or whatever you have lying around under hole!

Step two: Set trap with trigger set light good and tight to hole!

Step three: Make sure their is no other exits for rat, if so block them off!

Step four: Don't check every five minutes and you'll catch your rat!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

gctest50 wrote: »

NOEPHOBIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

gctest50 wrote: »

NEOPHOBIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

I had a similar issue last year, tried everything from chocolate to sour milk etc.... Then one night, I said I'd try some dog nuts.... Next morning I had my rat... And set it every night after that for a couple weeks and caught 3 more.... Nothing since but I always set the trap anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but if I don't act quick I'll be divorced.

Came home at 3AM on St. Stephens night to find water flowing out of the ceiling into the hall. I went upstairs and ripped up a carpet and lifted the floorboards to find four leaks in the qualpex pipe. It had been gnawed on in a number of places.

Plenty of rat droppings there too.

We had heard some noises recently so I had put a few mouse traps in the attic. We've had mice from time to time so just presumedit was them. Couldn't understand why we weren't catching them as usually we catch them quickly.

Am pretty sure the rat(s?) are only between the floorboards at the moment. We have young kids and my wife is petrified of the rat getting into the house proper.

I've laid three traps since but no luck. The traps were prebaited. Should I put extra bait on them?

Should I fill the holes I believe he is using?

Will I use poison?

I know there'll be a few people saying poison is cruel etc but to be honest I don't care. This disease carrying vermin is in my house where my wife and kids are. I went it dead. ASAP.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

The major downside to poison is they can die inside the house. We had one die in work under the floor boards the place was stink for nearly three weeks. if your going to poison don't block up their entry/exit points you want them to go outside after they've eaten the poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

The rats could be after eating poison somewhere already as the are going for the water. Dealt with a similar problem week before Xmas where mice had chewed through water pipe over kitchen and caused leak and ceiling to collapse. Id try a few traps and block any holes where they might be getting in from.

Stay away from poison lad, for various reasons as stated above. Find out where there coming from. Must be a food sourse and shelter attracting them. Set traps outside and in. Block up holes that you've found.

What type traps have you got. The black plastic ones are the best, but make sure you screw them down to floor board, or piece of timber to stop them kicking away from the rats when set off. For bait, one thing I've found irresistible to rats and mice is box of that dried crispy onion you get in idle and aldi. It's great stuff.

Hope you sortem out!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Every winter without fail I had been catching Rats as I keep a trap or two set and bait freshened all the time.
    This year I bought an ultrasonic repeller and keep it plugged in the shed at the side of the house.
    The one I bought was €55 in the local Co-Op but it was worth the money as not one rat or mouse has been caught or seen this year.

Something like this; http://www.hardwareireland.ie/product/Pestclear-Ultrasonic-MouseRatAnt-Repeller-Asstd-Sizes-78/

Hope you get sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How do rats/mice make it into an attic in the first place.
    Especially when a cavity has been filled with beaded insulation.?
    is it possible they can make it up through the rainwater downpipes and squeeze their way in between the wall-plate and tiles/slates.?

washman3 wrote: »
    How do rats/mice make it into an attic in the first place.
    Especially when a cavity has been filled with beaded insulation.?
    is it possible they can make it up through the rainwater downpipes and squeeze their way in between the wall-plate and tiles/slates.?

They can simply climb up the wall of the house. Easier than inside a downpipe. There are many little gaps in most houses/roofs, to allow them into the attic. If they can get their heads in, the rest will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Eddie B wrote: »
    They can simply climb up the wall of the house. Easier than inside a downpipe. There are many little gaps in most houses/roofs, to allow them into the attic. If they can get their heads in, the rest will follow.

Wondered about that too, so they can actually defy gravity while climbing round the fascia and soffit (for a few seconds anyway)
    Just thought the rainwater down-pipe/chute would save them the trouble, but might be too slippery to climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dubpredator2

hey lads, I've got a rat in the back garden and have been trying to catch him for about a week now with no luck. I've a cage trap out and put fresh meat in it every evening and he is just not interested. I watched him last night in the dogs pen eating dog **** after he walked right passed the meat so I picked up the ****e and put some into the cage and still no luck. If been watching him coming and going the last hour out the kitchen window and still no interest in the food if in the cage! Right now if meat that I charred, dog ****e and tuna in it and he has zero interest!

In a housing estate so shooting is out unless I could get an air rifle!

Fresh out ideas here now, anyone any advice???

If your in Dublin or close by I can come over and bring the two buck ferrets with me...experienced ratters. I've personaly never had any problem with the cage traps once the trigger is set light enough and I normally use pasta stuffed with peanut butter on the "spike" that holds the bait. During the winter the peanut butter goes hard and holds firm.

If your in Dublin or close by I can come over and bring the two buck ferrets with me...experienced ratters. I've personaly never had any problem with the cage traps once the trigger is set light enough and I normally use pasta stuffed with peanut butter on the "spike" that holds the bait. During the winter the peanut butter goes hard and holds firm.

Lad that was posted near two year ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

PucaMama wrote: »
    Please don't cause it such a slow painful death. Keep at the traps unless of course it's not causing any real problems if that's the case leave it alone. Remember the cause of the rats success is our waste and rubbish. Rats and mice so so well because of humans.

Catch it, then drowned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dubpredator2

Eddie B wrote: »
    Lad that was posted near two year ago now.

It might still be alive.....

It might still be alive.....

Your right! The op never did get back to us. Bet he has more than one now lol

Advertisement