Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stickleback on a Rush

Options
  • 21-02-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Does anybody else remember catching Sticklebacks using a worm on a rush?

I used to fish in a very small stream/drain half way between my Granny's house and the Church while she and I walked home from Mass on Sunday.

The time was 40 years ago, the tackle was a Rush and the bait was a worm - both collected in the 500 yards between Church and home. No hooks and no line involved - just one Rush and one worm. I caught loads of Sticklebacks.

At the time, I didn't appreciate the species or the experience - I was just a little boy. I would pay well for the same experience today.

Anybody else share the memory?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tipprobb

We used to catch Pinkeens when we were kids in an old dissuesed
    quarry. We tied a small worm onto a piece of thread and dropped it into the water.
    The pinkeen would grab the worm and hold on as we lifted him out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

A pinkeen is a stickleback back isn't it? We use to catch them with little nets and buckets when we were small.

Any good for trout bait I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Tipprobb wrote: »
    We used to catch Pinkeens when we were kids in an old dissuesed
    quarry. We tied a small worm onto a piece of thread and dropped it into the water.
    The pinkeen would grab the worm and hold on as we lifted him out.

Exactly how we did it. Except we didn't use thread - we just 'threaded' the worm onto the rush, waited for the 'leebeen' to grab the worm etc.

Seems like you were there too :)

ComfortKid wrote: »
    A pinkeen is a stickleback back isn't it? We use to catch them with little nets and buckets when we were small.

You're just not old enough Kid.
    This was before kids had nets and buckets and such technology :)

But yeah, that sounds like the same thing alright.

If you wanted bait, minnows were a better bet.
    More of them and easier to catch.

KM88 wrote:
    You're just not old enough Kid. This was before kids had nets and buckets and such technology 

A womans tight and a stick +steel bucket. If they weren't around when you were younger you must be a few hundred years old.

• Advertisement

A womans tight and a stick +steel bucket. If they weren't around when you were younger you must be a few hundred years old.

My Granny was a bit precious about her stockings - tights hadn't been invented then. She surely wouldn't let me go fishing with them - the holy Jaysus mortification of it at mass next Sunday!

What is a steel bucket? My Granny didn't have anything like that - she had a tin bucket and the posher enamel bucket.

Did you have to walk 50 miles in your bare feet for a drink of water too?

Did you have to walk 50 miles in your bare feet for a drink of water too?

There was a Troll under every bridge
    - some things never change unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sticklebacks and minnow are favoured prey of trout. Have used both and caught crackin trout on em.
    Used to catch pinkeens and sticklers with old pair of tights and a steel coat hanger. Days long gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tipprobb

Any good for trout bait I wonder?

Yes, we used to also catch them with a small net in the little stream
    that was near our house...Never used them for trout, although I have
    from time to time caught trout when worm fishing in a flood and they had
    Pinkeens eaten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement