Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card, advantages and disadvantages?

Options
  • 22-02-2015 12:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭

I can't believe I'm asking this as I had one before in the good times and I swore I would never ever get another credit card again.

It wasn't just the credit card, I had a car loan too, massive credit card debt.

I'm debt free for five years and I like it. I won't buy something unless I have the money for it. I will save for something now rather than getting a loan.

However, I am thinking of going on holiday and don't many hotels require a pre-authoritisation.

I have a debit card and the pre authoritisation might leave me short.

I have a pre-paid credit card but I can imagine, I would have to have a balance on that to use it for pre authoritisation.

Is a credit card worth it for these type situations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I can't believe I'm asking this as I had one before in the good times and I swore I would never ever get another credit card again.

It wasn't just the credit card, I had a car loan too, massive credit card debt.

I'm debt free for five years and I like it. I won't buy something unless I have the money for it. I will save for something now rather than getting a loan.

However, I am thinking of going on holiday and don't many hotels require a pre-authoritisation.

I have a debit card and the pre authoritisation might leave me short.

I have a pre-paid credit card but I can imagine, I would have to have a balance on that to use it for pre authoritisation.

Is a credit card worth it for these type situations.

Get one, and setup a direct-debit to clear the balance in full each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Get one with a low credit limit (like 1k) and make sure you pay it off in full every month.

Advertisement