Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut oil for blackheads

Options
  • 22-02-2015 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I've seen some things online about how using oil can get rid of blackheads and also about how great coconut oil is. I was wondering if anyone has ever used coconut oil for blackheads? I have loads on and around my nose and would love to finally get rid of them! I don't want to get a reaction or make my skin worse obviously. I saw boots have an own brand for around €3.99, would this be suitable?
    Or are there better ways to get rid of blackheads? I've seen pore strips but I'm not sure if they would be good.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Hi everyone, I've seen some things online about how using oil can get rid of blackheads and also about how great coconut oil is. I was wondering if anyone has ever used coconut oil for blackheads? I have loads on and around my nose and would love to finally get rid of them! I don't want to get a reaction or make my skin worse obviously. I saw boots have an own brand for around €3.99, would this be suitable?
    Or are there better ways to get rid of blackheads? I've seen pore strips but I'm not sure if they would be good.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

I read about coconut oil before and its good for just about everything. i use it to shave. Tesco have it for €1.99. Not sure about blackheads but there was a huge list of things it was good for. i guess you are looking for first hand accounts! for shaving it works like those oils you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'm assuming your talking about using coconut oil as an oil cleanser to get rid of the black heads then yes it will work. But if you are acne prone I would recommend you use a different oil as coconut oil is very comedogenic.

However are you sure they are black head as they may be sebaceous filaments which are common around the nose area. If your not sure you can read about sebaceous filaments here. http://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/1fmg0t/some_more_information_about_sebaceous_filaments/

If they are sebaceous filaments nothing will ever get rid of them only reduce their visibility. The best way to do this is using a chemical exfoliant such as salicylic acid or and aha such as glycolic acid. Oil cleansing can also help.

If your sure they are black heads the treatment is the same oil cleansing and chemical exfoliants will helps get rid of them but never use pore srips and they can cause enlarged pores and broken capillaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Thanks for the replies, could you recommend a similar product/oil to coconut oil in case it causes a break out?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

I absolutely LOVE coconut oil... so much so I was called the Coconut Queen for years... I used it is a moisturiser for years & loved it. .. so natural & simple BUT (I hate to say it cos I love it) it actually blocked my pores & gave me blackheads where I never had them :((
    I've since found out about a thing called comodogenic scores ( pore blocking basically) & coconut rates one of the highest with a score of 4-5 :((
    I've recently got into oil cleansing & really love it... Has helped my skin hugely. Hemp seed oil is zero on the scale & has near miraculous results in skin as a cleanser & moisturiser. .. my skin (face & body) & hair haven't been this good in a LONG time...!!
    I don't use castor oil... just hemp & sesame (2 on the scale) to cleanse & hemp & broccoli seed (also zero) to moisturise!!
    Google hemp seed oil- oil cleansing method & see for yourself!! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I use coconut oil as a cleanser at night time.

My skin has never been more clear. Blackheads totally banished.

It's trial & error, see if it suits you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

I use coconut oil as a cleanser at night time.

My skin has never been more clear. Blackheads totally banished.

It's trial & error, see if it suits you 

Torally agree with the the trial & error!
    do you do the OCM or just rinse it off after cleansing?
    What is your skin type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

unreg999 wrote: »
    Torally agree with the the trial & error!
    do you do the OCM or just rinse it off after cleansing?
    What is your skin type?

I just warm it in my hands, apply to my face and clean away with a warm, almost hot damp face cloth.

My skin type would've always leaned towards oily but at almost 38 now it's getting a little more dry on my cheeks and at 39 weeks pregnant it can vary from day to day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Thanks everyone, I might try coconut oil and if it doesn't work out I can just use it on my legs maybe. In the meantime I'll look for a non-comedogenic oil.

Advertisement