Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straffan Wood, Maynooth

• 22-02-2015 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    We were thinking of purchasing a house in straffan wood in maynooth and was wondering if anyone had any feedback?
    Is the area nice? Are there any issues in the estate? Etc.
    Any information world be appreciated. :)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deenameh

Terrible sound insulation! We can hear the neighbours talking through the walls. The noise of passing traffic late at night and as early as 5am is also a nuisance if you are not used to it. Would not recommend buying a house or apartment in Straffan Wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pullover

What part are you in?
    We've since bought a house here and have no issues at all and never hear the neighbours! Or traffic unless we are out in the back garden...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The houses are rather poorly built all round. If the previous owner(s) hasn't done the required maintenance on the wooden windows they could be in bits by this stage - the house I lived in there had them neglected before and now has had PVC windows put in already and its only 11 years old now.

The motorway noise is a presence in the entire south of the town and will be rectified whenever TII resurface the road - the surface is 22 years old and one of the oldest on the whole network currently. A modern surface will be about 6dB lower which is a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deenameh

The Close, only renting and not long left thankfully.

Also have a friend renting an apartment who has constant noise issue with upstairs neighbors and no help from management.

@L1011 interesting to hear about the road needing resurfacing, thanks for the info! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Sorry to intrude! I'm buying an end of terrace here.. Seems fine to me, but I wondered if anyone has more recent views on this estate. Much appreciated.. Paddy.

• Advertisement

The road resurfacing has been pushed out so it's now 24 years old and louder than ever.

It now has cable broadband available which was missing for years and will be mentioned on many threads here

Make sure the windows have been replaced at this stage or plan to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Is the proposed ring road looping through / right behind the estate too?

Is the proposed ring road looping through / right behind the estate too?

It'll never happen. But it is on the LAP going between the estate and the motorway. The eastern arc is really all that is going to be built in the next 20 years

When you drive in from straffan road.. Take first left then left again ... It's in there I'm thinking of going... The avenue.. Seems a good bit away from the motorway.. Is it overbearingly loud still?
    Thks
    Paddy

I'm vastly further away, as in estates away and I can hear it at night if I've the windows open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ainegrainne

Viewed a few houses in this estate and they were tiny, bidding up to 300k on houses that were put up for 260+. You would get a much bigger house for those prices in Leixlip (or even Kilcock etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Viewed a few houses in this estate and they were tiny, bidding up to 300k on houses that were put up for 260+. You would get a much bigger house for those prices in Leixlip (or even Kilcock etc.)

Maynooths a strange beast. People paying what I would consider mad money for pretty standard houses.

Maynooth is abnormally expensive for what you get. Huge amount of restaurants but not all that good, some of the range of 'big shops' you expect in a provincial town but none of the useful ones, cause Liffey Valley and Blanch are so nearby. Extremely bad traffic issues, oversuscribed public transport, some minor social issues due to piles of students, abnormally high burglary rate in the estates with lots of students due to the chance of getting 5x tablets, 5x laptops etc in one house.

That said, if anyone wants to buy my house for an extremely inflated value, feel free! :pac: (no, its not actually on the market at the moment anyway)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

L1011 wrote: »
    Maynooth is abnormally expensive for what you get. Huge amount of restaurants but not all that good, some of the range of 'big shops' you expect in a provincial town but none of the useful ones, cause Liffey Valley and Blanch are so nearby. Extremely bad traffic issues, oversuscribed public transport, some minor social issues due to piles of students, abnormally high burglary rate in the estates with lots of students due to the chance of getting 5x tablets, 5x laptops etc in one house.

That said, if anyone wants to buy my house for an extremely inflated value, feel free! :pac: (no, its not actually on the market at the moment anyway)

Mine will be soon.
    They can buy that instead:)
    I have to admit I love Maynooth,I love having all the local shops and facilities within walking distance. Where I live there are no student houses but some of the elderly neighbours keep students.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When you drive in from straffan road.. Take first left then left again ... It's in there I'm thinking of going... The avenue.. Seems a good bit away from the motorway.. Is it overbearingly loud still?
    Thks
    Paddy

you can hear it as far as Maxol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Is that Brookfield avenue? We looked at a place in Brookfield park and said no due to the noise from the motorway. I'm sure in time you'd get used to it but it's stupid loud

The Avenue Straffan Wood is what's being described. It's slightly further from the motorway I think. But until it's resurfaced you'll hear it in all of the even vaguely nearby estates

Tbh the plipping of the pedestrian crossing near the front of my house is more annoying at night if in a front room than the motorway noise is - the motorway is a hum rather than the repeating beeps. You very much get used to it

Has anyone in straffan Wood any idea what the drain at the front window outside is about , always overflowing , smell. Brutal .. seems to be waste from kitchen sink ... awful nuisance !!! Help

• Registered Users Posts: 45 BAABAA96

Hi all, considering buying in straffan wood. Can anyone give me some pros and Cons of life there?

as a whole we are considering moving to Kildare from Dublin so if anyone could recommend some nice areas for young families that would be great!

The cons are the same as up thread - the houses are not particularly well built (but really the norm for their age), you will probably need new windows and doors if they haven't been done, the motorway is fairly noisy until you get used to it. Its an annoying walk distance to everywhere, and the Spar in Newtown is exceptionally poor so you do need to go to further shops a lot.

Pros - when the traffic lights work its fairly quick to the motorway; if the house is extended there's usually a fair bit of space for a house of its age and type; its one of the cheaper estates in the town without the masses of students that many of the other cheaper estates have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LeahW

Hi All,

Last night, we visited a house in Straffan Grove, Straffan wood, and really liked it.

The house looks a bit old but well maintained, with the back garden facing east.

Can anyone suggest the noise issue on the Straffan Grove side? Would it be noisy for a newborn baby? Also, Hows the neighbourhood like?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Lived here 4+ years. Lots of young families and kids. Really nice neighbours all over, zero trouble or hassle. Houses are OK standard wise, if the doors and windows are the originals from the build they could do with replacing, at least all the seals anyway. Soundproofing is OK too. You will hear your neighbours, I hear mine but not very loudly.

You will hear the motorway too (N4) they were due to resurface it but that's on hold until they decide about a bus lane where the hard shoulder is.

But apart from that it's the handier side of maynooth, easy access to get out for the motorway, although the traffic in this town is a nightmare, we have more traffic lights than we know what to do with :)

Advertisement