Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA people = Cavemen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Baby Jane wrote: »
    Also "he'll play soccer", "he'll play cricket" - seems pushy. What if he has no interest in either?

then he can go to dance class or chess or art or play xbox or whatever.

Not gah though, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Chucken wrote: »
    You said you want to leave? Just run off the pitch and keep running.

Forrest Gump style!
    That's exactly how the last game of gah I played went. Just got fed up and walked off.

Terrible sport for terrible people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm fairly sure cricket kids guy is trolling haha. The smell of troll of that post. Seriously though, I don't think parents should push children towards or prevent them from playing a certain sport. Usually nowadays it seems to be friends getting children into sports rather than parents anyway (from what I've experienced anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

conorh91 wrote: »
    Ok... so are most middle-aged men.

ditto for rugby, tennis and athletics diehards, but anyway...

Aand you lost your audience. I'd doubt most people have encountered this expression on a casual basis. Troll harder next time...

I'm giving my experiences, not Trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Was a member of my local GAA and soccer clubs when I was in my early teens.

The soccer coaches knew I was in the GAA club and never cared so long as I was fit to play soccer when necessary but as soon as the GAA coaches caught wind of me being in the soccer club I was quickly told to choose between the 2.

I just turned around picked up my bag and walked out the door. In fairness I wasn't much of a loss to the hurling team but it was a ****ty thing to be told you couldn't play both sports.
    Being effectively told you couldn't play both soccer and GAA is appalling in fairness. I've heard of that happening other times too, and it's something I do take issue with in relation to the organisation.
    But not letting someone play GAA on the basis of the likes of the above... is kinda doing the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You said you want to leave? Just run off the pitch and keep running.

Forrest Gump style!

Haha it was actually similar to this how I left, during training at the start of a new season the manager was being an absolute prick to everyone. While doing warmups I disagreed with something tiny he said and he lost his mind and went on a huge rant and I just got up and walked straight past him to get my stuff and leave. I was just thinking the whole time how I was growing too old to listen to such bullsh!t. As I was changing he came in and apologised and got upset but once he'd realised I wasn't changing my mind and backing down he backpedaled and resorted to the classic "right so, gwan and fuk off". Which is what I did.

Thinking back to being a young kid and having middle aged men screaming and shouting at us, even when we almost always won, makes me crack up laughing at them. The best one ever was a man who wasn't even involved in the team at the time coming into our changing rooms and full on crying when we lost a friendly...a fuking friendly. So glad I left the club behind, you get no thanks for it.

Aspiring wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure cricket kids guy is trolling haha.

Nope, I'm not, Cricket is one of the most inclusive sports around, and as an added bonus, there's an excellent chance that if a youngfella is trained from a young age he'll get to represent his country (or closest equivalent) at the highest level, a World Cup..

The "World Cup" of gah is, literally, a makey-uppy game played against disinterested Australian thugs that usually ends up in a fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nope, I'm not, Cricket is one of the most inclusive sports around, and as an added bonus, there's an excellent chance that if a youngfella is trained from a young age he'll get to represent his country (or closest equivalent) at the highest level, a World Cup..

The "World Cup" of gah is, literally, a makey-uppy game played against disinterested Australian thugs that usually ends up in a fight

And if he's really good at it he'll he an England call up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Haha it was actually similar to this how I left, during training at the start of a new season the manager was being an absolute prick to everyone. While doing warmups I disagreed with something tiny he said and he lost his mind and went on a huge rant and I just got up and walked straight past him to get my stuff and leave. I was just thinking the whole time how I was growing too old to listen to such bullsh!t. As I was changing he came in and apologised and got upset but once he'd realised I wasn't changing my mind and backing down he backpedaled and resorted to the classic "right so, gwan and fuk off". Which is what I did.

Thinking back to being a young kid and having middle aged men screaming and shouting at us, even when we almost always won, makes me crack up laughing at them. The best one ever was a man who wasn't even involved in the team at the time coming into our changing rooms and full on crying when we lost a friendly...a fuking friendly. So glad I left the club behind, you get no thanks for it.
    "Ye played like a ****ing camogie team!" was a favourite of a trainer in my neck of the woods. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Thing is, we live in Dublin and he's not a Catholic, so he wont be indocrinated from an early age by some bogger teacher - he's registered in the local Educate Together blah blah blah....

Anyone reading this rubbish would be forgiven for assuming every kid outside the M25 gets a hurl thrust in his hands by a priest within days of birth before being conscripted into the Christian Brothers for 12 of national service.

Cop the hell on FFS.

And if he's really good at it he'll he an England call up

well, he's ten months old now, hopefully in 20 years or so Ireland will have secured Test status - if not, then yeah, an England & Wales* call up would be the pinnacle of Test Cricket, and I'd be absolutely proud of it.

*it's actually England & Wales, not just England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Why are some GAA people so blind to reality and stupid?

The typical higher up in a GAA club is a devoted Catholic, acts like every other sport other than Hurling and Football doesn't exist and if someone plays other sports and doesn't play a GAA sport then that sport is for "People who are no good at GAA". In my experience they refer to Rugby and especially Soccer as "The Queen's game" and seem to still be very butthurt over the whose Bloody Sunday event. They have also scheduled GAA training with Soccer training to make people sweat.

I might let it be known that I play both Soccer and Gaelic games and enjoy both thoroughly and I probably spend more time watching GAA matches than Soccer, but in my experience the GAA higher ups are very medieval while the Soccer lads have always been very down to earth. I'm just stating my opinions so if you have any opinions or if you question anything I've said, please feel free to comment.

Must be a strange part of the world you are in..then again..the lads playing Rugby tend to be hurling failures in Clare.. Never heard it Rugby or Soccer called the queens game. The odd time it might be called the Garrison game for a bit of craic. Seeing as all the Rugby clubs are from old Garrison towns it's a historical echo.
    There aren't many devoted Catholics anywhere in sport. Last weekend Scotland were down a player because it was a Sunday game.

well, he's ten months old now, hopefully in 20 years or so Ireland will have secured Test status - if not, then yeah, an England & Wales* call up would be the pinnacle of Test Cricket, and I'd be absolutely proud of it.

E(nglish)cb trying really hard to include Wales here http://www.ecb.co.uk/assets/images/width340/62aec7e4-c049-4ed4-9ef1-75b33bf26507.png

Figerty wrote: »
    then again..the lads playing Rugby tend to be hurling failures in Clare..

Even if this is t-i-c, which I doubt it is, it's typical of the shíte gah-heads come out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

With respect, every GAA club in the country sees guys like this every season: they don't like taking orders or they see things a different way, and they walk away. Some stop turning up, some storm off.

In my opinion those guys are better-suited to individual sports, if any. In a team situation, people have to commit to a certain amount of discipline. OK so you disagree with the coach, and maybe you are correct, but on a team you're going to need to work as part of the machine. You have your job, he has his.

I don;t think this is particularly a GAA issue. I think it's just that the GAA is so pervasive, people are confusing it with being a GAA problem. Maybe I;m wrong, maybe the GAA sometimes takes discipline for granted, and other sports feel the need to be flexible.

Either way, with an attitude like the attitude you describe, I doubt you were missed.

• Advertisement

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Do you know whats funny? Around the age of 2 they start developing their own interests. And personalities.

and lol at a Rugger head getting digs in at cricket.

We're both here in the garisson son.

Do you know whats funny? Around the age of 2 they start developing their own interests. And personalities.

he's already started on that - he loves cats and cows, and Iggle Piggle.

I'm well aware that he may develop an interest in gah, but with the way he'll be raised, without exposure to the sport, it's doubtful.

I'm well aware that he may develop an interest in gah, but with the way he'll be raised, without exposure to the sport, it's doubtful.

Christ keep him away from Iggle Piggle, that's some Illuminati stiff right there with all the non English words they speak

• Advertisement

With respect, every GAA club in the country sees guys like this every season: they don't like taking orders or they see things a different way, and they walk away. Some stop turning up, some storm off.

In my opinion those guys are better-suited to individual sports, if any. In a team situation, people have to commit to a certain amount of discipline. OK so you disagree with the coach, and maybe you are correct, but on a team you're going to need to work as part of the machine. You have your job, he has his.

I don;t think this is particularly a GAA issue. I think it's just that the GAA is so pervasive, people are confusing it with being a GAA problem. Maybe I;m wrong, maybe the GAA sometimes takes discipline for granted, and other sports feel the need to be flexible.

Either way, with an attitude like the attitude you describe, I doubt you were missed.

I have no issue with taking orders as long as the person giving them is open to criticism and suggestions from the rest of the, you know, team. And also, clearly I was since I'm still being hassled about coming back years on, now more than ever as well since I've gotten stronger than I ever was playing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Must be fun living in your "inclusive" world while at the same time pigeon holing people into being gah heads, rugger heads. I'd say your young fella has more problems ahead of him than any sport will provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

He likes cows?

How much exposure to farming have you allowed him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Clearly I was since I'm still being hassled about coming back years on, now more than ever as well since I've gotten stronger than I ever was playing for them.

God you must have been brilliant .... or else they're just really stuck. Immigration a big problem in your neck of the woods?

Christ keep him away from Iggle Piggle, that's some Illuminati stiff right there with all the non English words they speak
    he needs to get used to it so he can deal with the gahliban.
    He likes cows?

How much exposure to farming have you allowed him?

he's being brought up to know where his food comes from - steaks are from cows, not the supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

The typical higher up in a GAA club is a devoted Catholic, acts like every other sport other than Hurling and Football doesn't exist and if someone plays other sports and doesn't play a GAA sport then that sport is for "People who are no good at GAA". In my experience they refer to Rugby and especially Soccer as "The Queen's game" and seem to still be very butthurt over the whose Bloody Sunday event. They have also scheduled GAA training with Soccer training to make people sweat.

I might let it be known that I play both Soccer and Gaelic games and enjoy both thoroughly and I probably spend more time watching GAA matches than Soccer, but in my experience the GAA higher ups are very medieval while the Soccer lads have always been very down to earth. I'm just stating my opinions so if you have any opinions or if you question anything I've said, please feel free to comment.

What dya think of that Joe Brolly?

pmy.murphy wrote: »

there's a guy who's nickname is "umbrella"?

Sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My oldest grandson is just gone 2. His Dad plays rugby semi professionally so its all rugby in that house. When he goes out playing, the other children are playing football, hurling or killing each other (;)) he wants to join in. And he's not stopped! (well he's not going in the very rough play) but he loves his hurley.

pmy.murphy wrote: »

I've no opinion of him really, he was 100% correct about the Sean Cavenagh rugby tackle epidemic. Actually, I'd say he's alright.

The difference is I accept that all sports have their issues and wouldn't bar my child from exploring any sport they expressed an interest in.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    God you must have been brilliant .... or else they're just really stuck. Immigration a big problem in your neck of the woods?

Immigration? I'm not too sure if many internationals moving here would be too good at GAA...

My oldest grandson is just gone 2. His Dad plays rugby semi professionally so its all rugby in that house. When he goes out playing, the other children are playing football, hurling or killing each other (;)) he wants to join in. And he's not stopped! (well he's not going in the very rough play) but he loves his hurley.

I don't play any sports, and I've never seen any kids around here with a hurl in their hand, let alone playing gaelic football out on the field (it's always soccer).

The kid will be brought to see Shels from this summer, and will as I've already said, be sent to Soccer and Cricket kids camps - and will be sent to a non-Catholic school (I went to a Xtian Bros school where soccer was banned, for instance, and the gah player were allowed to skip classes etc).

I have no issue with taking orders as long as the person giving them is open to criticism and suggestions from the rest of the, you know, team.
    How many other team members walked away on that day, and how many stayed?

I assume a majority walked off the pitch with you, did they?

Has the club ever failed to field a team?

How many other team members walked away on that day, and how many stayed?

I assume a majority walked off the pitch with you, did they?

Has the club ever failed to field a team?

Why do you see the need to attack him on something that doesn't affect you? He was fed up so he went home, end of.

Immigration? I'm not too sure if many internationals moving here would be too good at GAA...

The OhAilpins disagree, so does Jayo Sherlock, and the many, many, many Second Generation Africans currently suffering racist abuse every weekend at gah matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The kid will be brought to see Shels from this summer...

...turning an innocent young lad into a Shel's fan is appalling abuse.

Shame on you!

Why do you see the need to attack him on something that doesn't affect you? He was fed up so he went home, end of.

he was wrong, GAA was right.

...turning an innocent young lad into a Shel's fan is appalling abuse.

Shame on you!

using inappropriate apostrophes, shame on you.

The poster is insisting that the team sentiment was being ignored.

If so, I'd be curious to know how many of the team left the pitch with him on that day?

None, perhaps.

You get this kind of thing on teams regularly enough. People think they speak for everyone, leave alone, and everyone moves on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This is from a guy who used to be brought to see Heffo's Army with his dad, and grew up in the 90s with Dessie Farrell as a local hero, but then the gah got greedy and started to act like bollixes. Want nothing to do with them ever again.

How exactly did the non profit making organisation get greedy?

Hurling is by most consensus, a wonderful sport. Although its a popular thing to complain about the football, its still the most popular sport in the country, even in this modern society where tradition is taking a backward step and younger people are very exposed to other international sports. Says a lot.

The GAA has a few faults. It's positives though in the modern day far outweigh the negatives. Simply ignore it if it bothers you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Maybe you have been unfortunate in the ones you have happened to meet.

But in my - and I must say long and broad experience of GAA people - you are totally misrepresenting them. There are as many - if not more - rows in GAA clubs over clashes between Hurling and Football than there are over clashes with Soccer. Ask any GAA county or club player who his favourite Premier league team is and you will get a quick passionate answer - and it won't be "I don't watch that foreign game" it will be Arsenal or Man U or whatever, or maybe a "I only support Celtic"
    Of course there will always be prats and bigots in any large group - but they are a tiny minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not cavepeople.

They do a lot of good work at local level and are a great outlet not just for sport but for social life.

I don't like how they hoover up so much funding, but that's just because I think other sports need it more - hardly the GAA's fault for looking for funding.

The main problem I have with them is that some seem to see GAA and themselves, as some kind of keepers of the cultural flame in the face of foreign invasion. That's a load of bollox and when it manifests itself as making a kid choose between one sport or another, or otherwise disrupting other sports clubs' activities (such as ploughing up a pitch to stop soccer teams from using it) it's a disgrace.

wow sierra wrote: »
    Maybe you have been unfortunate in the ones you have happened to meet.

But in my - and I must say long and broad experience of GAA people - you are totally misrepresenting them. There are as many - if not more - rows in GAA clubs over clashes between Hurling and Football than there are over clashes with Soccer. Ask any GAA county or club player who his favourite Premier league team is and you will get a quick passionate answer - and it won't be "I don't watch that foreign game" it will be Arsenal or Man U or whatever, or maybe a "I only support Celtic"
    Of course there will always be prats and bigots in any large group - but they are a tiny minority.

We had a football clash too, that's why I moved

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    How exactly did the non profit making organisation get greedy?
    Shamrock Rovers vs Thomas Davis. I hate Rovers, but what the GAA did to them was an absolute disgrace. And it wasn't "just" TD, they were backed by the Dublin County Board and Central Council.

Direct quote from a TD official - "we won't rest until they are dead and buried" - referring to the court case against Rovers.

That is sickening bigotry, backed at county and national level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

A normal non-bitter parent would be happy to have their child be interested in some form of sport and especially so for a team sport, no?

A parent purposefully dissuading a child from being interested in a particular sport because of his/her own prejudices is pathetic imo.

• Advertisement

My child will be interested in many and varied sports, hopefully gah won't be one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

As a fan of a number of sports, most of the major organisation have weaknesses. There are a million and one faults in the GAA but ultimately it serves a very important role in communities throughout the country. Lads coming back to play games or train with their clubs is one of the few things that has stopped large parts of rural Ireland from becoming even more decimated than they currently are. The sport is a huge past time for so many people and gives a lot of people with little else something to look forward to. There is a backward element to most clubs in the country and county boards are a joke in a number of counties but ultimately that is reflective of the country (e.g. no matter what Fianna Fáil do they'll still get 15%+ of the vote).

The younger generation in the main are interested in more than one sport and the GAA is evolving, not fast enough but like any major organisation it will always be held in the dark ages by a select few.

Rugby and Soccer have plenty of problems of their own. I love watching soccer but the FAI is the biggest joke going and much as I'd love to see a competitive domestic league, the fact is pretty much all the clubs are hanging on by their fingernails. There is no connection between schoolboy / underage and League of Ireland. The schoolboy sides are holding out for compensation for young players from English clubs. Most League of Ireland sides can't afford or have little interest in developing underage teams. That is why soccer will fall even further into the doldrums in this country. Clubs in England have their choice of talent from around the world unlike 20 or so years ago and even the best Irish players are going to get swallowed up. We need a much stronger domestic league if we are to give players a real base from which they can develop their careers without chancing their arm at 14 or 15 only to inevitably come back having been spit out by the system. However, given the incompetence of the FAI and the lack of any co-ordinated structure for the game I'm not hopeful.

Rugby has evolved hugely in this country over the last 15 years or so and as a fan its great to see how popular it has become but I think it would be foolish to think that it is an inclusive sport. There is still an element of snootyness, blazers, hangers on and what school did you play with type attitude in many areas which I believe is stopping the sport reaching its full potential. That is changing but like the GAA not at a fast enough rate in my opinion.

A lot of sports seems determined to have a cut at the other through cheap shots which I find quite sad. Whatever sport people are playing or watching they should be able to enjoy it and leave everyone else whatever sport / activity it is they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

My child will be interested in many and varied sports, hopefully gah won't be one of them.

Why do you keep saying this? Is it supposed to be an insult? Or are you trying to be funny?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why do you keep saying this? Is it supposed to be an insult? Or are you trying to be funny?

it's what people call it in Dublin - not an insult, not a joke, just a word.

It's just called "the gah", it's not disparaging, it's not meant to be, it's just a word, so stop getting worked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

You shouldn't infect a child with your own neurotic prejudices. Let's hope he/she doesn't disappoint you by becoming a successful GAA sportsman/woman.

That Charlie Hebdo image doesn't suit your Talibanesque attitude.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement