Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will need to leave job in a few months - advice needed

Options
  • 22-02-2015 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

This is a sort of "good problem" but I could really do with some advice.

This week my OH was offered a PhD in Vancouver which starts in September 2015 so we're going to make the move in July/August. The company I work for at the moment is a subsidiary of a large multinational which actually owns another similar company in Vancouver.

We quite often collaborate on projects with this sister company and it's not unusual for some of their staff to do stints in our office and vice-versa. My contract is directly with my current employer, not the large multinational and I've been with them for about 20 months.

My plan has always been to talk to my director and essentially get him to recommend me to the other guys in Vancouver. The thing is that I'm not sure if it's better to do this now or wait until nearer the time I would have to give my one month's notice.

Doing it now seems better because...
    1. It allows lots of time for my director to talk to theirs
    2. It allows lots of time for me to hand over my work to someone else where necessary (I've been working on the same project for the entire time I've been here so that's quite a lot)
    3. It's quite likely that some of their senior staff will be in our offices at some point over the coming months which would be opportunity for a chat/interview
    4. I was actually asked at my last annual review if I would be interested in a secondment to the Vancouver office should they win certain work so it seems like I should mention the fact that I want to move there!

The only thing I'm hesitant about is the fact that I would effectively be giving them notice many months before I plan to leave. I'm a little worried that they will be less inclined to give me interesting work, be less inclined to pay for training, be generally not that interested in me etc. etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Eng102 wrote: »
    I was actually asked at my last annual review if I would be interested in a secondment to the Vancouver office should they win certain work so it seems like I should mention the fact that I want to move there!
    Pop in, and ask if the place has been filled. If it hasn't, apply for it. IMO, don't show all your cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eng102

There is no place per se at the moment because they are still waiting to see if they've won the job. If they do win it I'd expect there will three or four, not just one.

Even still I'm not sure how I'd feel about taking one under those circumstances. It feels a bit sneaky to swan off on secondment with the company paying for flights etc. with no intention to return. I mentioned it in my OP because I figured it would make it easier for me to be transferred i.e. "Oh you need three people? Well here's a guy who wants to move permanently and we could send two others on secondment for 6 months".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Eng102 wrote: »
    There is no place per se at the moment because they are still waiting to see if they've won the job. If they do win it I'd expect there will three or four, not just one.
    Ask about the place, saying that you're thinking of moving to Canada. Depending on how they feel their chances are (they may feel the job is in the bag), you may get training specific to it?

Advertisement