Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton v Southampton old boys (Liverpool) 22/02/15 KO 4.15pm SKY SPORTS1

191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

what is with the obsession with what rival fans think and do. Inexplicable

It's because we're the worst fans in the world. Did you not get the memo?

Someone's getting sacked for this oversight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Must be a gremlin in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Gremlins, the lot of them

oh right yeah

Seriously though, it doesn't happen as much in other threads, and I've never seen actual Liverpool fans in real life go on about what rival fans think. Is it because you perceive that you get more abuse than other teams and so are more likely to give it back? Or that the abuse you get is worse than the abuse other team's fans get?

Or possibly that the insulating effect of being the most popular group on boards has allowed you to be more brave because you're aware you are statistically more likely to be defended and thanked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

oh right yeah

Seriously though, it doesn't happen as much in other threads, and I've never seen actual Liverpool fans in real life go on about what rival fans think. Is it because you perceive that you get more abuse than other teams and so are more likely to give it back? Or that the abuse you get is worse than the abuse other team's fans get?

Or possibly that the insulating effect of being the most popular group on boards has allowed you to be more brave because you're aware you are statistically more likely to be defended and thanked

What do you mean "the most popular group on Boards"? I really don't think we are. I thought everyone hated us and that's kinda the way we like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

oh right yeah

The utd match thread was quiet similar yesterday. It's all about being able to take it if you want to give it out. Not you personally just in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What do you mean "the most popular group on Boards"? I really don't think we are. I thought everyone hated us and that's kinda the way we like it.

The thought of Turtyturd being part of 'the most popular group on boards' is absolutely hilarious to me :pac:

oh right yeah

Liverpool fans may have the largest contingent on boards but there's so many sides, factions, multiple personalities, agendas, grudges, chips on shoulders and it's just such an argumentative group that it's like heading a herd of cats or gremlins if you will.

Knex. wrote: »
    The thought of Turtyturd being part of 'the most popular group on boards' is absolutely hilarious to me :pac:

To be fair we did try and sacrifice him last year, so if we are the most popular, he has a tentative grip on the group.
    He's the friend with the free house and all the latest consoles.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    To be fair we did try and sacrifice him last year, so if we are the most popular, he has a tentative grip on the group.
    He's the friend with the free house and all the latest consoles.

And the sexy sister

rarnes1 wrote: »
    And the sexy sister

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

As in the team who has the most supporters on this forum

As in the team who has the most supporters on this forum

Probably not much between Liverpool and Utd numbers I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

niallo27 wrote: »
    The utd match thread was quiet similar yesterday. It's all about being able to take it if you want to give it out. Not you personally just in general.

Some people love the "banter" and others like to discuss a match more rational sometimes its hard to do with emotions running high but when banter and disscusion come together it ends badly i.e thread locked.

I'd love to see maybe two match threads tried out for games the discussion thread and banter thread, one policed loosely other stringently that way at least you know what you in for when getting involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Probably not much between Liverpool and Utd numbers I'd say.

Hasn't a lot of very god d Liverpool fans left recently?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Hasn't a lot of very god d Liverpool fans left recently?

People leave and come back. Some don't.

I don't keep track tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's mostly the "neutral unbiased" fans of neither team that cause the shít in these threads.

niallo27 wrote: »

I agree completely but from what I've witnessed (possibly fuelled by bias) when there's a negative result involving Liverpool, you'll see the same one or two United heads pop up. But when there's a negative result for United, there'll be often double figures of Liverpool fans with posts which can be perceived as baiting. Then again this can be explained more a greater amount of Liverpool fans.

Still, when it comes to other clubs (i.e. Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton, even Spurs) with a less traditional rivalry (bar Everton), there's still the same response, which doesn't seem to be as reciprocated. There was one post last year which painted Chelsea fans as desperately desiring a rivalry with Liverpool and generalising all of them as extremely bitter which I thought (possibly rashly) wouldn't have come from another group of fans.

The only reason I say it is because I've only witnessed it on boards, not in real life and so have never subscribed to the "Liverpool fans are the worst in the world" rhetoric. Can it be explained by simple greater numbers and history of abuse taken by rival fans in bad times under less capable managers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You gotta roll with the punches. You can dress it up, down and all around but ultimately the group of fans that suffer more losses over the course of the season are going to have a worse time of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There were lots of United fans in the Liverpool threads from September until about December. As the season as gone on the number has steadily declined. It's been brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Gotta give Brendan Rodgers a lot of praise. Before Christmas, there was serious questions about whether he'd even see out the season. Liverpool look more solid and better equipped than United to take fourth place now. I think Arsenal will pull away in third, but Liverpool could also end up pulling away too.

United need to shape up fast or 4th place won't even be in question for them. Yes, they've been getting wins, but the poor performances will eventually catch up on them, and I really can't see them taking a much needed 6 points from Sunderland at home and Newcastle away without a big change in performance levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

SantryRed wrote: »
    Gotta give Brendan Rodgers a lot of praise. Before Christmas, there was serious questions about whether he'd even see out the season. Liverpool look more solid and better equipped than United to take fourth place now. I think Arsenal will pull away in third, but Liverpool could also end up pulling away too.

United need to shape up fast or 4th place won't even be in question for them. Yes, they've been getting wins, but the poor performances will eventually catch up on them, and I really can't see them taking a much needed 6 points from Sunderland at home and Newcastle away without a big change in performance levels.

United have been the best team for the past 15/16 games did ya not hear?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Last:D

Advertisement