Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton v Southampton old boys (Liverpool) 22/02/15 KO 4.15pm SKY SPORTS1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just get Sturridge and Balo on for Lallana and Coutinho, keep Soton defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Only in the door now, penalty each for me.
    Impossible to call that handball in real time too, different angle, super slow-mo, stalled picture, hindsight experts can go take a long walk off a short pier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So far the game is shaping up to be one of unrealistic predictions fans make on threads before matches.
    'Liverpool to win 1 nil with only one shot, with Southmapton denied a load of penalties and Mignolat to handle it outside the box but not get sent off.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

There we go chest 1st so would have been a harsh call

No it wouldn't have been. He put his arms in that position. It's unnatural. Doesn't matter if he's a keeper as he knows he's coming outside the box. It's a stonewall free and red card for deliberate handball.

Ref has been atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm genuinely frustrated with how we are playing.

Lucky to be winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

quarryman wrote: »
    And Mignolet should have saw red there too.

The goggles, they blind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

SlickRic wrote: »
    I don't know how any objective fan could think Southampton were robbed that half.

Can on Djurcic - no pen.
    Allen challenge - pen.
    Sterling shout - 50/50 whether it's a penalty or not.
    Handball in Liverpool box - no pen.
    Mig block - on the line, also hit his chest then hand, would've been extremely harsh indeed.

I'm an objective fan who would like to see Liverpool in the top four.

Can - peno and red
    Allen - peno
    Sterling - got the ball but fifty/fifty
    Mig block - ball hits chest but his hand reflex lay moves forward to the ball also. I'd say 50/50

Southampton fans can feel very justifiably aggrieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Missing Sakho and Lucas big time.
    Need something in mid field , would prefer can in there, didnt know allen was plsying till nearly half time !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Not really sure what Djurdevic was thinking? He was clean through on goal. Hoping to get Pool down to 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

you cant be serious

It's the same situation where are you going to go with a follow through not like you can stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Memnoch wrote: »
    No need to be uncivil. The hand on the shoulder is enough to slow him down and affect his shot. From behind, no attempt to play the ball.

I don't see how you think it's not a foul.

Apologies, I didn't mean to cause offence, i just honestly cant believe you think thats a foul. The game would be a joke if things like that were viewed as fouls.

I dont agree with you, and not many others seem to either. No foul. No peno. No red card. Especially with the replays. Good call from the ref for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

impossible to tell really! :p

2zfn2b4.jpg

The angle at which that image was taken makes it look like the ball was ever so slightly out. But in reality, it was in fact miles in.

See

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Who'd be a ref really? Some of these decisions are even debatable after looking at numerous replays and they are expected to get it right in real time. A thankless task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Saints robbed of two clear penalties.

I hope Coutinho can continue with strikes like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Dcully wrote: »
    You drunk on this wet Sunday afternoon mate?

At least I'm making an effort to comment on the game.

Unlike most of the replies to my posts.

Sad bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I don't know how any objective fan could think Southampton were robbed that half.

Can on Djurcic - no pen.
    Allen challenge - pen.
    Mig block - on the line, also hit his chest then hand, would've been extremely harsh indeed.

Your own analysis alone would indicate that they were robbed.

The first one and handball weren't pens whatsoever. Sterling one wasn't either. However Southampton have been denied a very clear pen for the Allen foul and Mignolet shouldve been sent off, whether easy to spot for the officials or not. Hence they've been robbed as they should be level (assuming pen was scored) and playing against 10 men

SantryRed wrote: »
    No it wouldn't have been. He put his arms in that position. It's unnatural. Doesn't matter if he's a keeper as he knows he's coming outside the box. It's a stonewall free and red card for deliberate handball.

Ref has been atrocious.

He was still in side the box when he started to jump and keepers are allowed to raise hands what's he to do chop them off as soon as he goes over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's the same situation where are you going to go with a follow through not like you can stop

Good comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Can on Djurcic - no pen.
    Allen challenge - pen.

The Can challenge was one of those that as a striker, you are defo impeded, even if the contact seels minimal. 50/50 for me.

And as a goalkeeper, you are running out with your arms up to make yourself big. If the ball hits them,you run the risk. Again, 50/50.

Sterling's was no pen for me. When I first saw it I thought it was nailed on but when you see it from the ref's angle, he gets the ball pretty clearly.

The handball was a joke claim. Arms by his side, nothing unnatural, no pen.

Allen challenge as you said, nailed on.

Really enjoying this match. The football is good and it could go either way. Let's hope the 2nd half stays the same.

• Advertisement

Anyway. 1-0. Its in our hands. Need to get things together. Need to improve a lot to get the 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Will be a miracle if we don't concede if we continue like this. Mignolet suddenly looks flappy and short on confidence again. The presence and calmness of Sakho is being severely missed!

Not quite sure what change is necessary but something needs to be done. Perhaps a dfiferent option to Sterling up top to at least help us hold up the ball a little more effectively and relieve some pressure.

But we suddenly look an absolute shambles at the back again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Migs'handball' looked just , and i mean just, inside the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm an objective fan.

Oh okay well if you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

If Mario had put in the shift Sterling has strips would be torn off him. Sterling not at it at all. Need Moreno for Markovic and possibly gonna havta take Lovren off at some stage due to being carded and being useless! would only leave one attacking change though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It hit his chest and then his arm.

Not a chance.

He's coming out with his arms up and spread to block the ball, any contact is a handball, he's going for It. That's not the same as a deflection with an outfield player whos hands are down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

paulie21 wrote: »
    Not really sure what Djurdevic was thinking? He was clean through on goal. Hoping to get Pool down to 10?

Touch a players leg at speed and they will fall over. Can knew what he was doing and got away with it

NukaCola wrote: »
    Apologies, I didn't mean to cause offence, i just honestly cant believe you think thats a foul. The game would be a joke if things like that were viewed as fouls.

I dont agree with you, and not many others seem to either. No foul. No peno. No red card. Especially with the replays. Good call from the ref for me.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. I think in the box that's a foul. Outside in the middle you could let a little pull like that go. But defenders should not be allowed to illegally impede a player and affect their shot from behind.

Intelligent sub by BR

Sad bunch.

I normally wouldn't lower myself, but you get the responses you deserve. :)

Moreno for markovic, Schriderlin on for someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Lovren giving Schneiderlin a dig in the back there coming out of the tunnel

Oh okay well if you say so.

I've no reason to lie. As I said, would like to see pool make the top four but not unfairly.

Really disappointed with Lallana

Skrtel and Lovern all over the shop today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Howard Webb got a chorus of "Death to Webb" for less than the first half performance

As a United fan the games won where everything went our way were the most satisfying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

zv8az1z.png

I've no reason to lie. As I said, would like to see pool make the top four but not unfairly.

Also my cousin has two southhampton players in his fantasy team, so it suits me to see them not pick up points. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Terrible decision from pelle.

Nib wrote: »
    zv8az1z.png

Lol.

Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

is lovern fcukin blindfolded...ffs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Howard Webb got a chorus of "Death to Webb" for less than the first half performance

As a United fan the games won where everything went our way were the most satisfying

I'd say you've been left unsatisfied a lot over the years so, a lot! Howard Webb is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Carraghers analysis on the handball didnt make sense, if the ball hit his hand directly he couldnt have time to get it out of the way anyways so if he thought they were in a nutural position as he said it shouldnt matter if it was direct from the boot of opposition or off his chest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Also my cousin has two southhampton players in his fantasy team, so it suits me to see them not pick up points. :)

You're like a drunk person trying to explain that they're not drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

x43r0 wrote: »
    Lovren giving Schneiderlin a dig in the back there coming out of the tunnel

Was just asking him how is it now he doesn't have to carry him any more

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sad bunch.

Ah jaysus ,the comments have been pretty decent in this thread to be fair but that one is just bizzare mate.

Nib wrote: »
    zv8az1z.png

Lol from Wikipedia where anyone can change details it now says Anfield

From his premier league website profile

Leicester-based Kevin Friend has been a member of the Select Group of referees since the 2009/10 season, after a successful career outside of the top flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Considering the ref sees everything once, in real time, I think he's been ok.

LOL at the armchair experts dishing it out after numerous muti-angle slow-mo replays.

Lallana has been muck.

FFS Sterling pay attention,.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

For how good Pelle was at the start of the season, he is now killing so many of Southampton's moves. That awful shot he took when Ward-Prowse was there to be put in for a tap in summed up the damage he's doing to them.

Queue a goal now though...

Advertisement