Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions - overly concerned?

Options
  • 22-02-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I've recently moved into a house in the country. At the bottom of our garden is a large field with a single horse. He has been in it since July at least, but from talking to neighbours, he has been in it for a few years. No one ever comes near him. Over the winter he has never had his feeding supplemented. It's a boggy field with feck all shelter - no man made shelter or decent ditch to give cover.
    On some of the really frosty mornings, I've crossed the ditch to make sure the ice is broken on his drinking trough. I don't know the owner, and am new to the area. What would you do? Am I being overly concerned about this horse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

What condition would you say the horse is in, OP (very thin will ribs showing, round with no sign of ribs, etc.)? If you're concerned, you can contact the local rescue or SPCA. However, unless the horse has no food (in this case, grass) there is very little they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Horses don't necessarily need food outside of grass to remain in good condition, as long as there's enough grass. Can you see his bones protruding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

The grass isn't the best, but the horse isn't skinny (yet). (He looks fab actually). He has lost a bit of condition since the summer, but I don't think that's surprising. And during the summer it looked like his feet needed attention but I can't really see he's feet now cos of the muck at the boundary ditch. I know feck all about horses which is why I was asking. I had assumed that he would need access to some sort of shelter?
    So unless he gets super skinny he is fine? Just get an eye on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

The grass isn't the best, but the horse isn't skinny (yet). (He looks fab actually). He has lost a bit of condition since the summer, but I don't think that's surprising. And during the summer it looked like his feet needed attention but I can't really see he's feet now cos of the muck at the boundary ditch. I know feck all about horses which is why I was asking. I had assumed that he would need access to some sort of shelter?
    So unless he gets super skinny he is fine? Just get an eye on him?

It's not necessarily that him not being skinny means all is well, it's more that the authorities are unlikely to do much unless he is unwell/sick/poorly. Not ideal, but such is life.

Does he have a rug? Are there trees in his field? Trees would protect him at least in some way from the worst of the elements.

I would keep an eye on him for sure, and if you see any change in his condition for the worse then you can step in. His feet would be a cause for concern for me, especially in the wet muddy weather. IF you're able to get a closer look, see are they crumbling or overgrown Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Post a photo of him and his feet maybe.
    My horses live out rugless and without supplementary feed. Winter is fine, its keeping them a healthy weight over summer thats my problem as they can easily get too fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Yeah it would be his feet I would be more concerned about... I would call a rescue centre to at least check him over.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MedusaV8

Keep an eye on him for sure. Having sufficient feed isn't the only issue. If he has been in the same field for years the grazing could be horse sick ie riddled with worms from his droppings and patchy grass growth. I'm doubting from what you say that he is being wormed or getting any yearly jabs. :/.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Sorry, been away for a few days, will try get a pic of his feet.

Advertisement