Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pedestrian crossings

Options
  • 22-02-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Is there some exemption people can get from slowing down at the pedestrian crossings?

I see cars flying through them on a daily basis. Even yesterday when there was a father and child waiting to cross.

There are kids about peeps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

JandS wrote: »
    Is there some exemption people can get from slowing down at the pedestrian crossings?

I see cars flying through them on a daily basis. Even yesterday when there was a father and child waiting to cross.

There are kids about peeps.

are they still "unofficial" crossings in Charlesland, or proper zebra crossings with road markings and flashing lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Greystones main street has 2 official pedestrian crossings controlled by lights Fine, but outside the Burnaby Pub many people mistake the cobblelock pattern on the road as a pedestrian crossing and often walk across disregarding any traffic using the road. Same happens in Charlesland at those ramps where pedestrians often think these are crossings. Saying all of the above it is good road sense for drivers to slow down when in proximity of pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Peehadc

This may have been me yesterday waiting to cross from the grove to the playpark. Watched as four cars 'tore' through the zebra crossing. On the final car I shook my head at the driver who subsequently beeped and mouthed something to me..
    Section 18 of the rules of the road say cars must stop but they rarely do. Seen people overtaking on this section of road too. All this near misses are stacking up for something serious.
    A few years back while letting an elderly couple cross at the phq crossing I was rear ended at speed. No injuries but it illustrates the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

A friend of mine failed his test in the uk for taking off at a zebra crossing before a pedestrian had both feet on the opposite pavement. Iykwim.

On a positive note re Greystones' motorists, crossings and pedestrians: There's a ramp at Brady's going over to Topaz which everyone treats as a pedestrian crossing - everyone including motorists. I have often been waved across with my toddler in one hand and my buggy in the other whilst cars in both directions have stopped and waited patiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Peehadc wrote: »
    Section 18 of the rules of the road say cars must stop but they rarely do. Seen people overtaking on this section of road too. All this near misses are stacking up for something serious.
    A few years back while letting an elderly couple cross at the phq crossing I was rear ended at speed. No injuries but it illustrates the point.

Persons wishing to cross at a zebra crossing must signal their intentions by putting a foot on the crossing. Far too often people just stand and await motorists to stop. Perhaps this is due to fear of irresponsible drivers not stopping. This is understandable but incorrect. Most motorists will oblige but are not required to do so. Put at least one foot out and commence to cross when it is safe to do so i.e. allow oncoming sufficient time to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Greystones main street has 2 official pedestrian crossings controlled by lights Fine, but outside the Burnaby Pub many people mistake the cobblelock pattern on the road as a pedestrian crossing and often walk across disregarding any traffic using the road. Same happens in Charlesland at those ramps where pedestrians often think these are crossings. Saying all of the above it is good road sense for drivers to slow down when in proximity of pedestrians and cyclists.

The raised ramp crossings at charlesland do have the "yellow man walking symbol sign on a pole at the crossings..This to me indicates that it's a legally recognised pedestrian crossing..However I'm often disgusted at drivers who could stop but make a point of not stopping to allow people to cross..pedestrian should always come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Shazerina wrote: »
    A friend of mine failed his test in the uk for taking off at a zebra crossing before a pedestrian had both feet on the opposite pavement. Iykwim.

On a positive note re Greystones' motorists, crossings and pedestrians: There's a ramp at Brady's going over to Topaz which everyone treats as a pedestrian crossing - everyone including motorists. I have often been waved across with my toddler in one hand and my buggy in the other whilst cars in both directions have stopped and waited patiently.

I see more people stopping at that "pedestrian crossing" than the one at Greystones Medical Centre!

Maudi wrote: »
    The raised ramp crossings at charlesland do have the "yellow man walking symbol sign on a pole at the crossings..This to me indicates that it's a legally recognised pedestrian crossing..However I'm often disgusted at drivers who could stop but make a point of not stopping to allow people to cross..pedestrian should always come first.

Only at the ramps with the orange flashing lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

The ramps at the entrance to Charlesland used to have lines painted on them

Aronaay wrote: »
    The ramps at the entrance to Charlesland used to have lines painted on them

Yes to highlight that they are ramps.

• Advertisement

Yes to highlight that they are ramps.

No they where for crossing one side had a bike painted on it for the bike lane. To highlight a ramp they paint arrows on them where cars can see them no lines on top that would be easily missed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

For the uncontrolled crossing points (like on entry to Charlesland), you'll find the orange blistered paving. Still need to have the white lines which should be in place to guide a visually impaired person across the road. If these are not there, then they should be reinstated.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Nope..The raised bumps at the roundabout are definitely for pedestrians crossing..They are furnished with a pedestrian sign of a man crossing and the approach to them from the pavement features a break in the grass verge and dimpled paving slabs..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Nope..The raised bumps at the roundabout are definitely for pedestrians crossing..They are furnished with a pedestrian sign of a man crossing and the approach to them from the pavement features a break in the grass verge and dimpled paving slabs..

the signs are there to warn drivers there may be pedestrians crossing, but they don't give pedestrians any right of way unless its a zebra crossing.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the signs are there to warn drivers there may be pedestrians crossing, but they don't give pedestrians any right of way unless its a zebra crossing.

Oh? So if I'm driving home in the eve and someone goes to cross I don't legally have to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Oh? So if I'm driving home in the eve and someone goes to cross I don't legally have to stop?

If it's not a legal pedestrian crossing, I guess they are jaywalking. I always stop there. Always wonder why they (whoever) don't just make it a plain, obvious, official pedestrian crossing.....

Langerland wrote: »
    If it's not a legal pedestrian crossing, I guess they are jaywalking. I always stop there. Always wonder why they (whoever) don't just make it a plain, obvious, official pedestrian crossing.....

The ramps are legal pedestrian crossings the makings where never replaced when they covered up the cobbles that where originally there. Management company trying to save money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The ramps are legal pedestrian crossings the makings where never replaced when they covered up the cobbles that where originally there. Management company trying to save money

Assuming you're talking about Charlesland, I'd check your information.
    I rarely stop, only for children and families.

See page 197.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I always stop basically because I'm slowed down so much for going over those ramps that it doesn't really make a difference and whats a few seconds out of your day. That said I think there is a bit of confusion over it, a few months ago a pedestrian went f*ckin bananas at me because I didn't stop, shouting, roaring arms flapping etc...I didn't stop purely because the first I saw of them was when they were to the right of my wing mirror, they were wearing dark clothing with no visibility and it was late in the evening. If this is supposed to be an official pedestrian crossing, it needs to be lit up as are pedestrian crossings outside of the estate.

Unrelated, but on the speed issue and this new law proposal...I tried several times to drive at 20kmh within the estate. I can positively say that this is reckless driving and nothing short of dangerous. The car struggling for a gear shift and you spend half the time trying to watch the speedo instead of the road...it's excessive and stupid and could cause more accidents than anything else :(

LEIN wrote: »
    Assuming you're talking about Charlesland, I'd check your information.
    I rarely stop, only for children and families.

See page 197.

Correct. I don't think it's legal which of course, makes it even more dangerous.

Locals, like us, know that the done thing is to give way to pedestrians there. Non-locals may do the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭beepbeeprichie

Sounds like more lives could be saved by having a clearly defined way using pedestrian crossings rather than a blanket 20km speed limit.
    There is obviously too much confusion with these crossings and I'm not surprised. Zebra crossings were pretty much eradicated in the 90s and recently they have been reintroduced with overkill everywhere. As discussed elsewhere on boards, those killincarrig roundabouts are overkill, too much going on.I'm sure they think it has been made safer but I think it is a death trap.
    What happened to stop, look and listen before you cross? Now it's just walk out in front of cars and both parties commence shouting, arm waving and cursing....Ah much better and safer

Sounds like more lives could be saved by having a clearly defined way using pedestrian crossings rather than a blanket 20km speed limit.
    There is obviously too much confusion with these crossings and I'm not surprised. Zebra crossings were pretty much eradicated in the 90s and recently they have been reintroduced with overkill everywhere. As discussed elsewhere on boards, those killincarrig roundabouts are overkill, too much going on.I'm sure they think it has been made safer but I think it is a death trap.
    What happened to stop, look and listen before you cross? Now it's just walk out in front of cars and both parties commence shouting, arm waving and cursing....Ah much better and safer

Death Trap????? :eek::eek::D Give me a break!! :) Anyway, this discussion is about the Charlesland entrance crossings, which you seem to agree are poor at best.

Completely disagree with your point regarding zebra/pedestrian crossings in general. Considering driver behaviour, speed, etc these days and at least 50% of users of those crossings would be minors, I think that they are more important than ever. Albeit, a pain when one is an innocent law abiding driver. I would rather my kids crossing at the new Killincarrig roundabouts than the old crossing any day. The alternative would be traffic lights I guess.

Or perhaps you are trolling us???? ;)

There are just too many types of crossings, then add in those speed ramps that no one really knows if they are crossings, it's a nightmare. Why can't there just be one type of crossing so there are no blurred lines of who's right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

There are just too many types of crossings, then add in those speed ramps that no one really knows if they are crossings, it's a nightmare. Why can't there just be one type of crossing so there are no blurred lines of who's right or wrong.

The rules of the road clearly state what a crossing is and they are not.
    See my last post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

Those ramps at the entrance to Charlesland are RAMPS not pedestrian crossings, I don't know what the confusion is. That said I let people cross there all the time because it's become the norm and people expect it. That first ramp as you come in is dangerous for cars because when you stop to let someone cross a car comes flying around the corner almost driving into you.

girl24 wrote: »
    Those ramps at the entrance to Charlesland are RAMPS not pedestrian crossings, I don't know what the confusion is. That said I let people cross there all the time because it's become the norm and people expect it. That first ramp as you come in is dangerous for cars because when you stop to let someone cross a car comes flying around the corner almost driving into you.
    The confusion is that indeed you do stop to let people across.
    And the rules of the road clearly state ALL the rules of the road, doesn't mean that everybody knows them.

Advertisement