Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup Day 10 - England v Scotland

• 22-02-2015 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

England v Scotland
    Christchurch
    Group A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

This is it for England.....lose tomoro and they are almost on the runway home......

Hales in for Ballance is the only change they'll make I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

What are Englands chances of wining this game?

Is there a situation where if England lose this Ireland could end up facing them in the quarters?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Here's hoping for another failure for Morgan, it mightn't be a popular opinion but I really dislike the guys attitude to Ireland.
    Morgan snub for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Agent J wrote: »
    What are Englands chances of wining this game?

Is there a situation where if England lose this Ireland could end up facing them in the quarters?

Almost certainly not..... if England qualify they will probably finish in 3rd or 4th in the group meaning they will play one of the top 2 in Pool B (probably India or South Africa). And if England lose this they will do well to advance to the quarters at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Here's hoping for another failure for Morgan, it mightn't be a popular opinion but I really dislike the guys attitude to Ireland.
    Morgan snub for Ireland

If the ECB are okay with him missing the game, why aren't you? It's going to be a makeshift English team anyway so it doesn't matter one more is missing.

I want him to succeed and to start by getting a ton tonight. Can't be dealing with the anti-Morgan stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Gillespy wrote: »
    If the ECB are okay with him missing the game, why aren't you? It's going to be a makeshift English team anyway so it doesn't matter one more is missing.

I want him to succeed and to start by getting a ton tonight. Can't be dealing with the anti-Morgan stuff.

Absolutely......he's paid per match at the IPL......so why would he bother with an Eng v Irl game if his own employer isn't bothered to send the first XI

Sooner or later every IPL player is going to put his franchise and the big bucks before country so all the boards need to put their collective heads together and create a window for all its contracted players to be available for the full duration of the IPL ...... Otherwise you will end up with a situation like the Eng v Irl game where the second string arrives to play an official match

Gillespy wrote: »

I don't even see why he need to be 'allowed' to continue playing in India, this is one of the most important games for cricket in Ireland and the fact that he is fine with devaluing it even further than the ECB with their selection policy says a lot about his attitude to Irish cricket, imo. It's nothing to do with him playing for England rather his attitude to Irish cricket that got him to where he is today

If he was in the test team he wouldn't be coming either. Morgan can't be eternally indebted to Irish cricket. He did his bit and out grew it. That's the reality of it. He's England captain now and playing in the IPL and that reflects well on Irish cricket too.

I'm just thankful there's an ODI with England. It's something to look forward to and any side they send will be a challenge, some really exciting players waiting to get in the first team. It was a weakened team last time too and they won remember.

I remember the game alright, their B team was ****e except for Bopara, Rankin and Morgan, it didn't do a whole lot for Ireland tbh, considering how we beat their full team the WC before that. I am more interested in what's directly good for Irish cricket than some indirect kudos we get from having our best players playing elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Scotland win the toss and will bowl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think scotland have a decent chance here, were unlucky to lose 3 of their recognised batsmen lbw first ball against NZ, and took 7 wickets that day, so will be no pushover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

If someone has an issue with or dislikes Morgan, that's fine, that's their own inner world, but I don't really agree with interjecting that bitterness or that whole issue into a thread on the England game. An unnecessary souring of the 'atmosphere' imo.
    Though then otoh you could argue there probably won't be too much in the way of comments here otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

10 ball over there, Davey making difficult work of it

KevIRL wrote: »
    10 ball over there, Davey making difficult work of it

THough at least a bit of a confidence booster for him with the last ball.

I wonder if the Scots would have been better off batting first here

somebody just told Bell there that this isn't a test match :D

Scotland seriously need some kind of pressure to start coming on England to expose the mental fragility that must be there. Think I'll give it a break for a while & see later if any sense of giant-killing has come alive - not that England at moment are exactly giants.

Time to give up on this one I think, I thought the Scots would be more competitive than this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Disappointing that Scotland couldn't make more of a fist of it after giving NZ a bit of a scare. After the performance of the associates so far this isn't helping how the associates are perceived. Hopefully they get a wicket or two soon or that score could get to embarrassing levels.

Ali gone. Knowing England they'll get skittled out for 240 now

• Advertisement

Ali gone. Knowing England they'll get skittled out for 240 now

Well there's another wicket gone....

It's all happening!

And another... There's 4 gone now.

Looks like he got him, great stumping

Some catching practice here at the end

Scotland will be happy enough with that I guess considering how bad things were looking for the first half of the game, seems like a decent batting pitch, too many wides bowled though.

Why are Scotland so consistently disappointing against the full members yet can challenge Ireland one on one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

One of the worst innnings of the world cup that from Ian Bell 54 off 85 balls? 2 fours, no sixes? ****e. :pac::mad:

Credit to Ali and Finn though, they were very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Rjd2 wrote: »
    One of the worst innnings of the world cup that from Ian Bell 54 off 5 balls? 2 fours, no sixes? ****e. :pac::mad:

Credit to Ali and Finn though, they were very good.

54 off 5 balls? One of the great World Cup innings!

But disappointed with Scotland again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah Scotland were meh, some poor shots and very harmless bowling early on, makes our hammering against them more concerning then it already was.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    One of the worst innnings of the world cup that from Ian Bell 54 off 85 balls? 2 fours, no sixes? ****e. :pac::mad:

Look at it in terms of the partnership. Take that opening stand everyday especially after being put in. Bell was out of sorts and wasn't able to kick on to correct his strike rate. He should be better for the time in the middle.

Scotland got away with it though, it was only Ali, Morgan and Butler that looked anyway fluent. Woeful bowling attack, shutter to think what Australia will do to it.

Advertisement