Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a Storm Coming

Options
  • 22-02-2015 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

Just watched the forecast on the TV and there is a storm warning for tonight and tomorrow especially for the West Coast with storm force winds and very high tides, now our City Council forked out 40 k for a flood barrier and I passed the Spanish Arch area and it's no where to be seen, yet RTE shows Councils in the East installing sand bags in case of flooding, where is our new state of the art barrier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

thought this was gonna be another RAG week thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

wprathead wrote: »
    thought this was gonna be another RAG week thread

Senseless comment amazing how you can get rag week from a weather forecast, I saw the forecast for the week ahead and it gives storm force winds tonight and tomorrow in the West of 130kmh which given the height of the tides at present could cause flooding, lets hope the barrier is put out in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aerohead wrote: »
    Senseless comment amazing how you can get rag week from a weather forecast, I saw the forecast for the week ahead and it gives storm force winds tonight and tomorrow in the West of 130kmh which given the height of the tides at present could cause flooding, lets hope the barrier is put out in time.
    We have a storm barrier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Prepared to be disappointed by a bit of wind and drizzle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Prepared to be disappointed by a bit of wind and drizzle
    A normal Saturday night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Aerohead wrote: »

131299-Nothing-goes-over-my-head-gif-Tfvb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just watched the forecast on the TV and there is a storm warning for tonight and tomorrow especially for the West Coast with storm force winds and very high tides, now our City Council forked out 40 k for a flood barrier and I passed the Spanish Arch area and it's no where to be seen, yet RTE shows Councils in the East installing sand bags in case of flooding, where is our new state of the art barrier

Peak High Tide for Galway was Saturday morning. If the storm was to have hit a few days earlier, I'd say they might have been more worried.

As it is places like Clontarf Road in Dublin (one of the places mentioned in the times article) is largely reclaimed land.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Storm 10 wrote: »

I passed this morning around 9, no barrier in place.

Tide was very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

That barrier to me, seemed like it could have been temporary or removable. Thankfully it probably wasn't/isn't needed.

link to barrier info from L&M Keating

[edit] I wonder if they can be re-used? Seems to me like they could be... [/edit]

[edit2] Apparently it can be re-used, but it takes a bit of setup [/edit2]

Advertisement