Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum standards for rented accommodation

Options
  • 22-02-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Just a quick question, if ye don't mind.

www dot citizensinformation dot ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

I have read on the above link that for rented accommodation the following must be provided:
    A sink with hot and cold water
    A separate room, for the exclusive use of each rented unit, with a toilet, a washbasin and a fixed bath or shower with hot and cold water
    A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control
    Facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food, for example, a 4-ring hob with oven and grill, fridge-freezer and microwave oven
    Access to a washing machine
    Access to a clothes-dryer if the rented unit does not have a private garden or yard
    A fire blanket and smoke alarms
    Access to vermin-proof and pest-proof refuse storage facilities

A friend of mine is living in a converted garage studio behind his landlords house. It has everything except the washing machine.

Just checking, do the above standards apply to all rented accommodation or is there an exception for when single rooms are rented?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hey folks,

Just a quick question, if ye don't mind.

www dot citizensinformation dot ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

I have read on the above link that for rented accommodation the following must be provided:
    A sink with hot and cold water
    A separate room, for the exclusive use of each rented unit, with a toilet, a washbasin and a fixed bath or shower with hot and cold water
    A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control
    Facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food, for example, a 4-ring hob with oven and grill, fridge-freezer and microwave oven
    Access to a washing machine
    Access to a clothes-dryer if the rented unit does not have a private garden or yard
    A fire blanket and smoke alarms
    Access to vermin-proof and pest-proof refuse storage facilities

A friend of mine is living in a converted garage studio behind his landlords house. It has everything except the washing machine.

Just checking, do the above standards apply to all rented accommodation or is there an exception for when single rooms are rented?

Thanks. :)

Sounds like he is renting a room rather than a house.
    Also I would imagine the room hasn't actually got planning permission for habitable use unless it's actually connected to the main house.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedPandaDan

kceire wrote: »
    Sounds like he is renting a room rather than a house.
    Also I would imagine the room hasn't actually got planning permission for habitable use unless it's actually connected to the main house.

Its connected to the main house, but he needs to go through the back garden to access it, was just checking what the story is, since he isn't looking forward to the prospect of taking trips to the laundrette.

Thanks for your reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Why would he rent somewhere that doesn't have a washing machine?

Why would he rent somewhere that doesn't have a washing machine?

He isn't from Ireland and made some very poor assumptions about renting here, specifically that he'd be allowed use the machine in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I've a sneaking suspicion that this would fall under the rent a room scheme so the minimum standards won't apply. He'd be best off moving.

• Advertisement

I've a sneaking suspicion that this would fall under the rent a room scheme so the minimum standards won't apply. He'd be best off moving.

As I feared.

Thanks for your replies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why doesn't he just use a laundrette? Post in the relevant regional forum to find out where the nearest one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why doesn't he just use a laundrette? Post in the relevant regional forum to find out where the nearest one is.

I imagine OPs friend is hoping that there will be a law, that the LL will have to buy the tenant a washing machine. Although the friend should have asked was there one when he rented the place.

Even in Dublin, Laundrettes are few and far between

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Not as easy as you seem to think. That's something I've discovered here. Very few launderettes, and NO coin-op laundries which I find very odd. You have to pay for a service wash...

I now have to send my winter quilts to the dry-cleaners at E20 a pop with very mixed results :mad: Back home, saved my £1 and 50p coins, took the quilt to the local coin-op, washed, dried (if the weather wasn't good) and back home in a couple of hours, rather than the week it takes to clean it here.

Just the inconvenience more than anything, he'll probably just end up finding a launderette.
    hfallada wrote: »
    I imagine OPs friend is hoping that there will be a law, that the LL will have to buy the tenant a washing machine. Although the friend should have asked was there one when he rented the place.

Not even, just being allowed use the one in the house would probably be enough.

I'm sure the lesson is learned though. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement