Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV advice - Job Hopping

Options
  • 22-02-2015 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was hoping you may be able to provide me with some advice.

I would consider myself a very passionate, dedicated worker who goes above and beyond expectations in every role that I pursue.

I have worked in fast paced, high pressure environment role straight after college from 2008 to 2012 where I finished up due to voluntary redundancy as I felt it was time to move on to a position where I could obtain Career Advancement as I did as much as I could in my time there and the company has now closed down in Ireland.

I entered a number of positions since within other large multinational companies, all temporary contracts, the last was 6 months which I finished up at the end of August(I loved it and would have stayed but it was a new company and had no more work available). I entered straight into another fixed term contract with another large multinational company on September 1st which I am currently still in, in a product source management role with a lot expected of me but little or no recognition or appreciation and not paid right for what I do.

I feel the role I am in, doesn't truly reflect the skills I have and I feel I could bring a lot more to a different company. It is now over 6 months since I have been here and I feel like the only reason I am staying here is so that I will have some consistency on my CV again (as in have the year with this company behind me) and that it will impact me negatively as it appears that I have been job-hopping.

I am giving the role I am in now 110%, I am paid less than my colleagues on permanent roles, I do more work than most and I have spoken about my concerns but I was advised that this is the way the company is and look at it as opportunities. I have been getting positive feedback from everyone but I am not happy.

My friend works for a smaller company, they pay for her exams, her manager really looks after them and I feel all I am is another number.

I want a job that I can have a career with - I will likely have a permanent contract with this company when contract is up (they are a good company) but I know now I am not happy and the people that are there aren't either.. even though they stay years doing the same thing.

Is job-hopping going to negatively impact my future career opportunities or would you say I should look else where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you have a fixed-term contract job, simply add "fixed-term contract" in the description on your CV. When asked why you didn't go for permanent, you can say that you wanted to get as broad an experience as possible. If any company holds it against you, they're just being silly, although you have to expect to be asked about it in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

Thank you :) Good point.. I suppose the way the it is these days, it is very difficult to get a permanent role. Going by my 3 other posts. I am just weary that this will be the 3rd job I am finishing after 6 months... I could stick it out for the year but I am worn out every day from it and getting no thanks. I even had to email my manager to see would I be having a review as my probation is up.... where as the permanent staff get yearly goals to meet etc...but I am just a robot, putting in so much work but nothing in return! (I know I shouldn't complain as lucky to have a job)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

*going by my 3 other jobs

Advertisement