Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provos new dirty war on 600k households

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I have. Thanks!

Deary me, looks like we'll be waiting. Is slab organizing chem trails over louth too?

I hear there's a tin foil hat in next weeks sunday indo, based on the model Jim Cusack wears 24/7, maybe that will bring people around to your conspiracy theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

In October 2005, officers of the British Assets Recovery Agency and the Irish Criminal Assets Bureau carried out raids on a number of businesses in Manchester and Dundalk.[8] It was extensively reported in the media that the investigation is aimed at damaging the suspected multi-million pound empire of Murphy, who according to the BBC's Underworld Rich List, has accumulated up to £40 million through smuggling oil, cigarettes, grain and pigs; as well as through silent or partial ownership in legitimate businesses and in property.[9]
    In his first-ever press release, issued on 12 October 2005, Murphy denied he owned any property and denied that he had any links with co-accused Cheshire businessman Dermot Craven (Frank Murphy, Thomas' brother, was a client of Cravens). Thomas Murphy stated:
    I have been a republican all my life and fully support the peace process. I will continue to play whatever role I can, to see it work.
    Furthermore, Murphy claimed that he had to sell property to cover his legal fees after his failed libel case against the Sunday Times and that he made a living from farming. He went on to say:
    There is absolutely no foundation to the allegations about me which have been carried in the media for some time, and repeated at length over the past week, I want to categorically state, for the record, that all of these allegations are totally untrue."[10]
    On 9 March 2006 police, soldiers and customs officials from both sides of the Irish border launched a large dawn raid on his house and several other buildings in the border region. Three persons were arrested by the Gardaí, but were released three days after. A fleet of tankers, computers, documents, two shotguns, over 30,000 cigarettes and the equivalent of 800,000 euros in sterling bank notes, euro bank notes and cheques were seized. Four laundering facilities attached to a major network of storage tanks, some of which were underground, were also found.[11] The Irish Criminal Assets Bureau later obtained seizure orders to take possession of euro cash and cheques and sterling cash and cheques, together worth around one million Euros.[12]
    Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams made a public statement in support of Murphy following the March 2006 raids. Under political and media pressure over allegations of the IRA's continued presence in South Armagh, Adams said:
    Tom Murphy is not a criminal. He's a good republican and I read his statement after the Manchester raids and I believe what he says and also and very importantly he is a key supporter of Sinn Féin's peace strategy and has been for a very long time.[13]
    He also said:
    I want to deal with what is an effort to portray Tom Murphy as a criminal, as a bandit, as a gang boss, as someone who is exploiting the republican struggle for his own ends, as a multimillionaire. There is no evidence to support any of that.[14]
    And also:
    He's a good republican ... Tom Murphy was one of the supporters of this peace process.[15]
    Assets seizure and settlement

Murphy was arrested in Dundalk, County Louth on 7 November 2007 by detectives from the Criminal Assets Bureau, on charges relating to alleged revenue offences. The following day, he was charged with tax evasion under the Tax Consolidation Act.[16][17] Murphy was later released on his own bail of €20,000 with an independent surety of €50,000.
    On 17 October 2008, in an agreed legal settlement, Murphy and his brothers paid over £1 million in assets and cash to the authorities in Britain and the Republic, in settlement of a global crime and fraud investigation, relating to proceeds of crime associated with smuggling and money laundering. After an investigation involving the Irish Criminal Assets Bureau and the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency, over 625,000 euros (£487,) in cash and cheques was confiscated by the Republic's courts, while nine properties in northwest England worth £445,000 were confiscated by British courts.[2] Murphy is still fighting a claim in the Republic's courts for tax evasion, relating to non-completion of tax returns for eight years from 1996.
    On 26 April 2010, he was further remanded on bail.[18]

In 2011, there were claims that Thomas Murphy had became disillusioned with the Northern Ireland peace process and that he had fallen out with Sinn Féin. However, there is no evidence to support he is sympathetic to any dissident republican groups. In March 2013, Gardaí and PSNI, along with members of the Irish Customs Authority and HMRC, raided Murphy's farm on the Louth-Armagh border. There was a report, that two hours prior to raid fire was seen coming from Murphy's yard, at around 4am, by the Sunday World. It was contended that Murphy was attempting to burn evidence, such as papers and computers, althoug farmers in the Republic often burn waste materials, in an effort to cut down on the amount of waste in their waste collection, because they are charged for the amount of waste materials collected by local councils. [19]
    I wonder what the Gardaí and PSNI were doing raiding him in 2013?

Innocent man, and all that. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think I can sum it up!

Rabble rabble rabble.. Irish independent....rabble rabble rabble......

mod:Lots of angry off topic posts here, the above just being one example. Try to be nice or I'll lock the thread. That goes for you too Record Straight, just in case that wasnt clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Bambi wrote: »
    Deary me, looks like we'll be waiting. Is slab organizing chem trails over louth too?

I hear there's a tin foil hat in next weeks sunday indo, based on the model Jim Cusack wears 24/7, maybe that will bring people around to your conspiracy theory.

The same Sindo that confidently predicted Gerry Adams would come last in Louth at the General Election? :D

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    The same Sindo that confidently predicted Gerry Adams would come last in Louth at the General Election? :D
    The Sindo is a joke.

But the facts speak for themselves. Why were the PSNI and Gardaí raiding Murphy's farm again in 2013, do you think? Just calling around to say hello?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

The Sindo is a joke.

But the facts speak for themselves. Why were the PSNI and Gardaí raiding Murphy's farm again in 2013, do you think? Just calling around to say hello?

what has he got to do with this thread though? you've moved from claiming provos are doing x, y and z to tom murphy is a bad man after your original claim was shown to be rubbish.

I wonder what the Gardaí and PSNI were doing raiding him in 2013?

Innocent man, and all that. :rolleyes:

But that doesn't prove direct "Provo" involvement in diesel laundering. In fact there's been precious little evidence at all linking SF and the now defunct IRA with such activities barring Jim Cusack's "sources within the Gardai". Just because INM says so doesn't mean it is true.

The Sindo is a joke.

Beats me. Is he being charged for fuel laundering?

But that doesn't prove direct "Provo" involvement in diesel laundering. In fact there's been precious little evidence at all linking SF and the now defunct IRA with such activities barring Jim Cusack's "sources within the Gardai". Just because INM says so doesn't mean it is true.
    This is why Sinn Fein are transfer poison. You guys routinely insult our intelligence. There is no proof that Bertie Ahern ever took a bribe in his life. Do you think he was straight?

• Advertisement

This is why Sinn Fein are transfer poison. You guys routinely insult our intelligence. There is no proof that Bertie Ahern ever took a bribe in his life. Do you think he was straight?

Don't start automatically accusing me of being a Shinner just because I call out Sindo bullsh1t when I see it. I'll defend the other parties as well if the Malteser's comic publishes wholly incorrect articles about them as well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

<snip>

mod: last warning - play nice or dont play at all

Ok, seeing as only Sinn Fein fans can abuse posters with impunity, I'm out. Good night guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Ridiculous lies from start to finish. As someone who lives here I can attest to the fact that nobody is more involved in stopping these dumpers than Sinn fein.
    Hilarious as well that a week after the Gardai issue a statement saying the PIRA is gone, not just not involved in criminality, gone, the Sindo has its own "source" saying otherwise.
    The indo has really lurched into all out propaganda with this one. Utterly disgusting. Total gutter "journalism." Anyone actually believing the crap in the indo at this stage is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Beats me. Is he being charged for fuel laundering?

No. Tax dodging on property over in England I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We all know it couldn't have been the Provos....After all GA insists they've gone away and don't exist anymore..

Gets coat and leaves:eek:

• Advertisement

Is this thread going anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We all know it couldn't have been the Provos....After all GA insists they've gone away and don't exist anymore..

Gets coat and leaves:eek:

The gardee are saying they've gone away now :eek:

11002610_944869568870859_3260182813098491367_n.jpg?oh=26b07fe32f8b1840fb65068a42855375&oe=55514DD8

Poor ould Jim will be reduced to chasing these mythical provies around the hills of donegal like bigfoot :(

Is this thread going anywhere?

Given that the OP has since been banned and the opening post god awful then no, probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think its worth keeping open. Its always worth a laugh to read the posts of the shinners.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The Provos called a ceasefire 21 years ago, their young Oglachs would have been maybe 21 -23 at the time that would mean their 42-44 now. The older would ones would be in late 50 - mid 60's. I doubt a bunch of old men did this. How many old IRA men were still active & fighting during the border campaign.

Why do you doubt it?

Those men who are in their late 50s - mid 60s know no other life than to be murderers and criminals. They have spent most of their life stuck to an outdated philosophy that drove them to violence, thuggery and criminality. What makes you think they could just give it up like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Godge wrote: »
    Why do you doubt it?

Those men who are in their late 50s - mid 60s know no other life than to be murderers and criminals. They have spent most of their life stuck to an outdated philosophy that drove them to violence, thuggery and criminality. What makes you think they could just give it up like that?

good to see you still have your finger firmly on the pulse of republicanism with that fine summary of their reason for existing in the conflict that occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Given that the OP has since been banned and the opening post god awful then no, probably not.

Indeed. Probably best we leave it at that then, except to say the thread doesn't meet the standard expected on the main forum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement