Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you celebrate after your Viva?

• 22-02-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

This is only a trivial issue, just something I'm curious about. I've got my PhD viva next week, and was just wondering what those of you who've completed did to celebrate (obviously it may not go well, but even if not, I'll be needing a blow out I think!)? I've heard a couple of people say they went for dinner/drinks with their supervisor and the examiners... My supervisor is great and all, but whatever about him, I certainly really don't want to spend the aftermath making conversation with the extern etc., for the evening! I don't live in my Uni city anymore so need to make advance arrangements. I don't really want to ask my supervisor if he has anything in mind in case he thinks I'm hinting about him organising something - I'd rather book a hotel for the night and have a bottle of bubbly with/cry on the shoulder of my OH! Obviously don't want to offend anyone though, especially not before the Viva itself :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I'm not done yet, but I think it varies by university and even by lab.

In Switzerland you are responsible for the refreshments afterwards, and some people put on a big spread with food from their native countries. Others organise catering for sandwiches etc. Another guy put on a fairly minimal amount, but lots of beer, then a group us all went for pizza at a nearby restaurant, which his boss ended up covering.

I think it's totally up to you and what you feel like organising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I had my viva at 8 o'clock in the morning and was done by half 10, so couldn't really go for a drink that early. Also was in a daze after everything. It varies widely by university and department. In Queen's usually the student goes out for lunch/dinner with the external and sometimes the supervisor is there, although this isn't the norm and I know one lad who we ended up just having cans in the office. I would keep it casual and let things take their course. I mean most decent restaurants won't throw a hissy fit over a late booking and a few drinks is definitely a must. If you're supervisor and/or the external examiner don't head out (happened with me) then just do your own thing. Best thing to do is just tell people where you'll be and why you're out celebrating and play it by ear!

Good luck with the viva in any case!

Advertisement