Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Interesting Weather Stations?

Options
  • 22-02-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I downloaded the data from met.ie for the Dublin Airport weather station.

I used it to make these graphs of Temperature and Wind

jb26hwHl.png

5eEQj2ml.png

The data Met.ie gives is
    maxtp: - Maximum Air Temperature (C)
    mintp: - Minimum Air Temperature (C)
    rain: - Precipitation Amount (mm)
    wdsp: - Mean Wind Speed (knot)
    hm: - Highest ten minute mean wind speed (knot)
    ddhm: - Mean Wind Direction over 10 minutes at time of highest 10 minute mean (degree)
    hg: - Highest Gust (knot)
    sun: - Sunshine duration (hours)
    dos: - Dept of Snow (cm)
    g_rad - Global Radiation (j/cm sq.)
    i: - Indicator

Which weather station would have interesting data for these? As in is the wettest weather station in Kerry or Mayo? Where is the sunniest? That sort of thing. If there is a measure you think would be interesting and a location it would be interesting in could you advise me on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

CVQ0rTXl.png

I have done another one for Sun at Dublin airport. I tried get the data for Wexford and Kerry but the file wouldn't download for me.

I wrote a quick post here on where I got the code for these. Hopefully Met Eireann get back to me with data for other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Serious stuff there man fairplay ! , definitely gonna give this a try some day over the summer! Book marking those pages now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Speaking of interesting weather, Id be interested to see if the proposed Derrdonnell Apple data centre will have an affect on the temperature readings in the Athenry weather station.
    The data centre will be producing as much heat as a large town and it will be just a mile due west.

It probably wouldn't be noticeable but then again it might be like a small urban heat island affect?
    Snow might become a bit rarer in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

According to this link the site could use 360MW which is enough to power 230000 homes.
    So it will surely have a significant heat island effect.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/apples-new-irish-data-centre-everything-you-need-to-know-31015930.html

snowstreams According to this link the site could use 360MW which is enough to power 230000 homes.
    So it will surely have a significant heat island effect.

a quick google says

Country Household population Households Household size Year
    Ireland N/A 1,576,409 N/A 2008

How many are in an Irish household? Lets say 2.3 the UK figure.

That would put it at the same household usage as Dublin city (not suburbs)

• Advertisement

I tried to graph the temperatures everyday since 1985 with colour coding for five year blocks

I think this is too messy. I might try get the average per month rather then daily temperatures to make it clearer. Any other ideas how to improve this graph?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

cavedave wrote: »
    I think this is too messy. I might try get the average per month rather then daily temperatures to make it clearer. Any other ideas how to improve this graph?

Maybe one idea would be to plot the 30 year averages for each day, and center them around their respective IQR (q1 - q3), which would give a fair idea of a the standard daily range. I am not too knowledgeable with R but you can get these by adding this to an aggregate function:

......quantile, probs=c(0.20,0.80)

(or whatever quantile values you might want to use yourself)

You could equally do this with the standard deviation (FUN = sd)as well. Adding the daily absolute max/min also may add even more scope to the plot. smile.png

New Moon

Advertisement