Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »
    Apart from WB which most of us disagree with, does he reportedly mind up front on his own?

Good point. From what I read it was being asked to play at WB was his big "concern" however I have no idea if that is actually true. CF wouldn't be a "bonkers" position for an AM to play whereas WB may be as LiamO had stated which is what I was replying to.

For a man who wants to be known as "a kid who loves to play football and to do the best for the team" shouldn't he be happy to play the odd game at WB or CF anyway?........thats a different debate though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

NukaCola wrote: »
    Good point. From what I read it was being asked to play at WB was his big "concern" however I have no idea if that is actually true. CF wouldn't be a "bonkers" position for an AM to play whereas WB may be as LiamO had stated which is what I was replying to.

For a man who wants to be known as "a kid who loves to play football and to do the best for the team" shouldn't he be happy to play the odd game at WB or CF anyway?........thats a different debate though.

Agreed.

If you are really crying over three games at WB when you are 20 then you probably aren't in it for the team's best interests.

Might just be an excuse to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I assume if he runs out his contract and goes to an English club we'd get a pretty large wedge from the committee?!?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I assume if he runs out his contract and goes to an English club we'd get a pretty large wedge from the committee?!?

Probably, in relative terms anyhow. He'd be 22 by that time, but it would still only be around 10m tops surely? It may even be less than that, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rob316 wrote: »
    Drop him for the game this weekend. I don't want any player playing for us who's "head isn't in it". A lot of lazy performances from him lately, this explains why.

Liverpool gave him the platform to develop and more, he's absolutely owes us, stop kidding yourself otherwise.

His advisers are idiots, the dog on the street would tell you Liverpool is best for his development till he is at least 22/23. If he's goes to a club like City this season and flops, a career of playing for someone like Stoke or Everton awaits because all he will of shown at Liverpool is a mix of brilliant and mediocre in 2 seasons.

I'm not bitter

chuck-norris-thumbs-up-dodgeball-gif.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If he doesn't see his future at the club, get as much money as we can for him in the summer and bring someone else in.

I don't really get worked up about players wanting to leave anymore. We've seen them come and we'll see them go, but the club will always be there.

If he thinks every season will be as easy as the Suarez and Sturridge one in terms of attacking then I fear he may be sorely disappointed.

Then again, maybe I am letting my bitterness get the best of me too.

If the club had a price for Suarez they have a price for Sterling. What that is, and whether they are likely to get it though is a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

5starpool wrote: »
    If the club had a price for Suarez they have a price for Sterling. What that is, and whether they are likely to get it though is a different matter.

If someone comes in with 50M ill gladly pack his bags for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

he hasnt ever come across as the type of player that is fully enchanted with the club though and seems to be someone who is keen to return to London in all honesty. I cant see him moving abroad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Here is the full interview & the 5 live special about it.

In an exclusive interview with BBC Sport Raheem Sterling explain's why he has turned down a new £100,000-a-week deal with Liverpool. 5 live Sport presenter Kelly Cates is joined by fleet street's finest in the form of Henry Winter, Sam Wallace & Neil Ashton to dissect the interview, and discuss what the future holds for the young England forward.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/5lfd/5lfd_20150401-2059a.mp3

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just watched the interview. The following was repeated constantly "I just want to reach my dreams". Why in the name of f*cking baby jesús did the interviewer not as what these 'dreams' are.

He obvioulsy is not happy at wing back.
    He wants to see who we are signing this summer. He talks about Suarez and Gerrard gone and that they are "World Class" (f*cking hate that term) players.
    He nearly lets it slip that he wants to play abroad someday.
    He also mentions playing for us next year.
    He is flattered by a big club like Arsenal looking at him.
    He thinks LFC is a great club for young players learning.....I reckon he thinks he is past that stage now.

The point of the interview was to say that he wants to wait until the end of the season to think about contracts. That is fair enough.
    If I was in a company who's plans and my ambitions changed annually, I'd like to see what is ahead as well before committing to a new contract.
    I'd also like to dip my toes in the water and see what else is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

On Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sure if we sell him who should we get in ?

I'd be delighted with lacazette, pjanic and Walcott.

Wilshere, Walcott and The Ox in a swap deal for Sterling.

They can keep Sturridge company in rehab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Charlie19 wrote: »

Question at the end of that article.... 'what should Liverpool do with Sterling'?

Sell him - 83%
    Pay him - 17%

Fans dont like this bull****. What a ****ing tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ricero wrote: »

Take the first two, Walcott is just too much of a sicknote when Jordon Ibe seems to be tank like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

D'Agger wrote: »
    chuck-norris-thumbs-up-dodgeball-gif.gif

Glad you got your thanks with the chuck Norris gif.

You can criticise without been bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Wilshere, Walcott and The Ox in a swap deal for Sterling.

They can keep Sturridge company in rehab.
    Turty will get a semi....

551d227326a10.PNG

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Question at the end of that article.... 'what should Liverpool do with Sterling'?

Sell him - 83%
    Pay him - 17%

The interviewer is putting a negative slant towards Liverpool and BR even the fans and ex players. BR is talking about your contract in the press, he's not playing you where your comfortable, what about fans who say your greedy, what would you say to Carra etc etc

Obviously its a PR spin for Raheem but i cant imagine many fans being happy with it. Raheem is actually not saying anything definitive or "wrong" really but the whole thing will turn fans against him.

What was the point of the interview? More money or a push for a move. Either way fans dont want to hear about this so no wonder there's a negative reaction to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sturridge in full training, looks to be fit.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Sell him - 83%
    Pay him - 17%

In fairness, I am sure opposition fans love the idea of facing us without him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

By not owing the club anything seems to mean not even informing the club about an interview with the BBC where transfer talk gets discussed.

He's put the club in a tough situation now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Sturridge in full training, looks to be fit.

For the next 4.6 games :pac:

ricero wrote: »

If we can't keep hold of Sterling no chance we'd get those players. I'd say between them you'd be looking at 400k a week anyhow or close to it, never mind the ~70m in transfer fees.

If we can't keep hold of Sterling no chance we'd get those players. I'd say between them you'd be looking at 400k a week anyhow or close to it, never mind the ~70m in transfer fees.

More than likely Markovic and Ibe will be given more gametime up front.

£$€50m for Sterling along with his pay rise to £150k a week then add on Gerrard's & Johnson's wages we might just get that done :P

£$€50m for Sterling along with his pay rise to £150k a week then add on Gerrard's & Johnson's wages we might just get that done :P

Even if the financials worked (which they probably would in fairness if we sold Sterling), no way we'd convince them to sign though, the first 2 especially. If fit Walcott can be very good, but he has had a lot of problems lately which is never good for someone who has relied a lot on pace, and his wages would probably be astronomical anyhow if we were to sign him.

I think this sort of thing shows why (and its very unhip to say this) its best to grow your own players, had Sterling been at the club since he was 8/9 then he'd not being making any fuss at all and would sign any deal that felt right. I just hope that if Sterling is booted out the others coming in behind him Ibe, Ojo, Wilson, Canos, Kent, Sinclair, Rossitter etc don't think they can boss the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I haven't had time to watch the interview yet, still at work. Just for clarification, int he interview does Sterling actually talk about playing for Liverpool next season?

Presser its mainly about you know who!
    Rodgers on Skrtel and Lallana: "I'm very disappointed our appeal wasn't successful because I felt it was unjust. Lallana will be hopefully be available for the weekend."
    Rodgers: "Any talks with Raheem will be within and there's enough people to encourage him to want to be here."
    Rodgers: "The performance level has been outstanding. I've got a group of players who are very honest and committed but also very young and still learning.

"We respect Arsenal but they know we can hurt them."
    Rodgers: "Our possession wasn't good enough in the last game. We were never in position to receive the ball and to press the ball. We need to be technically better.

"We will go there tactically very clear. We need to get something from the game."
    Rodgers on Sterling interview: "There was no permission from the club. It surprised us all. But he's a young player who is still learning."
    Rodgers: "For Raheem, it's purely about the football. What the kid is trying to do is put off talk about him being all about money."
    Rodgers: "Raheem is not going anywhere this summer."
    As a club we've shown that (money doesn't come into it). If the club doesn't want to sell, it won't sell."
    Rodgers confirms that Daniel Sturridge has trained today and should be fine for Arsenal game on Saturday
    Rodgers: "I'm quite relaxed on it. It's part of the modern game. Raheem still has a lot of improvements to make. This is great place for him
    Rodgers: "Raheem's ambition is to win trophies and that's perfectly aligned with what we're trying to do. This is one of the great clubs."
    Rodgers on Sterling: "Focus is purely on his football.That's my only concentration.I said intention of player and club was to put it on hold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

tbh, it seems as though the club have been handling this as well as we could hope for.

fair money is on the table, Sterling still has tons to improve on, Liverpool is the best place to do that, and he should honestly be happy to sign if Liverpool is the city he wants to be in.

Coutinho is happy isn't he? he's done as much in the last 12 months tbh, as exciting as Sterling is.

so i'm still convinced it's more a London thing than anything.

at 20, speaking about 'needing to fulfill dreams' and being 'all about winning trophies' when we came 2nd last year, are still in the FA Cup this year, and have a talented young squad, is a bit rich unless he's just using it (probably prompted by his agent) as an excuse to look for a way out.

this sort of thing happens in business. it shouldn't be something we're surprised at.

if I left for Galway, worked my way to a decent standard at my job, then was offered the chance to come home to Dublin to a job at an equal, if not slightly more successful company, for the same amount of money, I wouldn't be thinking about loyalty to the company in Galway.

the summer will tell all.

Presser its mainly about you know who!

I noticed you followed through on your promise of taking that question to the grauniad.

On the London thing, while he probably considers it his home, it seems to me like his life has been split like this:

Jamaica 6 years
    London 9 years
    Liverpool 5 years

It's not like he is London through and through, but sadly non footballing factors are playing their part here for sure. I still think he'll end up signing a new deal in the summer though.

I noticed you followed through on your promise of taking that question to the grauniad.

Which question is that (sorry for sounding dense)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

SlickRic wrote: »
    tbh, it seems as though the club have been handling this as well as we could hope for.

fair money is on the table, Sterling still has tons to improve on, Liverpool is the best place to do that, and he should honestly be happy to sign if Liverpool is the city he wants to be in.

Coutinho is happy isn't he? he's done as much in the last 12 months tbh, as exciting as Sterling is.

at 20, speaking about 'needing to fulfill dreams' and being 'all about winning trophies' when we came 2nd last year, are in the semis of the FA Cup this year, and have a talented young squad, is a bit rich unless he's just using it (probably prompted by his agent) as an excuse to look for a way out.

this sort of thing happens in business. it shouldn't be something we're surprised at.

if I left for Galway, worked my way to a decent standard at my job, then was offered the chance to come home to Dublin to a job at an equal, if not slightly more successful company, for the same amount of money, I wouldn't be thinking about loyalty to the company in Galway.

Not yet mate.

A nugget about one of the Jordan Family -
    Bolton Wanderers FC @OfficialBWFC · 5h5 hours ago

NL: We might not see Jordan Lussey in the first team this year. Iain has brought him for the Dev Squad. He's one for the future

So is that Lussey on loan for all next season or a permanent deal when his contract expires, anyone know when that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gafferino wrote: »
    Not yet mate.

Ha, whoops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Which question is that (sorry for sounding dense)?

Impersonater or just bad memory?
    “Have any players had careers which saw them progress through and then return to several clubs in palindromic fashion ending where they started?” wonders @Mike65ie on Twitter.

Impersonater or just bad memory?

th?id=HN.607997447837648920&pid=1.7

SlickRic wrote: »

at 20, speaking about 'needing to fulfill dreams' and being 'all about winning trophies' when we came 2nd last year, are still in the FA Cup this year, and have a talented young squad, is a bit rich unless he's just using it (probably prompted by his agent) as an excuse to look for a way out.

Coutinho recognises he needs to improve and he also has the experience of been a young player at a big European club which has no interest in youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Has sterling actually came out and said hes not happy being played out of position or are people just assuming that? Just wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

11110207_10153345257027573_4857755416301445598_n.jpg?oh=1027a3ac41feddf5fd884c7f0f2be347&oe=55A7EDF9

Well, someone looks ok...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

T-K-O wrote: »
    I stopped reading at, he's only worked 4 years in his life, you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

John Henry has already shown he will play hard ball and it worked with Suarez, we would have received a record fee if not for his antics at the WC

Stop reading whenever you like, that is indeed the best way to remain poorly informed.

I look forward to referring back to your post after John Henry has played hardball with Sterling and shown him who's boss :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Has sterling actually came out and said hes not happy being played out of position or are people just assuming that? Just wondering

In the interview he talks about how he wants to play up front, that its what he trains for.
    He talks about not being used to defending, but he'll play anywhere for the team.

Take from that what you will, but it all sounds like he just want to play up top....he even talks about how great it is playing for England as he plays up front and has freedom.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In the interview he talks about how he wants to play up front, that its what he trains for.
    He talks about not being used to defending, but he'll play anywhere for the team.

Take from that what you will, but it all sounds like he just want to play up top....he even talks about how great it is playing for England as he plays up front and has freedom.

That's Chelsea out so, Mourinho sucks the attacking instinct out his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

That's Chelsea out so, Mourinho sucks the attacking instinct out his players.

Watch what happens to cuadrado

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Glad you got your thanks with the chuck Norris gif.

You can criticise without been bitter.
    Oh yeah, I'll take those two thumbs up to the boards bank Rob, there'll be a feast in the D'Agger household tonight. Let's not dance around it, I made that post to highlight without using words, how idiotic a post it was.

Rattling off a ream of bullshít about how Sterling is destined for a life at Stoke, that he's being advised by morons & performing lazily of late...then claiming not to be bitter, give over ffs, you're not being critical because criticism contains substance or an actual point that can be derived from it, all you've done is thrown out a bit of abuse at a player based entirely on fúck all other than your unhappiness at his percieved desire to leave the club you support

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement