Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Watch what happens to cuadrado

The way Chelsea manage it they'll probably not play him much, then sell him next summer for 60m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, people on here saying "He owe's us nothing". Where does this come from? He's in contract.
    He owes us his honest effort in training and matches over the duration of the contract. Nothing else.

On the flip side the club owes Sterling circa £3.6m for the remainder of his contract.

5starpool wrote: »
    Generally if a club gets the offer they agree is acceptable and the player really wants to leave (like Suarez last summer) then however reluctantly, the deal is usually done. If the club value him at £40m (for example) and offers are all around 20-25m then it is very reasonable for the club to refuse to sell.
    and it is very reasonable for the player to run down his contract and leave for free or very little compensation. If the choice really is accept £25m when you value him at £40m and you have other/better options you decline the £25m offer but the reality (in your example) is the club might value him at £40m but have to accept an offer of £25m (or £15m) if the alternative is £0 in two years + £3.6m in wages to a demotivated player over that two year period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The TAW lads were saying that Sterling was getting a very hard time from sections of the crowd during the Man Utd game..."150 grand a week? You're having a laugh" etc and I imagine his advisers told him an interview would be a good PR exercise.

Well it's backfired fairly spectacularly and I'd say the next home game(can't remember who that's against) is gonna be pretty ugly for him.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just watched the interview. The following was repeated constantly "I just want to reach my dreams". Why in the name of f*cking baby jesús did the interviewer not as what these 'dreams' are.

He obvioulsy is not happy at wing back.
    He wants to see who we are signing this summer. He talks about Suarez and Gerrard gone and that they are "World Class" (f*cking hate that term) players.
    He nearly lets it slip that he wants to play abroad someday.
    He also mentions playing for us next year.
    He is flattered by a big club like Arsenal looking at him.
    He thinks LFC is a great club for young players learning.....I reckon he thinks he is past that stage now.

The point of the interview was to say that he wants to wait until the end of the season to think about contracts. That is fair enough.
    If I was in a company who's plans and my ambitions changed annually, I'd like to see what is ahead as well before committing to a new contract.
    I'd also like to dip my toes in the water and see what else is available.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If a €50M+ bid came in during the summer, we should take it.

If the player doesn't feel valued at the club, or that ambition is being matched, we should try to get maximum value from him.

He's being poorly advised. If his intention is to actually wait it out until the summer, where are all the media stories coming from? His own interview should pave the way to get rid of him.

He's not that bloody good. Not as good as Gerrard, Torres, Suarez league anyway.

I think this sort of thing shows why (and its very unhip to say this) its best to grow your own players, had Sterling been at the club since he was 8/9 then he'd not being making any fuss at all and would sign any deal that felt right.
    Too true. I bet Flanno would be prepared to sacrifice some of his potential earnings elsewhere in order to keep playing for LFC. The doesn't fly for players not Liverpool born and bred though.
    I just hope that if Sterling is booted out the others coming in behind him Ibe, Ojo, Wilson, Canos, Kent, Sinclair, Rossitter etc don't think they can boss the club.
    It would be a nice side effect all right but first and foremost Sterling would have to be booted out on terms he wasn't happy with i.e. we sell him for £50m to some Russian club. That's not going to happen though is it? If he leaves it will be to a club of his choosing and we'll take whatever transfer fee that club wants to pay otherwise we face getting a big fat £0.

If Sterling walks away on his terms we can't pretend we booted him out and the guys coming through like Ibe etc will know (like they don't already) that should they get a sniff of a move they want to make to earn more, be closer to home or be at a club with better prospects of silverware/CL every year they will be holding all the cards just like Sterling is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

D'Agger wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I'll take those two thumbs up to the boards bank Rob, there'll be a feast in the D'Agger household tonight. Let's not dance around it, I made that post to highlight without using words, how idiotic a post it was.

Rattling off a ream of bullshít about how Sterling is destined for a life at Stoke, that he's being advised by morons & performing lazily of late...then claiming not to be bitter, give over ffs, you're not being critical because criticism contains substance or an actual point that can be derived from it, all you've done is thrown out a bit of abuse at a player based entirely on fúck all other than your unhappiness at his percieved desire to leave the club you support

How this for a point so?

He is been advised badly, young British talent going to a club like City and not been developed properly. If you flop you will end up at a midtable club is all I was saying.

Adam Johnson - Middlesborough to Man City - Now plays at Sunderland
    Scott Sinclair - Swansea to Man City - Now plays for Villa
    Jack Rodwell - Everton to Man City - Now play for Sunderland.

Johnson and Rodwell were both highly regarded at the time.

There is examples of young foreign players too coming into big clubs for big money and ending up been sold on to much lesser sides e.g Lukaku from Chelsea to Everton.

Sterling is at a big club, has a manger that believes in him, is given regular first team football and will be made one of the top earners at the club.

zAbbo wrote: »
    If a €50M+ bid came in during the summer, we should take it.
    100%. He's young and there is still a good chance he won't actually fulfil the potential he has shown on a consistent basis year after year.
    If the player doesn't feel valued at the club, or that ambition is being matched, we should try to get maximum value from him
    100%
    He's being poorly advised. If his intention is to actually wait it out until the summer, where are all the media stories coming from? His own interview should pave the way to get rid of him.
    He may well regret his interview in time but the club are equally as guilty. They have been applying pressure by stating on several occasions that they expected his contract to be wrapped up shortly. Putting that public pressure on him has led to all this speculation and has backfired on the club as he clearly has called their bluff and is prepared to hold out until the summer and possibly longer if necessary.

rob316 wrote: »
    Sterling is at a big club, has a manger that believes in him, is given regular first team football and will be made one of the top earners at the club.

The bit in bold is the fly in the ointment Rob. What has the wage structure at LFC got to do with the maximum he could be earning? I'm sure Sterling knows and appreciates he is at a great club who will carefully nurture his development and has a manager who will back him etc but what exactly are those intangible elements in the equation actually worth? LFC, by proposing to pay him £50,000 a week less than he believes he can get elsewhere (if reports are to be believed) are putting a value of £13m over five years on that intangible support structure and Sterling clearly doesn't think it worth anything close to £13m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Do people reckon sterling would go for 50 mil? If he's anywhere near that price you needn't worry about him moving over to us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sorry, but those players are not fit to tie Sterling's shoelaces. Never were, never will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The TAW lads were saying that Sterling was getting a very hard time from sections of the crowd during the Man Utd game..."150 grand a week? You're having a laugh" etc and I imagine his advisers told him an interview would be a good PR exercise.

Well it's backfired fairly spectacularly and I'd say the next home game(can't remember who that's against) is gonna be pretty ugly for him.

Next home game will be the Hillsborough match and a Monday night game V Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

BenEadir wrote: »
    The bit in bold is the fly in the ointment Rob. What has the wage structure at LFC got to do with the maximum he could be earning? I'm sure Sterling knows and appreciates he is at a great club who will carefully nurture his development and has a manager who will back him etc but what exactly are those intangible elements in the equation actually worth? LFC, by proposing to pay him £50,000 a week less than he believes he can get elsewhere (if reports are to be believed) are putting a value of £13m over five years on that intangible support structure and Sterling clearly doesn't think it worth anything close to £13m.

Chelsea/City aren't stupid they might stump up the £50m fee but they will not put him on 50k more than Liverpool would. Say Liverpool offer him take it or leave it 120k per week, the other will not pay a 20 year old 170k per week.

Mourinho wanted Shaw but baulked at the wages he was commanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

How this for a point so?

Look at the difference here - these guys came from mid table clubs and went back to midtable clubs.

What are your examples of young players from big clubs moving to big clubs or are you saying Liverpool are a midtable club?

Also, Sterling is a regular and key international player at 20 - none of the above were even playing consistent international ball

Chelsea/City aren't stupid they might stump up the £50m fee but they will not put him on 50k more than Liverpool would. Say Liverpool offer him take it or leave it 120k per week, the other will not pay a 20 year old 170k per week.

If Sterlings agent is worth anything he'll have quite an easy time securing £150,000 a week for his client particularly if a club is prepared to pay £50m in transfer fees for him. How could any club confirm they believe you to be one of the most valuable players in the richest league in the world (a £50m transfer fee would be joint 2nd highest ever) and not reflect that value in the wages they are prepared to pay you? With the exception of players joining on a Bosman the most expensive players get the biggest wages or am I living on a different planet?
    And we do always believe what Mourinho says right? Isn't he the same guy who paid Salah £45,000 a week (£10,000 a week more than we were offering IIRC) and never played him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Im not particularly sure what sterling was hoping to do with the interview, i mean he has not much leverage in negotiations as he has over 2 years left on his current deal but whatever, poorly advised from his agent i would imagine.
    I cannot see chelsea buying him this summer atleast, arsenal likewise given their most expsnive signing is ozil at 42 million, could easily commend such a fee plus arsenal are quite meticulous with wages (wasent podolski their first ever player to earn over 100k a week?)
    That leaves city who i think are the only club who need/will come in for him and we can take them to the cleaners on such a deal.

All in all, im not arsed with it tbh, club is dealing with it well and is dead right to not immediately bow over to a 20year old asking for 150k (or whatever the figure is) inb4 no ambition etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

My feeling is that Sterling will end up signing a new contract sometime during the Summer. However I very much doubt he's someone that will be at the club long-term. He might sign a new contract and leave in 2 or 3 years time anyway when he'll still be a young man. If he does that then fair enough. Liverpool will make a bomb on him and hopefully Ibe and the younger lads like Sinclair, Ojo, Wilson, etc, will be arriving into the first team by then.

And then the drama begins again.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Sterling is trying to get a move to a club like Arsenal, City or Chelsea then I'd imagine his agent already has a fair idea on the type of package that will be available to pay his client by one or more of these clubs who have made their interest known. If not this would be foolish in the extreme, and I doubt there are a lot of fools in the finance end of things.

People here saying their teams don't need/want him or wages won't be paid, etc are just guessing as much as everyone else. I think though that this flirting is not being done with no provocation, that's fairly certain, much as Suarez was doing the same type of stuff a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

BenEadir wrote: »
    Stop reading whenever you like, that is indeed the best way to remain poorly informed.

I look forward to referring back to your post after John Henry has played hardball with Sterling and shown him who's boss :o

Every forum has a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

His speed and attacking prowess lacks capacity to excel in a wing back role
    His attitude in that role coupled with his inability to master it causes trouble

Definitely looking forward to an actual game and discussion soon.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Every forum has a few
    Oooohh ;)

I would play like this

_______________Minger________

_______CanCan__Skittles__Sicko

______________Joey_________

__________Jodan____StevyG___

_______________Cunty_________

RaheemSupreme________SturFry______

_____________BaloTelly___________

Kill em that way. No wingbacks. JoeyJoJo needs to fill those gaps, drop in either side depending on where we are being attacked.

BaloTelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

I would play like this

_______________Minger________

_______CanCan__Skittles__Sicko

______________Joey_________

__________Jodan____StevyG___

_______________Cunty_________

RaheemSupreme________SturFry______

_____________BaloTelly___________

Kill em that way. No wingbacks. JoeyJoJo needs to fill those gaps, drop in either side depending on where we are being attacked.

If you are talking about the Arsenal game then two of them are suspended

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

5starpool wrote: »
    If Sterling is trying to get a move to a club like Arsenal, City or Chelsea then I'd imagine his agent already has a fair idea on the type of package that will be available to pay his client by one or more of these clubs who have made their interest known. If not this would be foolish in the extreme, and I doubt there are a lot of fools in the finance end of things.

People here saying their teams don't need/want him or wages won't be paid, etc are just guessing as much as everyone else. I think though that this flirting is not being done with no provocation, that's fairly certain, much as Suarez was doing the same type of stuff a couple of years ago.

HIs agent is showing his incompetence by arranging an interview with the BBC that was unsanctioned by the club.
    I doubt the agent has done much research and just alot of guesswork.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

We have some spots going on our bus for the QPR game, for more info see http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25172

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ha, any evidence at all that Shaw was "commanding" anything? City will probably be dropping a lot of players this summer and I think Sterling's age would be irrelevant to any deal, 50m would be an outrageous number to spend on him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

City could lose up to 5 home grown players this Summer (Richards, Sinclair, Milner, Wright ?:confused: and Lampard) They'll undoubtably be looking for some English players. This'll drive Sterlings price significantly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

City could lose up to 5 home grown players this Summer (Richards, Sinclair, Milner, Wright ?:confused: and Lampard) They'll undoubtably be looking for some English players. This'll drive Sterlings price significantly

I'd be more worried about them going after Henderson who hasn't signed his contract and only has a year left.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    HIs agent is showing his incompetence by arranging an interview with the BBC that was unsanctioned by the club.
    I doubt the agent has done much research and just alot of guesswork.

Sterling is actually represented by a pretty experienced and successful agency - http://impact-sports.com/about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is a link to the players who share the same agency as Sterling.

Some impressive player including Hazard & Yaya Toure

http://www.transfermarkt.com/ungeklart/beraterfirma/berater/946

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There's only one thing worse than an agent - a super agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wouldn't be getting overly worried about sterling. The club won't sell unless they get a crazy fee and 50 million for sterling is too good to turn down. If there is no crazy bid it puts sterling in an awkward situation as he will be foregoing at least 65k a week till the summer of 2016 if he refuses to sign a new contract . Come 2016 then the club will have to sell if no contract has been signed so there is no urgency here. I reckon he will sign a new contract in the summer with a minimum release fee and will be sold in a few years if he turns into the type of player he thinks he will. He must have roomed with Rooney on international duty to get contract negotiating advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

As far as I am aware only 5 players at Chelsea get over 100k a week, Courtois, Terry, Hazard, Fabregas, Costa

Suggesting Sterling would break into that group is head in the clouds stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

As far as I am aware only 5 players at Chelsea get over 100k a week, Courtois, Terry, Hazard, Fabregas, Costa

I don't think Chelsea are bothered with him BUT if they were it's definitely NOT head in the cloud stuff. It's pricey but not outrageous considering the hype around the player and the club in question.

Dub13 wrote: »
    We have some spots going on our bus for the QPR game, for more info see http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25172

http://download.lardlad.com/sounds/season10/cruddy15.mp3

I wouldn't be getting overly worried about sterling. The club won't sell unless they get a crazy fee and 50 million for sterling is too good to turn down. If there is no crazy bid it puts sterling in an awkward situation as he will be foregoing at least 65k a week till the summer of 2016 if he refuses to sign a new contract . Come 2016 then the club will have to sell if no contract has been signed so there is no urgency here. I reckon he will sign a new contract in the summer with a minimum release fee and will be sold in a few years if he turns into the type of player he thinks he will. He must have roomed with Rooney on international duty to get contract negotiating advice.

He certainly got bad advice. No doubt from this agent. Having an interview was just brainless stuff and naive

The club are holding the cards here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wise words from Kolo. Who i hope is still there next season a great charactar & still a good CB

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/toure-tells-sterling-you-need-8974911#ICID=sharebar_twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Kolo... Kolo, Kolo

Man Utd were willing to pay Luke Shaw 100k a week lol.
    So of course any big club would pay Sterling over 100k a week especially after winning the Golden Boy Award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

MD1990 wrote: »
    So of course any big club would pay Sterling over 100k a week especially after winning the Golden Boy Award.

Chelsea wouldn't, City and United would. Not sure about Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You should sell him and buy Anderson, replace one Golden Boy winner with another, sell Balotelli for £50m too, people will obviously pay that when they see his Golden Boy trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So were Liverpool as far as I remember lol??

Have you anymore United players you can drag into this discussion ?

Hold on I'll save you the trouble
    MD1990 wrote:
    Sturridge is a better player than Mata.

Lol
    MD1990 wrote:
    yes but Mata is slow so isn't that effective as he cant stay with anyone that has pace

Double lol
    MD1990 wrote:
    Sturridge is England's best striker..

Biggest lol of the bunch

RasTa wrote: »
    Chelsea wouldn't, City and United would. Not sure about Arsenal.
    so you think Chelsea wouldn't pay Sterling over 100k with the new tv deal & there lack of English players. A year ago some Man Utd fans though Januzaj was a better player than Sterling so that shows how deluded some of them are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

so you think Chelsea wouldn't pay Sterling over 100k with the new tv deal & there lack of English players. A year ago some Man Utd fans though Januzaj was a better player than Sterling so that shows how deluded some of them are.

Yeah pretty obvious no since they wouldn't meet Shaw's demands? Not sure how that is delusion. Please explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think we'd pay the transfer fee for Sterling. 100K to the big boys isnt all that expensive but when mental figures of 50-60m are thrown around thats when you take a few steps back.

• Advertisement

So were Liverpool as far as I remember lol??

Have you anymore United players you can drag into this discussion ?

Hold on I'll save you the trouble

Lol

Double lol

Biggest lol of the bunch
    Easy to dismiss my points when Sturridge isn't fully fit & off form.
    Mata is still slow & yes he scored a few great goals doesn't change the fact Mouinho & even Van Gaal don't fully trust him also can't make the Spain squad. Would still take Sturridge over Mata.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement