Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

jonny666 wrote: »
    Sanchez wouldnt have sorted out that awful defense

You need to learn how the dynamics of the game work - if you are attacking and scoring the amount of time you need to defend is cut hugely and the type of attacks by the opposition and the nature of the response to same is altered massively.

Simply put in most games if you score first you force the opposition to do what you want them to, if they score first you are at their tactical mercy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

You need to learn how the dynamics of the game work - if you are attacking and scoring the amount of time you need to defend is cut hugely and the type of attacks by the opposition and the nature of the response to same is altered massively.

Simply put if you score first you force the opposition to do what you want them to, if they score first you are at their tactical mercy.

and if you have a defense who look like they cant play football it doesnt matter who you have up front. Liverpool have more problems then missing a Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

tastyt wrote: »
    Go get benteke and Danny ings during the summer lads.

Oh and Ashley Williams.

surely should be looking at Austin as well... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Kirby wrote: »
    All true. But don't worry, next year is the year!

Lame.

You're gonna have to try harder than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

and if you have a defense who look like they cant play football it doesnt matter who you have up front. Liverpool have more problems then missing a Sanchez

Surely Liverpool last year, United and Arsenal this year show that a quality attack can make up for a poor defence. Even with five or six of our attackers around the opposition box we don't look like scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Defence was awful yesterday but have been generally solid since Christmas. We also missed skrtel hugely in the middle of the defence.

We need to spend the big bucks on a world class forward. Our lack of goals is sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lame.

You're gonna have to try harder than that.

There is no try.

One thing that's becoming endemic is the slow start, since the City game its happened every time.

Football is a simple game and you need to do just two things well - pace and accuracy. Nearly everything follows from them.

There is no try.

Yeah. Sure :rolleyes:

You could see yesterday Sterling getting frustrated after closing down a defender only to turn around and seeing no one else following up on the other defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The team is a laughing stock full of mediocre to poor players with our leader leaving and our best player undecided if he wants to stay. The strikers are made up of a cripple, clown, old man and a guy who's not wanted. The league has been a disaster, the European campaigns have been shocking and now everyone is hoping the season can be saved by winning a cup that doesn't hold the same magic it once did. Millions have been wasted on transfers, opposition teams know how easy it is to play against us, the manager is clueless when we go a goal down (he will put on a sub at the hour mark) and Joe Allen is a regular in the starting XL. This season has been a massive massive disaster and a wake up call to the owners, they need a manager who can compete with the big teams in the premiership and in Europe, Brendan Rodgers is not that man.

Worst post I've read on here in a while... Joe Allen has not been a regular when everyone is fit during his time at the club. And rosgers has shown multiple times a willingness to change his team at half time.

mav79 wrote: »
    Surely Liverpool last year, United and Arsenal this year show that a quality attack can make up for a poor defence. Even with five or six of our attackers around the opposition box we don't look like scoring.

Oh an attacker is most definitely needed but I would be very worried about the way the defense went about their business yesterday. Arsenal didnt even put that much pressure on them. It wasnt all Kolo either.

Oh an attacker is most definitely needed but I would be very worried about the way the defense went about their business yesterday. Arsenal didnt even put that much pressure on them. It wasnt all Kolo either.

I thought Kolo and Sakho did all they could with a shambles around them. I don't think there is a need for Moreno to be so far forward constantly, he has pace to get into space so his starting position does not need to be in the opposition half. Once Sakho gets dragged out to cover for Moreno we are always in trouble in the centre.

You could see yesterday Sterling getting frustrated after closing down a defender only to turn around and seeing no one else following up on the other defenders.

Sturridge is particularly poor in this regard.
    I thought Kolo and Sakho did all they could with a shambles around them. I don't think there is a need for Moreno to be so far forward constantly, he has pace to get into space so his starting position does not need to be in the opposition half. Once Sakho gets dragged out to cover for Moreno we are always in trouble in the centre.

Indeed it why I Dick advocate a return to four at the back, the whole wingback thing has been worked out and isn't functioning very well on its own account anyway.

No need to take everything so seriously. The whole "Our year!" thing is fairly self referential at this stage. I've heard more Liverpool fans say it than rival fans at this stage. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sturridge is particularly poor in this regard.

Indeed it why I Dick advocate a return to four at the back, the whole wingback thing has been worked out and isn't functioning very well on its own account anyway.
    Take a bow.

[QUOTE=Harry Palmr;94966964
    Indeed it why I Dick advocate a return to four at the back, the whole wingback thing has been worked out and isn't functioning very well on its own account anyway.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see us go back to the diamond with two up top for a few games and see how it works out.

In fairness Moreno was the root cause of a lot of Liverpools problems yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Careful now...he'll be talking about you in the Arsenal thread if you keep that up.

• Advertisement

No need to take everything so seriously. The whole "Our year!" thing is fairly self referential at this stage. I've heard more Liverpool fans say it than rival fans at this stage. :P

Yeah but when we say it it's self deprecating and funny ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I would love to see us go back to the diamond with two up top for a few games and see how it works out.

Same as I think the diamond would get the best out of our most influential players

Lucas
    -Henderson ---Coutinho
    Sterling

Sturridge----AN Other

That AN Other could even be Balotelli and I think this formation might actually see us get something out of him.
    It also gives us the option of changing things up a bit with both Can and Lallana easily fitting into the above

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Careful now...he'll be talking about you in the Arsenal thread if you keep that up.

I don't read the Arsenal thread...I see it as a colouring book in comparison to this threads War And Peace like scale.

I don't read the Arsenal thread...I see it as a colouring book in comparison to this threads War And Peace like scale.

I don't remember War and Peace having many Panda's in it......

Jungle Book would be a better description of this thread. For many reasons.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Same as I think the diamond would get the best out of our most influential players

Lucas
    -Henderson ---Coutinho
    Sterling

Sturridge----AN Other

That AN Other could even be Balotelli and I think this formation might actually see us get something out of him.
    It also gives us the option of changing things up a bit with both Can and Lallana easily fitting into the above

That would be my preferred line up. I always thought Couthino playing in the midfield trio suits him better than playing in the 10 role. Even Borini up front with Sturridge would just add more runs to divide defences rather than everyone dropping outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

4 at the back and 2 up front and the other 4 somewhere in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

[IMGhttp://balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/york.gif[/IMG]

Couldnt resist :)

Edit: balls didn't work on phone

Vicxas wrote: »
    york.gif

Couldnt resist :)

Edit: balls didn't work on phone

:pac:

Tiago Ilori starts his 6th game in the last 7 against bottom club Lens at 1 pm.

Ilori & Origi would be the right two players to send on loan to a club like Derby next season I think even on a loan till Christmas and review it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ilori & Origi would be the right two players to send on loan to a club like Derby next season I think even on a loan till Christmas and review it then.

Why would we loan out a player we paid £10m for without giving him a chance in a desperately poor strike force first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We have two defeats and suddenly we are bottom of the table material. Consistency is key thing I believe. We seem to go through stages of pressing the ball high up the pitch, not giving the opposition much time on ball, yesterday we done no such thing. We sat off Arsenal, letting them have it and relying on our last line of defense to break up play, that is asking for trouble.
    Sterling tried to defend from the front, closing down defenders, not giving them much time, forcing defender to knock it across back line, only for Sterling to look around and see NO ONE closing down that defender who just received the ball. That would drive anyone mad, Sterling was not to happy, Rodgers was not to happy and Cuntinho was not to happy. 3 frustrated people. Cuntinho also pressed, and carried the ball well, but had lil backup. I believe it's a mental thing, Rodgers needs to get point across that we press press press, regardless of where we play and who we play.
    I'm not saying go to Arsenal and bomb forward, I'm saying go there press, even in the middle of the field, break up play, don't sit off and drop deep. We played first 20 mins 3 feet from Mingolet.

PRESS
    TRACK
    PASS
    POSSESSION
    POSSESSION
    POSSESSION
    ATTACK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This race for 4th is a head bobber
    Everything changes over 4 games
    Next four games will tell a lot
    We must take our 12 pts next four
    Man U could lose next three
    Let us pray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

This race for 4th is a head bobber
    Everything changes over 4 games
    Next four games will tell a lot
    We must take our 12 pts next four
    Man U could lose next three
    Let us pray

Amen

m10.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

For us to get top 4 we realistically have to win all 7 and then hope that utd lose 3 of their last 7 games (or Arsenal to only get 11 points from 7, or City to only get 13 points from 8), which is possible but highly unlikely to happen. We are probably a 50/1 shot at this stage really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

5starpool wrote: »
    For us to get top 4 we realistically have to win all 7 and then hope that utd lose 3 of their last 7 games (or Arsenal to only get 11 points from 7, or City to only get 13 points from 8), which is possible but highly unlikely to happen. We are probably a 50/1 shot at this stage really.

Of all that. Utd loosing 3 is the most realistic but us winning all 7 is just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

might just work as yesterday were like pampers, shíte at the back and piss poor upfront..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why not start Sturridge. We love handicapping ourselves. Play that Lazar donkey instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

I've watched a lot of the games he's played this season and definitely think he will be starting next season. Would be perfect for Can's role in the back 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Aspas, Luis Enrique, Manquillo will be gone, Luis Alberto, etc. Moreno possibly.
    Seeing as he is already at Barca, i wouldn't be getting my hopes up about him leaving just yet:)

Manquillo and Moreno will be at Liverpool next season, both young and covering positions where the 'senior' players look likely to leave, Jose 'Luis' Enrique and Johnson.

• Advertisement

Just watched the 2nd half - the commentator said the Bordeaux back line was rather lucky not to have conceded in the first, they did in the 2nd but it was nothing to do with Ilori who one moment aside (a rather aimless ball up field that went straight to a Lens midfielder) he was an effective defender nothing fancy - headers, hit it first time clearances plus protecting the keeper when he came to pick up a loose forward ball. His height is definitely an advantage to him.

FT Bordeaux 2-1 Lens

Damien360 wrote: »
    Of all that. Utd loosing 3 is the most realistic but us winning all 7 is just silly.

It certainly is, and hence why we are out of it for (almost) sure.

It certainly is, and hence why we are out of it for (almost) sure.

Weirdly enough we are as low as 8/1 on exchanges for top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

rarnes1 wrote: »

Fools and their money

Fools and their money

Not necessarily, you can lay it too

Jaysis.

Jaysis.

Bet Victor has us at 5/1! They are a bookie so the fools and money applies here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

United have lost 2 of their last 26 league games and are looking far more settled and consistent now. I'd be surprised if they lost 3 of the last 7.

If I say "Burnley can do us a favour" they'll lose won't they? So Spurs will win this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Fools and their money
    Jaysis.

Probably about the right price. United have Chelsea, City and then Everton in the next three games. We have Newcastle, Hull and West Brom. It is still while a huge outside chance concievable we might be within touching distance after the next three games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement