Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

Same could be said of Arsenal's model but then we'd be saying Liverpool are a poor man's Arsenal, oh wait...

This doesn't make much sense unless I'm reading it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He got back into the team because Jones got injured and yes he did he was over analysing situations but it was taking with wife that helped figure it out not the manager or coaching staff.
    But, again, would that solution have happened if he was left in place in the team?

Being dropped forced his hand and made him confront the problem.

If he was left in the team, i don't think that analysis would have happened because it wouldn't have been seen by him as a huge problem. When he wasn't played, it became a problem and forced him to find a solution.

The problem isn't that Jones was played, rather it was the fact that Jones was so poor and had to be played regardless(picturing Jones diving the wrong way in united game, again:mad:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The following players have 1 year left on their contracts.

Martin Skrtel
    José Enrique
    Jordan Henderson
    Rickie Lamert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NukaCola wrote: »
    You cant blame BR for Gerrard and Borini getting red cards. Also Borini was put up for sale and not in the managers plans. BR has the right to choose his own team. That goes for Sakho Mignolet and Lovren also. Players get dropped, why are you viewing it as some kind of slight against them?

All but Gerrard are players Brendan Rodgers bought and paid alot of money for yes he is the manager and yes he has the right to pick the team and drop players all he wants it's his job on the line if results don't go his way.
    Lovren has been ****ing awful and he persisted with him way longer than Lovren deserved if anything. I agree with Jones coming in for Mig though. That was ridiculous, but others can argue that Mig came back stronger and better.

As I said Lovren's form has been terrible but he hasn't been treated fair either again the manager has the right to do it as above it's his job on the line.
    BR doesn't negotiate contracts so thats another unfair criticism. Has he dealt with it poorly in public? How exactly?

No he doesn't negotiate contracts and I'm not blaming him for this what I am saying instead of brushing off he talks way to much about them in public and then they become an issue.
    Something is wrong with the dressing room? Based on what? Seems a bit dramatic to be honest. 2 defeats in a row and all of a sudden we have a crisis.

Based on how many leaks are coming out of the dressing room as I said contracts, team sheets, ex players being the mouth pieces for current players, transfers being blamed on committees etc way too much is being made public for there not to me something wrong inside the dressing room.
    BR is not blameless. BR is not perfect. He's a young manager and is making mistakes but some of the above criticism seems like nit picking and looking for things that aren't there.

These thing are there that's the issue why is so much of what is you would hope would stay private being leaked.

That is the major concern and it is being played out in the media people will say it's only a rag of a paper but someone inside the club leaked it to a reporter it's not made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Why would anyone say that?
    Because I find Arsenal are getting run like a business and not a football club like the original post I quoted, only difference is we are more successful at doing it so hence you are a poor man's Arsenal!!

I obviously believe Arsenal as arguably the 2nd biggest club in England should be fighting for the title every season....and I mean proper fighting.

Based on how many leaks are coming out of the dressing room as I said contracts, team sheets, ex players being the mouth pieces for current players, transfers being blamed on committees etc way too much is being made public for there not to me something wrong inside the dressing room.

I agree,
    Liverpool's ex players always were an outlet for present players leaks/complaints.

But, again, would that solution have happened if he was left in place in the team?

Being dropped forced his hand and made him confront the problem.

If he was left in the team, i don't think that analysis would have happened because it wouldn't have been seen by him as a huge problem. When he wasn't played, it became a problem and forced him to find a solution.

The problem isn't that Jones was played, rather it was the fact that Jones was so poor and had to be played regardless(picturing Jones diving the wrong way in united game, again:mad:).

The problem isn't even Jones the problem is why the hell wasn't there a goalkeeper bought last summer to push Mignolet for his starting place a blind man and his dog could see Jones wasn't good enough.

Jones as a backup to a big club is embarrassing and the thing is he is there ages!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The following players have 1 year left on their contracts.

Martin Skrtel
    José Enrique
    Jordan Henderson
    Rickie Lamert

Skrtel and Hendo will sign, the former has not said a dicky bird which suggests he is relaxed enough, Hendo has already said he is staying and will do the deal in the summer. The other two would be expected to leave - Lambert was a few quid from joining Villa in January remember while Enrique is all but gone anyway! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The problem isn't even Jones the problem is why the hell wasn't there a goalkeeper bought last summer to push Mignolet for his starting place a blind man and his dog could see Jones wasn't good enough.

Aren't there rumours that BR wanted Vorn but the committee said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I agree Jones isn't good enough but the same could be argued with a lot of positions on the team. I imagine the position wasn't seen as a priority as our starter for the last number of seasons has played most of the games.

We were very short in numbers last year and had to bring in a large number of players to cater for an increased number of games. The club chose to invest in potential rather than proven performers and it can be argued that the proven performers were poorer signings than the potentially good signings.

As i said before, the last financial year was the first one the club made an operating profit on the business. With more of the higher earners being moved on this summer, that means there is more room for a better quality of signing so hopefully we will see some improvement in this area.

Regardless, it takes a number of years to build up a good squad/team, especially when the club don't have access to monopoly money to fire at players/clubs to do it any quicker.

I agree Jones isn't good enough but the same could be argued with a lot of positions on the team. I imagine the position wasn't seen as a priority as our starter for the last number of seasons has played most of the games.

We were very short in numbers last year and had to bring in a large number of players to cater for an increased number of games. The club chose to invest in potential rather than proven performers and it can be argued that the proven performers were poorer signings than the potentially good signings.

As i said before, the last financial year was the first one the club made an operating profit on the business. With more of the higher earners being moved on this summer, that means there is more room for a better quality of signing so hopefully we will see some improvement in this area.

Regardless, it takes a number of years to build up a good squad/team, especially when the club don't have access to monopoly money to fire at players/clubs to do it any quicker.

I have no problem buying potential and I understand that going forward without having Petrodollar to buy what you need this is the way you have to go. But for every 3/4 potential's you should buy at least 1 experienced player I think that these potential players need to grow themselves learning from the experienced players

There was no reason with all the money spent last summer the club couldn't have bought as young keeper that that would be on the level of a player like Jones but at 20/21 can grow as a player just being around a squad like Liverpool's Jones wasn't and isn't going to get any better.

The Guardian Football transfer rumours section taken from the Star.. Jordan Henderson to Chelsea?
    As if that weekend thrashing their team received at the hands of Arsenal and the unsettling hoo-ha regarding Raheem Sterling’s next move weren’t enough to have Liverpool fans weeping into their ale, the Daily Star’s splash that Jordan Henderson could be off to Chelsea may result in plenty more wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The small rectangular daily reports that the fragrant, perspiration free Reliant Robin-pushing midfielder, whose contract expires at the end of next season, has joined his fellow Nivea-shilling team-mate Sterling in turning down a new deal. Having become a vital cog in the Liverpool machine following a shaky start to his career at the club, the England international is reported to have declined a new contract worth £80,000 per week and the Star ominously declares that “more talks are planned but Chelsea are monitoring the situation closely”. If true, the prospect of playing Champions League football and possibly winning the Premier League while earning lots more money will surely appeal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/06/football-transfer-rumours

People need to have a Cup of Calm Down (I may register that idea).

Liverpool having lost two games are Officially in CRISIS :eek: as far as the scumbag media are concerned, it'll pass.

Or just stare at this.

btHwyKq.gif

• Advertisement

LOAN WATCH is back

Luis Alberto----Málaga - Unused Sub
    S. Ojo
    Wigan - Unused Sub
    J. Sinclair
    Wigan - Not in squad
    João Carlos----Brighton - full game in 0-1 defeat
    D. Origi
    Lille - 86 minutes in 3-1 win. Scored goal plus an assist (and missed peno!)
    J. Williams
    Notts - full game in 0-0 draw
    Tiago Ilori
    Bordeaux - full game in 2-1 win
    K. Stewart
    Burton Albion - full game and the only team goal in 1-1 away draw
    A. Wisdom
    West Bromwich - unused sub in 1-4 thrashing (maybe he'll get a game now!)
    S. Coates
    Sunderland - unused sub
    Iago Aspas----Sevilla - not in squad
    D. Ward
    Morecambe - Played full game in 1-1 draw with Accrington Stanley who's goal scorer was
    L. Jones
    Accrington - who played a full game scoring past Danny Ward of Morecombe! :p
    J. Lussey
    Bolton Wandrs - not in squad

Origi against Reims

To see Lloyd Jones shoot past his good friend Danny Ward skip to 2.45m

Kevin Stewarts lucky goal for Burton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Or just stare at this.

btHwyKq.gif

Swoon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Liverpool having lost two games are Officially in CRISIS :eek: as far as the scumbag media are concerned, it'll pass.

Ah now, come on, we have lost many games. The anger is cumulative, based on a full season, we don't get to pretend it's just the Utd/Arsenal disasters because they came after a good run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »
    Ah now, come on, we have lost many games. The anger is cumulative, based on a full season, we don't get to pretend it's just the Utd/Arsenal disasters because they came after a good run.

If you swapped out two wins in the recent run for two defeats at the start of the season would you feel better about it?

No one likes losing, so that's obviously going to put people on a downer for a few days, but the people setting the bar as being a top 4 finish at a minimum were living in fantasy land.

We've played to the standard you'd expect from this team this season. We've just been very streaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gbear wrote: »
    If you swapped out two wins in the recent run for two defeats at the start of the season would you feel better about it?

No one likes losing, so that's obviously going to put people on a downer for a few days, but the people setting the bar as being a top 4 finish at a minimum were living in fantasy land.

We've played to the standard you'd expect from this team this season. We've just been very streaky.

OK, finish second. Have cl football. 70m from Suarez.

From there, it was not unreasonable to set fourth as the target.

It became unrealistic, perhaps, when we supplemented Sturridge with Ballotelli and a rake of other inadequate signings but honestly, what better platform could we have had for a top four push at the start of last summer than the above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I think the 'and lose Suarez' part deserves at least a mention, no?

Another way to put it is that we lost our best player, arguably the 3rd best player in the world, who we had built our team around, and we were still expected to finish above at least one of Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Arsenal, all of whom have more expensive squads than we do, while also competing in the Champions League and at least one cup (as opposed to last year when we could focus on the league). Not to mention easing an ageing club legend who didn't understand why he was no longer first name on the team sheet out the door without upsetting anyone.

Even just demanding that we finish at least fourth while ignoring the CL and the cups was asking a lot, but I don't remember anyone saying that (me included to be honest).

There's a sense in which our 2nd place finish last year came to soon in this team's development. That will sound crazy to some people, and I'm not saying I regret what an amazing season we had, but it did raise expectations to unrealistic levels, and that can have bad consequences in the long run - the let-down when we don't meet them can lead to recriminations, and clubs that get carried away with unexpected success can end up over-spending on transfers and/or wages.

We've certainly made mistakes along the way - signing Balotelli instead of a more suitable striker the main one - but demanding fourth place as a minimum this season was unrealistic.

From there, it was not unreasonable to set fourth as the target.

As a target? No. But as a minimum expectation? Very unreasonable.

It's very simple.

There were 4 squads with better players than us to begin with who all spent as much as us or more than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

If fourth was an unrealistic goal after last season, when will it be a realistic goal seeing that Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal will be able to outspend us for the foreseeable future. We lost Suarez last summer but got quiet a bit of money to spend to try and replace him but failed spectacularly.
    The losses to United and Arsenal will not have cost us fourth it was the losses to the likes of Villa and Palace. The defeats to United and Arsenal were disappointing in the lackluster performances and the lack of ideas shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

mav79 wrote: »
    If fourth was an unrealistic goal after last season, when will it be a realistic goal seeing that Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal will be able to outspend us for the foreseeable future. We lost Suarez last summer but got quiet a bit of money to spend to try and replace him but failed spectacularly.
    The losses to United and Arsenal will not have cost us fourth it was the losses to the likes of Villa and Palace. The defeats to United and Arsenal were disappointing in the lackluster performances and the lack of ideas shown.

No one said it was unrealistic.

Where does this sense of entitlement come from some of our fans? You would swear we have been winning back to back leagues the past 5 years. The minute a bump in the road comes along, its time to sack whoevers in charge and hire someone new.

Being disappointed in the season is completely reasonable but I just don't understand how people think it will improve with a new manager. What manager could we get that has achieved more and fits the profile of a club looking to gradually build back up. Because thats what we are now whether people want to or not.

mav79 wrote: »

When they can't outspend us every year... why should it be a more realistic goal? What have we got that they haven't got that makes 4th something we should be expecting?!? The expectation should be that we challenge for it, and we have. Despite the shocking start to the season. Including an insane run of games post jan.

For Liverpool to get back in the CL places requires one of the biggest/richest four clubs in the land to underperform and for Liverpool to be the best of the rest. So two things are needed.

Oddly City could be the weakest link - I do foresee potential for a mini-meltdown there.

Given that half the current support base wasn't born or if born old enough to go to school when Liverpool last won the league it probably wise to just acknowledge LFCs place in the scheme of things. It doesn't mean being permanently shut out as all clubs wax and wane as we well know but for the foreseeable future its always going to be an uphill task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

5th, in reality, is where we should finish given the resources of all the respective clubs.

The problem is, last season's overachieving provided us with a platform to kick on, and actually try to compete consistently with the big boys.

We had a choice. We keep going, unwavering, in the moneyball model, or try to supplement it with at least some proven top quality.

We're paying the price now for very safe decision making.

If you wanted exclusively moneyball tactics in the transfer market, you cannot bitch and moan if we win nothing and finish 5th. Our current model dictates that that will be the norm, unless Rodgers actually is the incredible coach, every year, that the owners want him to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

SlickRic wrote: »
    5th, in reality, is where we should finish given the resources of all the respective clubs.

Did Liverpool not have more resources than Arsenal this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We don't need to outspend anyone we just need to spend it better.

Our most successful transfers have been young players on the fringes at big clubs. Buying established players from midtable clubs is a big problem for us the step up can be too much pressure for many Carroll, Adam, downing, Lambert, lovren and to a lesser extent lallana.

Southampton and west ham are 2 clubs that spent less than we did and did much better business than us this season. We should be shopping in the Dutch and German leagues more not the English one.

Buying proven pl is a myth all our most successful signings in the last 10 years have been foreign.

• Advertisement

Nope. Sanchrz chose them... We did spend more but we did that by selling the best player in the league. But you can continue to view it as a black and White issue of it suits...

rob316 wrote: »
    We don't need to outspend anyone we just need to spend it better.

Our most successful transfers have been young players on the fringes at big clubs. Buying established players from midtable clubs is a big problem for us the step up can be too much pressure for many Carroll, Adam, downing, Lambert, lovren and to a lesser extent lallana.

Southampton and west ham are 2 clubs that spent less than we did and did much better business than us this season. We should be shopping in the Dutch and German leagues more not the English one.

Buying proven pl is a myth all our most successful signings in the last 10 years have been foreign.

The myth is that West Ham spent better than us. I wouldn't want Valencia or sakho. The standards for being a good signing for West Ham and a good one for Liverpool is massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Nope. Sanchrz chose them... We did spend more but we did that by selling the best player in the league. But you can continue to view it as a black and White issue of it suits...

It was put in a black and white perspective in saying other teams had better resources. I merely asked a question. Now by resources I assume the poster meant financial resources. In which case, Liverpool had more. Just because Sanchez chose Arsenal that doesn't mean they had more resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    The myth is that West Ham spent better than us. I wouldn't want Valencia or sakho. The standards for being a good signing for West Ham and a good one for Liverpool is massive.

I'd have had them over Lambert, borini and Mario this season all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No Liverpool are 5th in revenue and 5th in wages and quite a bit behind the top 4 in both.

Yes Liverpool spent a lot of money last Summer but mainly funded by selling the best player in the league.

SlickRic wrote: »
    The problem is, last season's overachieving provided us with a platform to kick on, and actually try to compete consistently with the big boys.

It really didn't. We didn't get an extra 100m quid for finishing 4 places higher. It didn't make our squad a CL squad.

The platform was Luis Suarez.

One season in the CL doesn't get you much in the way of brownie points.

Players like Sanchez recognised that teams that have actually proved they're at CL level are a far safer bet than a flash in the pan like us. Maybe the London thing played a part, but if we'd even put a coherent challenge in for CL qualification the previous few seasons it would've made a bigger difference.
    People aren't interested in hopping on the roller-coaster and hoping they're around during one of the peaks.

In terms of actually looking like realistic targets, I'd argue that 3 or 4 seasons of finishing 5th would have a far bigger impact than one season of finishing 2nd. If we look stable and like we're progressing upwards consistently, we've at least some chance of getting a young superstar to take a chance on us for a few seasons.

Todays games

S. Ojo
    Wigan - bench
    João Carlos----Brighton - bench
    J. Williams
    Notts - bench
    K. Stewart
    Burton Albion - starts
    D. Ward
    Morecambe - starts
    L. Jones
    Accrington - starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Gbear wrote: »
    It really didn't. We didn't get an extra 100m quid for finishing 4 places higher. It didn't make our squad a CL squad.

The platform was Luis Suarez.

One season in the CL doesn't get you much in the way of brownie points.

Players like Sanchez recognised that teams that have actually proved they're at CL level are a far safer bet than a flash in the pan like us. Maybe the London thing played a part, but if we'd even put a coherent challenge in for CL qualification the previous few seasons it would've made a bigger difference.
    People aren't interested in hopping on the roller-coaster and hoping they're around during one of the peaks.

In terms of actually looking like realistic targets, I'd argue that 3 or 4 seasons of finishing 5th would have a far bigger impact than one season of finishing 2nd. If we look stable and like we're progressing upwards consistently, we've at least some chance of getting a young superstar to take a chance on us for a few seasons.

It's just two teams at different phases.

Arsenal were trying to buy players that were better than the one's they had.

Liverpool were trying to replace their best player.

There'll be 4 teams with better squads next season too. That excuse is lame tbh and it's one we could use every season.

It's up to the management to overcome this and spend money on the correct players.

If we had spent money on a decent striker I have no doubt we'd be better off than we are now.

Ballotelli and Lambert were brought in and Borini recalled. Talk about starting the season handicapped. Our best spell probably involved playing a non striker up front.

A keeper and at least 2 strikers are needed this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »
    There'll be 4 teams with better squads next season too. That excuse is lame tbh and it's one we can use every season.

It's up to the management to overcome this and spend money on the correct players.

If we had spent money on a decent striker I have no doubt we'd be better off than we are now.

Ballotelli and Lambert were brought in and Borini recalled. Talk about starting the season handicapped. Our best spell probably involved playing a non striker up front.

A keeper and at least 2 strikers are needed this summer.

Get the two strikers and ship out everyone that plays up front bar Sturrigde and you will see a much better team.
    Right now LFC can create the chances they just lack something big up front. Goals win games and LFC don't have enough goals in the team it's that simple.

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd have had them over Lambert, borini and Mario this season all day long.

This season maybe but last season id put lambert and even borinis performances up against them. The expectations are just so different.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    There'll be 4 teams with better squads next season too. That excuse is lame tbh and it's one we could use every season.

I don't see why its lame. What we're asking is for the manager and the club to overperform. Sometimes they will (last season) and sometimes they won't (this season). Until we can compete on an equal footing we won't consistently be able to maintain the kind of level that we as fans want.

If we unearth another Suarez then do you think the likes of Real etc won't come knocking? Do you think that its sustainable to continuously be a selling club while you have 4 main rivals that aren't and yet still compete every single year? Arsenal managed to stay in the top 4 while they were getting to that level but they were helped by the fact that at any one time there was only really 3 clubs above them. They even almost let spurs slip in a few times regardless.

The above doesn't mean we can't be disappointed in the summer signings and expect a bit more for the outlay we made but that still doesn't mean we should be expecting to out perform clubs that are just in a naturally better position to succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The manager seems very reluctant to bring in a defensive coach or us one, Having a player of Kolo standard there who is working his way through his coaching badges now it would be a shame not to use him in that coaching role when he isn't going to be playing much.
    Carragher wasn't offered a position on the coaching staff, no reason to expect Toure would be especially when Rodgers has repeatedly stated there's no need for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Terrace Talk: Liverpool: Brendan Rodgers putting square pegs in round holes
    Monday, April 06, 2015
    By Stephen Kelly

A centre-half that played his best football ten years ago but still gets picked before your 25-million signing.A midfield player who filled in well in defence so you’ve now left him there for three months.

Your captain, your ‘Steven Gerrard of the future’, shunted to the wing to accommodate Lucas after his two months off and one hour in a charity match fully prepared him for one of the toughest tests of the season.

A left wingback who honestly looks like he wouldn’t have the nous to open a bag of crisps. Joe freaking Allen.

A winger stroke forward stroke God knows what who plays in a different time zone to everyone else – plus some kid who thinks a few goals and dribbles makes him Messi.

Rodgers has the unfortunate knack of saying something stupid immediately before Fate knocks it out of the park. A couple of injuries and suspensions should not really leave any team this woeful however, and the real shame is that few expected it to be much different.

The Emirates is one of those dreadful places where Liverpool might just as well send the points in a registered envelope and use the week for recuperation and another bout of ‘add the zero to the contract’.

How dare this brat intimate we’re not big enough! We’re Liverpool, aren’t we? Doesn’t he know we’ve won one trophy (the least respected one) in nine years? That we’ve won three whole games in the Champions League in six years? Why, we’ve even nearly won the league in that time, so less of the sob story about lack of ambition and greatness if you please.

Sarcasm aside, it’s hardly likely to improve matters once everyone with a bit of talent heads for the lifeboat at the first sign of leakage.

Liverpool weren’t about to beat Arsenal anyway but the week’s subterfuges clearly didn’t help. Everyone knew knocking us out of the FA Cup last year wasn’t enough revenge for the 5-1.

Saturday wasn’t like that of course. Arsenal were top of the table back then and actually looking good to end their own localised spat about ‘lack of ambition’ when Liverpool just broke them for good in 20 minutes flat.

It took them just eight to end this contest, but for the honour of ensuring they’re the ones who’ll bow limply out of Europe next season, not us. Hardly the same thing really, and frankly you’re welcome to it.

It’s only two defeats but it’s the manner of both which is seismic. We slouched out of Palace last November, still on 14 points. Now it’s 54 and that is to the manager’s credit. Only trouble is, part of that miracle is the squad he’s achieved it with after spending the GNP of a small country.

Time to hide behind the Committee again? Last summer’s spend always looked like a drunkard racing round the stores on Christmas Eve night. I’ll let you decide who the ‘last turkey in the shop’ was but Lovren can’t even displace Toure at his worst and Mario had another mysterious absence from the bench. Markovic, good grief…

The problem with Sterling is not with Modern Football, though clearly that’s diseased beyond repair, but the unnerving truth he may be shining his godly light upon.

For all of the bluster Liverpool aren’t really seated at the game’s biggest tables. If they keep buying dross they may be dining with the servants soon.

Fifth is where they belong and even that’s not locked down yet. A cup might spare everyone’s blushes. Somewhere in the background, Kenny Dalglish smirks.

What a **** article. I could spend 20 minutes dissecting it but really it speaks for itself - random accusations and a very dubious last line. I doubt Dalglish is smirking.

• Advertisement

What a joke of a piece... right from the beginning, play someone just cause you spent a lot of money on them..? Just complete rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The truth hurts, Rodgers Out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

You changed your mind before on Rodgers, give it time and you might change again.

Cool... who in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,493 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I actually believe we are super consistent now that our players are settled in. If we start next season in same form as we have been in since mid December then we will compete for title. I don't care what City United Or Chelsea do, we play them once each away from home! They have no influence on what we do, we should concentrate on what we do.
    When it comes to playing those teams ,do what Jose does, play not to lose those games.
    Rodgers lacks the mind set Rafa had, the tactics he would use to get a result.
    We need a striker as we never replaced the one that left. We need a quality midfielder, or move Can in there and find a quality defender.
    We also need to replace some of the dead wood.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement