Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    You mean the first season where he displayed improvement, second when he almost won the league and a third that while disappointing did involve losing the third best player in the world.

Is that official now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    You mean the first season where he displayed improvement, second when he almost won the league and a third that while disappointing did involve losing the third best player in the world.

I was explaining to the poster that people who don't like him, aren't basing it off losing 2 games as he was suggesting.

I'm not anti Rodgers. I think he talks a colossal amount of sh*t in interviews....more than any other manager and that's saying something. But overall I think he's done a decent job at Liverpool. He gets it tactically wrong often but that's because he's willing to take risks with his team selection and that is to be applauded in my opinion. Too many managers (Pellegrini) make the same mistakes over and over and expect a different outcome.

Just to pick up on one of your points though, you didn't lose Suarez this season. You lost him in the summer, before it started. That cant be used as an excuse. You pulled a Spurs and wasted the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kirby wrote: »
    Just to pick up on one of your points though, you didn't lose Suarez this season. You lost him in the summer, before it started. That cant be used as an excuse. You pulled a Spurs and wasted the money.

Also, Suarez tried to leave the previous summer.

We had so much time and money to try and cope with his departure and did so appallingly.

Okay, he is irreplacable. But 70m and a season and 14/15 months of plannng should have yielded more than Mario Ballotelli.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

You judge a manager, like a player, over the course of a long period of time.

The people who don't think Rodgers is good enough wont change their minds if he wins several games in a row and the people that want him to stay wont change their minds if he loses a bunch in a row. Nobody is calling for his head after 2 games. They are calling for his head after watching him manage for several seasons.

I just cannot fathom how any real Liverpool fan is calling for his head considering where we were when he took over. Last season was an anomaly, to put it very simply , it should not have happened with the squad we had. Based on our spending coupled with wages, 5th is about right for our club. People who expect Liverpool to be challenging for the title are living in the past and its beyond embarrassing.

noodler wrote: »
    Also, Suarez tried to leave the previous summer.

We had so much time and money to try and cope with his departure and did so appallingly.

Okay, he is irreplacable. But 70m and a season and 14/15 months of plannng should have yielded more than Mario Ballotelli.

I'm fairly confident that Rodgers did not want Balotelli.

• Advertisement

Then we have another problem.

The buck stops with him either way.

I just cannot fathom how any real Liverpool fan is calling for his head considering where we were when he took over. Last season was an anomaly, to put it very simply , it should not have happened with the squad we had. Based on our spending coupled with wages, 5th is about right for our club. People who expect Liverpool to be challenging for the title are living in the past and its beyond embarrassing.

There is so much condescending hyperbole in that post but allow me to make one point.

Its is the beginning of April and we are not even challenging for top 4. I find that embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

There is so much condescending hyperbole in that post but allow me to make one point.

Its is the beginning of April and we are not even challenging for top 4. I find that embarassing.

...from one extreme to the other

T-K-O wrote: »
    ...from one extreme to the other

Aye.

I am just going to extremes to point out that nobody was expecting a title challenge this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nobody? You going to make me get out the search engine and start quoting people? :p

There were quite a few confident people in here even after Suarez left.

• Advertisement

Nobody? You going to make me get out the search engine and start quoting people? :p

There were quite a few confident people in here even after Suarez left.

Off you go so!

I don't think any of the regulars (watch me move the goalposts) expected a title challenge.

We're not challenging for the Top 4? That could very easily change this weekend, would your stance on the matter then change?

Liverpool have put up 3 title challenges in 25 years, the current manager was behind one of them. We have qualified for the Champions League once in 6 years, the current manager was behind that.

Like i said, last year was the exception rather than the rule and it got a lot of Liverpool fans in a tizzy. 5th place and a cup win based on the majority of the last 25 years is a very good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Back to the bad times.. Arsenal fans telling us we are **** and how wrong we are to have Title hopes this season...

But the worse thing by far is United fans feeling sorry for us:(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

0028673 wrote: »
    Back to the bad times.. Arsenal fans telling us we are **** and how wrong we are to have Title hopes this season...

But the worse thing by far is United fans feeling sorry for us:(

Poor Kirby, most in the Arsenal thread think he's a Liverpool fan and most here think he's an Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

But yet he decided the club should sign him anyway.

Balotelli was a desperate gamble. Rodgers and Ayre talked the talk at the time about how it was relatively low risk transfer, last chance saloon for the player, Rodgers looked into his eyes etc. The media were briefed about it being a moneyball signing - the player had to score 7/8 league goals a season to cover the cost of the transfer and contract. No matter how you choose to dress it up, signing Balotelli was a mistake - It's on both Ayre and Rodgers, and when it suits him Rodgers fronts the story that he has final say on the transfers.

Talisman wrote: »
    But yet he decided the club should sign him anyway.

Balotelli was a desperate gamble. Rodgers and Ayre talked the talk at the time about how it was relatively low risk transfer, last chance saloon for the player, Rodgers looked into his eyes etc. The media were briefed about it being a moneyball signing - the player had to score 7/8 league goals a season to cover the cost of the transfer and contract. No matter how you choose to dress it up, signing Balotelli was a mistake - It's on both Ayre and Rodgers, and when it suits him Rodgers fronts the story that he has final say on the transfers.

A disastrous signing, which i think most fans were unhappy about. I would much rather we had kept hold of the 16 million and used it for a striker in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

BR deserves criticism. Start of the season was awful. 22 points from the first 17 games is about as bad as it got under BR. Worst case scenario stuff after so much money being spent. The replacing Suarez argument has been done to death but effectively we had a year to prepare a replacement and didn't.

Our biggest problem is our transfers. Our transfer policy might be more effective with a better transfer committee and/or decision making.
    Transfer value has been done to death also but lets just take Lovren/Balotelli/Markovic, (we could take any number of other signings anyway). There's 56m that contributed minimally this season. I'm not debating if they are bad signings or anything. Yes some signings take time to settle etc etc but if we are all honest thats a massive amount of money spent on players we could effectively done without for all that they contributed.

I'm not defending Comolli but if he got sacked for his signings that included one of the best players on the planet and a future captain, how in the name of all that is good is that transfer committee still in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I was just updating the United Thread with Stats Vs Moyes

While I have it open Heres Liverpool's ( just so you have it )

Nothing Personal

344321.png

NukaCola wrote: »

Our biggest problem is our transfers. Our transfer policy might be more effective with a better transfer committee and/or decision making.
    Transfer value has been done to death also but lets just take Lovren/Balotelli/Markovic, (we could take any number of other signings anyway). There's 56m that contributed minimally this season. I'm not debating if they are bad signings or anything. Yes some signings take time to settle etc etc but if we are all honest thats a massive amount of money spent on players we could effectively done without for all that they contributed.

I was delighted with the signing of Lovren because i felt he could bring leadership to our defence and alongside Sakho could become one of the strongest partnerships in the division. Unfortunately that hasnt panned out yet but i wouldnt give up on him just yet mainly because his run in the team was coupled with our worst run of the season when Gerrard was sitting in front of him. A recipe for disaster in my eyes.

Markovic is a fantastic player and i have no doubts that anybody who has written him off already will be eating their words by this time next year. I am of course basing that off his performances from before he signed for Liverpool. People need to realise he is a kid, in a new country with a new language who has consistently been asked to play in a position completely alien to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Nothing Personal

344321.png

You bastard!!!

:P

• Advertisement

Nothing Personal

I will see you hanged for this.

I was delighted with the signing of Lovren because i felt he could bring leadership to our defence and alongside Sakho could become one of the strongest partnerships in the division. Unfortunately that hasnt panned out yet but i wouldnt give up on him just yet mainly because his run in the team was coupled with our worst run of the season when Gerrard was sitting in front of him. A recipe for disaster in my eyes.

Markovic is a fantastic player and i have no doubts that anybody who has written him off already will be eating their words by this time next year. I am of course basing that off his performances from before he signed for Liverpool. People need to realise he is a kid, in a new country with a new language who has consistently been asked to play in a position completely alien to him.

As i said, I'm not debating whether they are or will be a success or writing them off, just that we spent 40m on them and they haven't contributed enough.

40m on Markovic and Lovren. That is incredible amount of money. Lovren may never become a regular and Markovic may never push on. Its a crazy amount of money spent on squad players by a club with limited resources.

The most worrying thing about that picture is the goal difference. How much better would we be looking with a decent striker in the team who could stay fit for 35 games a season?

We should have signed Victor Moses on a permanent deal.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So... Did I miss much? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I will see you hanged for this.

Sure United have only scored 3 more Goals then this time last year

and look who we bought to score them, I would have thought it was a lot more

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94988108&postcount=4723

The most worrying thing about that picture is the goal difference. How much better would we be looking with a decent striker in the team who could stay fit for 35 games a season?

Our top scorers are Gerrard/Sterling both on 10, both not strikers. Awful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Nothing Personal

tumblr_inline_n0lspwI1Sx1sor5mj.gif

Our top scorers are Gerrard/Sterling both on 10, both not strikers. Awful really.

I think Sterling is our top scorer in the league on 6, thats embarassing. We had Suarez on over 30 at this stage last year.

• Advertisement

Then we have another problem.

The buck stops with him either way.

Did the buck stop with all our previous managers on their signings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Off you go so!

I don't think any of the regulars (watch me move the goalposts) expected a title challenge.

Just being in with a shout with Top 4 at the start of April would have done me. Squad went through too much upheaval to expect anything more.

Having said that though I couldn't have perceived the absolute mare the team has had at times this season. So bad that it reminded me of Rodgers' first season in a lot of ways, the main lowlight being our return to rolling over far too easily.

Are people genuinely looking for Rodgers to be replaced?

Who the hell could we get that would be better? We're not at the top tier of European Football anymore, fellas, I'm sorry to say.

I don't see us being able to get in someone better than him, tbh.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Just being in with a shout with Top 4 at the start of April would have done me. Squad went through too much upheaval to expect anything more.

Having said that though I couldn't have perceived the absolute mare the team has had at times this season. So bad that it reminded me of Rodgers' first season in a lot of ways, the main lowlight being our return to rolling over far too easily.

If City lose at the weekend and we beat Newcastle the gap is down to 4 points, i think we play Hull before they play again so realistically we should be looking at a 1 point gap before they play again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm not defending Comolli but if he got sacked for his signings that included one of the best players on the planet and a future captain, how in the name of all that is good is that transfer committee still in a job.
    Damian Comolli wasn't sacked because of the signings, in his role he was to report to the owners on the performance of the manager, this was something he was failing to do. Comolli's reports on Dalglish and the team performance made it clear that he was a yes man for Dalglish.

Knex. wrote: »

Who the hell could we get that would be better? We're not at the top tier of European Football anymore, fellas, I'm sorry to say.

The sense of entitlement in some fans is insane, its time for some people to realise we're not the force we once were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The sense of entitlement in some fans is insane, its time for some people to realise we're not the force we once were.

We are not the force we once were but we're not going to get there buy constantly buying potential and constantly making the same mistakes.

For a club thats so old, it reeks of immaturity at the moment.

Knex, people have to be so careful when they criticise the manager because otherwise you get posts like yours!:pac:

Its almost as if we cannot criticise without people taking from such criticism that they want the manager replaced.

Worth noting though, another start to next season like this season and the owners won't be keeping Rodgers because they fear there will be nobody else decent available.

Knex, people have to be so careful when they criticise the manager because otherwise you get posts like yours!:pac:

Its almost as if we cannot criticise without people taking from such criticism that they want the manager replaced.

Worth noting though, another start to next season like this season and the owners won't be keeping Rodgers because they fear there will be nobody else decent available.

I was more commenting on stuff said over the last few days, than just posts from today, tbh.
    brevity wrote: »
    We are not the force we once were but we're not going to get there buy constantly buying potential and constantly making the same the same mistakes.

For a club thats so old, it reeks of immaturity at the moment.

While I certainly think that this summer we need to sign more players in the 25-28 year bracket, that will come in and be first team players for us, it doesn't help when your players in that criteria fail to meet expectations; Lovren, Lallana, Balotelli.

Also, if you look at the squad when FSG came, and even when Rodgers took over, it was a lot older than it is now. We shifted a lot of dead weight, and had to buy young in order to balance the squad, the wage books, everything.

Last summer was the time to start buying experience, and that failed really, in Lallana, Lovren and Balotelli. The latter is done for, in my eyes. Lovren, I believe to be a decent defender, I just hope the stage isn't too big for him. Lallana has all the ability in the world, but just seems to play within himself.

Regardless, our experienced signing have not stepped up and been counted for. None of them are worthy of a first team place, tbh.

I believe we will sign some players in that age range and profile again this summer, the thing is, we can't afford to miss on them. (obvious I know, but the notion that we're only buying young players no one has heard of is a bit daft)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

So... Did I miss much? :pac:
    No, other than the dissection of Sterlings contract, line by line.;)

Did ya get a good tan on your 'break' away:D

• Advertisement

No, other than the dissection of Sterlings contract, line by line.;)

Did ya get a good tan on your 'break' away:D

I got myself a lovely Emre Tan, Buford. Looking glorious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool are monitoring Geoffrey Kondogbia (Monaco, ex Sevilla) according to the press. I only mention him as he's not an obvious name but does play in a position where a player is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool are monitoring Geoffrey Kondogbia (Monaco, ex Sevilla) according to the press. I only mention him as he's not an obvious name but does play in a position where a player is needed.

Would be a great signing, but would he be willing to leave living it up in Monaco and CL football for Liverpool?

Strong talk of Martin Montoya too, would be another good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

BR deserves criticism. Start of the season was awful. 22 points from the first 17 games is about as bad as it got under BR.
    Our biggest problem is our transfers. .

You have two conflicting statements in my eyes
    The squad what ever your thoughts on transfer spending was far better than the start we had ,even taking into account the amount of new players and time to settle.
    i think you could argue transfers if ppg was ~1.75 but at 1.3 that is not about the summer signings.

Personally I do not think it was even the personnel that caused the problem , Team set up and choice of players Sep-Nov was our biggest issue. That was all down to A Manager who at the time did not seem to have a plan to get us out of the mire we were in.

Now the good news is he turned it around before Xmas and had the team playing some good football. I felt he had done enough prior to the UTD game to earn another season ,and the two results since while disappointing are somewhat to be expected and would not change my mind on giving BR another season.

The reality is having a goal to achieve top 4 is all well and good but the biggest variable to us achieving that is out of our hands and lies with the performance of the four clubs who have better squads and more purchasing power.
    If BR has us set up correctly and keeps us competitive and entertaining then he keeps his job. If we do this consistently we will nab a top four more often than not and can maybe address the wage/spend gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

rob316 wrote: »
    Would be a great signing, but would he be willing to leave living it up in Monaco and CL football for Liverpool?

Strong talk of Martin Montoya too, would be another good signing.

Here we go again, Falcao and James soon got sick of the money. Top players, real quality ambitious football players(with all due respect) want something more than Monaco. If he is content, then leave him there.

Next it will be, 'does he like wearing red'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Zinedine Zidane says Real Madrid are monitoring Sterling...

“We know who Raheem Sterling is, and of course we are monitoring him as a player.

“There are very few players in the world who can improve the Real Madrid squad, so it is going to make sense we monitor the progress of the best young players in the world.

“We monitored Bale for over a year, the same with Isco and also Varane.

“We monitor many of the best young players in Europe, then if we feel they have something to offer Real Madrid we will contact their club and try and make the next step.”

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2015/04/real-madrid-monitoring-raheem-sterling-says-coach-zinedine-zidane/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think I genuinely hate football now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If City lose at the weekend and we beat Newcastle the gap is down to 4 points, i think we play Hull before they play again so realistically we should be looking at a 1 point gap before they play again.

Lets see what happens tomorrow night 1st before thinking of Sunday / Monday and the week after.

As a win tomorrow night will see Liverpool play Aston Villa and not Hull that weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

J Mysterio wrote: »

“We know who Raheem Sterling is, and of course we are monitoring him as a player.

“There are very few players in the world who can improve the Real Madrid squad, so it is going to make sense we monitor the progress of the best young players in the world.

“We monitor many of the best young players in Europe, then if we feel they have something to offer Real Madrid we will contact their club and try and make the next step.”

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2015/04/real-madrid-monitoring-raheem-sterling-says-coach-zinedine-zidane/

I wouldn't look too much into it, they would be foolish not to scout out young talent.

Every club does it, with the Sterling fracas this is getting highlighted for some reason.....

J Mysterio wrote: »

It is horrible the entitled way they mention his name like that even when any possible, tangible interest is a world away.

Most clubs, at worst, wouldn't mention a player's name unless a bid had been submitted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement