Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

mosstin wrote: »
    I'd rather Charlie Austin than either if we have to go down that route. I think we need much better than all three.

Ings is far more suitable to our style of play than austin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ings is far more suitable to our style of play than austin.

And how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Charlie Austin lads... 17 league goals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Charlie Austin lads... 17 league goals!

Doesn't suit our style of play apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Benteke over Ings if we are looking at a striker in the PL for me anyway.

Hat-trick tonight. 3rd one a lovely free kick according to reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

mosstin wrote: »
    And how so?
    ings is more mobile and has a better touch. Austin is more a traditional english style centre forward and we dont play to his strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Benteke over Ings if we are looking at a striker in the PL for me anyway.

There is no question that when he is in the groove he is very a effective goal scorer but he does seem to be a bit fragile in terms of mentality. Now that may just be what happens when Paul Lambert is in charge - but he can go along time without doing anything. Tonight saw him go from 6 to 9 goals for the season. Last season he scored about 10, the previous was very good 19 strikes. He'd probably be cheaper than a top level player from a continental side but not that much - I'd say you'd need to shell out about 20 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is no question that when he is in the groove he is very a effective goal scorer but he does seem to be a bit fragile in terms of mentality. Now that may just be what happens when Paul Lambert is in charge - but he can go along time without doing anything. Tonight saw him go from 6 to 9 goals for the season. Last season he scored about 10, the previous was very good 19 strikes. He'd probably be cheaper than a top level player from a continental side but not that much - I'd say you'd need to shell out about 20 million.

The one thing we do know over others coming from a continental side is that he can score goals in the PL.

We also have a lot of dead weight to get off the books that a side like Villa could do with, deals could be done.

Also if he and Origi we to get some so of partnership going at international level as well as club level that could/would be good for the club.

Brendan does pride himself at making young players better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lovely. Exactly what the thread needs. Anyone able to get onto Kate Cohen about doing an article on, 'Why Rafa Benitez Will Be A Success At Liverpool'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

John Henry is quite rootless, it would be no surprise if he appointed Rafa in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

This place would explode if that happened. God it would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Oh no, not the R word...

"Having arrived at Napoli with the team a strong 2nd I've taken them to outside the European places. I feel its the right time to return to Liverpool football club"

klose wrote: »
    Oh no, not the R word...

Rootless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It would be utter madness if:

- City throw a wad at FSG for Rodgers;
    - Rafa returned;

And I mean madness in the good way. The craic in here would be ninety! :)

"Having arrived at Napoli with the team a strong 2nd I've taken them to outside the European places. I feel its the right time to return to Liverpool football club"

Two cups last year
    Champions league football
    Heading into semi final of Cup
    Still in Europa league

He is always winning something that man .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

- Rafa returned;

It would set our club back 5+ years.

It would set our club back 5+ years.

I disagree. I think Rodgers fails again next season and his reign comes to an end tbh. He'll rightly be aggrieved regarding FSG transfer policy when it comes to pass though.

And I reckon we'll have to agree to disagree on those points anyway.

• Advertisement

Can we not just clone a Rodgers/Rafa hybrid.

That hybrid might be the prefect manager.

Two cups last year
    Champions league football
    Heading into semi final of Cup
    Still in Europa league

He is always winning something that man .

Napoli have been one of the best, actually THE best bankrolled side in Serie A in recent years, they should be winning things, I'd put them as the Italian Man City with Juve as Chelsea, but this year they'll probably end up 5th/6th if their current malaise isn't halted.

I disagree. I think Rodgers fails again next season and his reign comes to an end tbh. He'll rightly be aggrieved regarding FSG transfer policy when it comes to pass though.

And I reckon we'll have to agree to disagree on those points anyway.

If he fails next season then yes, his job is probably gone.

A lot rides on what you deem as a failure though, 5th place and an FA Cup win is a success. 7th place and a Europa League win meaning champions league football is a success.

Yeah it's pretty funny that they don't meet in the middle on a whole lot of 'strengths'. But I think that if you don't give a damn about football needing to be attacking or 'pretty' it becomes a trivial choice who you'd have as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Brafa Rogitez.

I want Rodgers to succeed
    Not looking for change
    But with failure comes change
    I hope he succeeds
    But if he does fail
    Rafa

• Advertisement

If he fails next season then yes, his job is probably gone.

A lot rides on what you deem as a failure though, 5th place and an FA Cup win is a success. 7th place and a Europa League win meaning champions league football is a success.

Yep, win either an FA or Europa League and your season is a success - particularly the latter where you could be forgiven a very poor league finish if you closed the deal. Rodgers would need to make a quantum leap forward to negotiate a European Campaign though. He's looked poor in that arena to date.

Just imagine joining that goatee with Rodgers' new teeth.

Glorious.

Bow before The Bengers, ye peasants.

MIzzpSX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I have a lot of time and respect for Rafa, but I'd doubt the owners would appoint him should a manger change happen in the future. Also he had his time and there was some great times but its BR time now.

I still think BR will be a success here at LFC.

Some mighty fine MS paint skill you got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is a manager change the answer though?

The whole strategy of buying in potential instead of proven class seems to be the issue. If that ccontinues, I don't see anythign changing regardless of who is in charge.

Perhaps I'm being defeatest but based on resources, squads and attractiveness, the top four as it is will probably be the top four for a few seaons to come and I dont see how a new manager will change that .

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure reason why Rodgers lost cool ( if he did) after Arsenal game is because
    the owners had ambitions for this season, ambitions that Rodgers looks like failing to deliver. He fears for his job and is angry with players for what was a poor showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

- Rafa returned;

I think I may have joined the boards soccer forum at the right time!

klose wrote: »
    Some mighty fine MS paint skill you got there.

I'm self taught, would you believe.

The whole strategy of buying in potential instead of proven class seems to be the issue. If that ccontinues, I don't see anythign changing regardless of who is in charge.

Perhaps I'm being defeatest but based on resources, squads and attractiveness, the top four as it is will probably be the top four for a few seaons to come and I dont see how a new manager will change that .

I don't believe it for a second but let's pretend Rafa is our manager this summer. How many of the current squad get shipped out because they won't suit his style of play? 10 at least. They need to be replaced meaning massive amounts of money possibly being spent on lamps while Rafa wants a side table. Another year of transition would follow and on we go again, it's a never ending cycle and changing the manager is certainly not the answer.

I'll throw it out as simple as I can, Liverpool football club will not win a league title for a long time barring an anomaly like last season or being bought by an oligarch.

It's far cheaper in the longer run to just add a couple of 50m pound players every season, than to spent 150m on several players that might play in team. If I was owner I'd just add one or two superstars every season. We have the foundations to build something, we just need the final pieces, not endless add on pieces that don't fit.
    One proven striker and we challenge again.
    Goals is where it's at in Premier league, if you can score goals regardless of your defense you will be in top 3, secure defense and you can be champions. It's no mystery, yet we let a top striker leave and didn't replace him.
    It's mind bottling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I could have sworn I posted something whitty about things being no different once half of us are giving out about Rafa and bad results.

Ah well...

EDit : Ya'll know Rafa would pick a fight with the back of the 17a bus and WILL fall out with the owners after about 6 months

I'm not sure that is even the strategy though. To be fair, I think they did target some experienced players that can contribute now, but they just couldn't close the deals for whatever reason.

At least if our strategy had been to buy solely young players, we could be calling for a change in strategy.

At the minute though, I think our strategy was to buy a mix of potential and established players, but we have just not been able to get the business done.

That is the worrying part, and we can't just re-strategise our way out of it.

The problem is that we need to compete financially with the other top teams.

Easier said than done, but that's where we're at right now IMO.

It's far cheaper in the longer run to just add a couple of 50m pound players every season, than to spent 150m on several players that might play in team. If I was owner I'd just add one or two superstars every season. We have the foundations to build something, we just need the final pieces, not endless add on pieces that don't fit.
    Goals is where it's at in Premier league, if you can score goals regardless of your defense you will be in top 3, secure defense and you can be champions. It's no mystery, yet we let a top striker leave and didn't replace him.
    It's mind bottling

While I agree in principle, what if you spend 100 million and end up with Di Maria and Falcao?

While I agree in principle, what if you spend 100 million and end up with Di Maria and Falcao?

You sell them to PSG for as much money as you spent on them if they don't work out.

Nailed it IMO.

We even saw the effects of it last season w/Suarez. One or two outstanding players can change the whole team dynamic and the effectiveness of the role players. We are overstocked with role players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I tell ya, I wouldn't mind having Di Maria at Liverpool. Cracking player imo and I honestly dont understand why he gets so much stick.

I think lallana and lovren werent bought under that criteria, certainly not lallana anyways. I imagine if a proven player is available at a price the club would go for him. Guess we will see this summer anyways where fsg/rodgers/transfer committee stand over transfers. 4 quality players needed, lets hope we don't bring in a raft of players like the last 2 seasons.

If Rodgers was to be sack and that is a big if FSG would not go anywhere near Rafa it's that simple.

They would go all out for de Boer and his backroom team.

It's mind bottling

Paragraphs! :) I agree, I'm happy to believe that had Liverpool bagged Sanchez rather than Balotelli we'd be laughing now, the failure to find that level of onion sack botherer is all that's been missing.

When you look at the number of goals scored this season it remarkable we're fifth frankly. If you score defending isn't such a pressing concern if its just the top 4 you want to get back into, though to win the title some organisation at the back is required.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I tell ya, I wouldn't mind having Di Maria at Liverpool. Cracking player imo and I honestly dont understand why he gets so much stick.

He's a fantastic player who for some reason isn't being played to his strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

brevity wrote: »
    Brafa Rogitez.

Sounds like a players name from Pro Evo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Sounds like a players name from Pro Evo

It's Mersyside Red vs Mersyside Blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I want Rodgers to succeed
    Not looking for change
    But with failure comes change
    I hope he succeeds
    But if he does fail
    Rafa

Is this a poem mate? It's lovely, keep it up.

Yep, win either an FA or Europa League and your season is a success - particularly the latter where you could be forgiven a very poor league finish if you closed the deal. Rodgers would need to make a quantum leap forward to negotiate a European Campaign though. He's looked poor in that arena to date.

If we win the FA Cup this season and only finish 6th, the manager should be deemed a success this season?

• Advertisement

If we win the FA Cup this season and only finish 6th, the manager should be deemed a success this season?

Success? Maybe not. But I'd deem it acceptable and deserving of another shot next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement