Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mr.H wrote: »
    Well I've seen him play 3 times literally. Watch the odd French game I have money on. He might have just had good games when I've seen him play and the fact that its the French league is surely a huge factor.

But he seems to have a deal of pace about him and looks comfortable on the ball. Can be caught out of position at times as he likes to close down players and if he slides in they are gone straight in on goal. His pace is good for a high line but his decision making needs to be worked on.

I think at 22 he probably should start making a few appearances at a higher level than the French league or else he might stall in his development. If he doesn't come back here I hope he is going to a Premiership side.

So far for next year we have Lovren, Skrtel, Toure, Sakho and maybe Can who can play at centre back. Thats 4/5 players to fill 3 spots if we continue to play 3 at the back. We will need another centre back at least.

I can see maybe Toure moving on as we tried to sell him last summer. Can may get more game time in midfield. That leaves Lovren Skrtel and Sakho.

We have Coates, Ilori, Wisdom and Jones all out on loan but realistically cant see the latter two getting much first team action for a team looking at a top 4 fight (next year).

The only logical choice is to bring either Ilori or Coates or both back for next season as squad players.

Of course I could be completely off base

Coates had barely featured for Sunderland but Wisodm had a good period in the West Brom team.
    And only one of the two played well at Liverpool and it was our Andre.
    If either of the two were to make it at Liverpool, it would be Wisdom but I don't think either will ultimately make it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Looking forward to seeing how he's used once he returns - I think we let Suso go based on having this guy coming through.
    Moreno is a left back not a wing back like a lot of our players this season he is playing in a position that is not natural to him.

Also playing for a manager that shown over the majority of his time at the club that defending is the last thing he seems to worry about that is not going to help all these young inexperienced players with potential when they are asked to attack over defend.

Johnson & Enrique are still our best two fullbacks that speaks volumes for how weak our defence is really.

Whatever about Johnson - Enrique - you can't be serious....sorry but no way. How many times have we seen him play this season? Twice? I remember once and he was PATHETIC. He's not the player he was for us when he first came, he's barely featured this season.
    noodler wrote: »
    Meh, for every Lucas and Henderson there is a Balotelli, an Alberto, an Aqualani, a Borini, an Illori, a Coates, the list goes on and on.

Cherry picking Lucas and Henderson is just convenient for the purposes of defending Moreno.

Convenient or not, it's still a relative argument. I'd wager it's more relative to compare Moreno to Lucas & Henderson given that he's had a consistent run in the team and isn't performing well / coming in for stick from fans, than comparing him to a list of players who've been loaned out / been unable to force their way into the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Coates had barely featured for Sunderland but Wisodm had a good period in the West Brom team.
    And only one of the two played well at Liverpool and it was our Andre.
    If either of the two were to make it at Liverpool, it would be Wisdom but I don't think either will ultimately make it there.

Yea I don't think Coates has a future here. If we can sell him this summer I would expect him to go. He only had a few games this season but I think injury has taken its toll on him. I can see him going back to South America or one of the mid table sides in Spain. Might end up doing a Palleta on us and coming good in south Europe.

Wisdom I actually quiet like but since Pulis came in he hasnt really got a chance. I think his top flight career may be over for now. At least at a top of the table club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I quite like moreno although he has been shocking lately. One thing that's annoying me about him is the hands behind the back Ivanovic move when defending in the box that he does. He did it for Bellerins goal on sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I quite like moreno although he has been shocking lately. One thing that's annoying me about him is the hands behind the back Ivanovic move when defending in the box that he does. He did it for Bellerins goal on sat.

Dont a lot of players do that these days out of fear of a handball been given?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Which is daft, as there seems to be a new unwritten rule that defenders handling in their own penalty area is permissible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

That Annoyed me as well, it was like he was so concerned about getting his hand behind his back that he lost track and showed him inside when all he had to do was show him outside where a shot would have been very difficult. Over all tho I think he's been good considering its his first season in pl.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

There is a few doing it alright but its ridiculous as it makes you easier to take on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

and how much do you know of Ilori would you say the same of Origi?

I know we bought him two years ago for 7m pounds and he hasn't been merited inclusion in the squad since.

I know Sakho and Lovren have been bought since along with Kolo.

I didn't know you wanted me to judge a 7m pound signing on what he might potentially do in his third year at the club assuming, of course, the manager (whose judgement I am accepting here) deems him worthy of a return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I know we bought him two years ago for 7m pounds and he hasn't been merited inclusion in the squad since.

I didn't know you wanted me to judge a 7m pound signing on what he might potentially do in his third year at the club assuming, of course, the manager (whose judgement I am accepting here) deems him worthy of a return.

Sakho was bought at the same time.

It was apparently closer to 5 million (but I won't quibble about the price as either is pretty cheap), he was clearly not bought to slot straight in. So he was sent off to Granada after a period of "getting to know you" at Anfield/Melwood. That he then got a second loan is not any shock (look to Harry Kane as to why multiple clubs at that age is not a reliable indicator of being in/out of a managers/clubs plans).

Obviously any side needs a certain number of players - Kolo was a stop gap obviously so I reckon the club will end up with Ilori, Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho from next season with Can and maybe Toure pitching in as and when needed. Obviously Wisdom could yet figure, hard to know what will happen with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think Ilori will be worth at least a bench place next season. I expect us to push Can into midfield, where we can benefit from his direct running far more, and Ilori would be a good option at RDB. The pace to cover FB, but not in as critical position as where Skrtel plays (we saw how badly that can go with Toure on Sat).

Occasionaly, you have to trust someone young and talented, like we did with Can, Sterling, Ibe and Flanno last year.
    I think Ilori would be worth that chance. I fear that if we let him go, he could become a star for someone else - he has all the raw materials to be a top class CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think Ilori will be worth at least a bench place next season. I expect us to push Can into midfield, where we can benefit from his direct running far more, and Ilori would be a good option at RDB. The pace to cover FB, but not in as critical position as where Skrtel plays (we saw how badly that can go with Toure on Sat).

Occasionaly, you have to trust someone young and talented, like we did with Can, Sterling, Ibe and Flanno last year.
    I think Ilori would be worth that chance. I fear that if we let him go, he could become a star for someone else - he has all the raw materials to be a top class CB.

I would agree with this and maybe a 6 month loan to a prem club might work for Llori to get him used to the league so it's something that should be tried for by the club.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hope next season we are able to have a system that has us playing 4 at the back. I always feel we are missing something or restricting ourselves somehow with 3 at the back, although it proved to be the right move a few months back to start using that system. It has stopped working though, I think it's fair to say, and not just over the last two defeats.

This could be the most important set of numbers regarding transfer policy this summer.
    1.00 GBP = 1.38046 EUR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This could be the most important set of numbers regarding transfer policy this summer.

We'll probably just buy all British players so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Produce immediate results or get out, yet again. Did you want Sterling playing every week at 15? What about Rossiter at 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

5starpool wrote: »
    I hope next season we are able to have a system that has us playing 4 at the back. I always feel we are missing something or restricting ourselves somehow with 3 at the back, although it proved to be the right move a few months back to start using that system. It has stopped working though, I think it's fair to say, and not just over the last two defeats.

Rodgers needs to learn when to use 3 at the back and when to use 4 at the back. Using three at the back against 2 very experienced managers probably wasn't the best idea in retrospect.

Sometimes I think he has trouble when to use a specific method and not be afraid to revert to something that might not have worked previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolutely there is very little value to be had in the PL, especially with everyone rich from a big TV deal.

I do think its an absolute no brainer to buy Ings though, he will cost about £5m and if he flops you will at worst sell him for £5m to some bottom table side. I think he's a very good player though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

brevity wrote: »
    Rodgers needs to learn when to use 3 at the back and when to use 4 at the back. Using three at the back against 2 very experienced managers probably wasn't the best idea in retrospect.

Sometimes I think he has trouble when to use a specific method and not be afraid to revert to something that might not have worked previously.

It seems more to me thathe can stick with something that isn't working too long. The first half of this season being a case in point. He tried to use the same system essentially as last season despite it becoming obvious fairly quickly that it wasn't working as we were missing the critical pieces of that (fit Suarez and Sturrudge) and the confidence sapped out of the team. I hope the same isn't happening now as this season really could tail off in the way that Kenny's last few months did, especially if we lose tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Looks like four at the back tonight.

CCFlj9SWIAAJDyS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I like the look of that team to be honest if it is 4 at the back.

I like the look of that team to be honest if it is 4 at the back.

Yeah there is options there to play two up top and a diamond midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Good to see Brannagan on the bench again. Out of contract in the summer though so probably been on the bench to show that Rodgers rates him.

I'd also guess we probably won't see Balotelli in a Liverpool jersey again this season.

• Advertisement

I'd also guess we probably won't see Balotelli in a Liverpool jersey again this season.

No loss, his attitude is the worst I have seen from a LFC player in a long long time.

Its a pity we didn't play a team like that at the wknd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Has to be 4 at the back with that line up! Too many players out of their comfort zone otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Henderson might be in the RWB position. Its not something I'd agree with but its a possibility.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Henderson might be in the RWB position. Its not something I'd agree with but its a possibility.

Its a possibility but I hope your wrong, I'm expecting 442 like last year with sterling up with sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Hopefully it's 442, finally allow everyone to play in their best positions again.

• Advertisement

Sick note Mario, how many times is it now he's been out with an "illness".

Its a possibility but I hope your wrong, I'm expecting 442 like last year with sterling up with sturridge

Rodgers wouldn't confirm the formation just there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

sick of mario ballotelli tbh,a con man of a footballer.."im not feeling the best" ...fcuk off back to italy please ,at first opportunity

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Rodgers wouldn't confirm the formation just there.

Ya worrying he usually has no problem explaining why he's made changes, I'll be pissed off of we limp into this one with every one behind the ball and hendo on the wing, need a fast start and but them on the back foot from the first whistle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

sick of mario ballotelli tbh,a con man of a footballer.."im not feeling the best" ...fcuk off back to italy please ,at first opportunity

Its hard to disagree with this. Has he blamed his grass allergy yet? If Markovic did something like that he'd be a laughing stock but for some reason Balotelli gets away with it because he is such a ''character''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Anyone else realise how Moreno wears last seasons shorts? Bit of an odd one.

Sakho gone now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Oh no, not KOLO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the Illori thing, young defenders aren't the same as midfielders or attackers - you can't really pop one on to get experience because almost any mistake costs you a goal, so there's not really any point having one there as 4th choice. Much better off having an experienced 4th choice like Toure on the bench while the young guy goes out on loan for a few years, gets to play at a steady improving level each year, and can then then come in with the expectation of playing more if they're good enough.

Regardless of how he played, I didn't expect to see Illori playing any real part at Anfield until at least his 3rd season, and I wouldn't have any problem with loaning him to a club one rung higher than where he is for another year, before bringing him back. Defenders just require more patience than other positions.

Look at Paletta, completely written off as a young player at Liverpool, has gone on to have a very good career with Parma, and earned a move to Milan, as well as becoming a recent Italian team regular.

****it, even look at Carragher - he was a disaster for much of his younger career, unable to be trusted at centre back, and dodgy at best for much of his time at right back - then the experience kicked in, and he became a completely different player from 2005 onwards.

Its pretty clear that Sturridge is simply never going to lengthen his stride and power on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Its pretty clear that Sturridge is simply never going to lengthen his stride and power on again.

I wouldn't write him off yet but i think its gonna take a sustained period of working on his confidence in his own body to do it. A real shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its hard to disagree with this. Has he blamed his grass allergy yet? If Markovic did something like that he'd be a laughing stock but for some reason Balotelli gets away with it because he is such a ''character''

Gets away with it from who. Nearly everyone has written him off. I have anyway. Disaster of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Pretty depressing stuff watching this game, highlights how badly we've spent the Suarez money. Would take the same amount of money to address some of the problems in this squad.

Ardent wrote: »
    Pretty depressing stuff watching this game, highlights how badly we've spent the Suarez money. Would take the same amount of money to address some of the problems in this squad.

Would you trust whoever is buying players at the club with another £100m?

I know I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pulling my hair out watching sturridge play here

You are bald Sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

The lack of movement from us in the last few games in the final third is sickening. Pass and move, not pass and stand there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Pass and move - you my boy Phil

New contract and pay rise for Coutinho.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What happened sahko?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement