Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I hate collars on jerseys, and whats with the gold around the neck and sleaves, and dont get me started on the checkered look, i wont be buying it thats for sure

Not a fan of the aul fleck ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Obviously there's zero chance of it happening but for the sake of discussion...... Chicarito? How would we all feel if he was signed this summer? I think he could be perfect for us, so many times this season we have created chances but haven't had anyone to put the ball in the net which is something he does very well when he's not asked to get involved in the build up play. Wouldn't cost much and wouldn't be annoyed not starting every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Walcott and £20m for Sterling in the Star.

That's pretty dreadful.

I've always thought Chicarito to be massively overrated. We're not in a position to say no to him, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't look elsewhere, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's a tap in merchant, the rest of his game is pretty poor.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Knex. wrote: »
    I've always thought Chicarito to be massively overrated. We're not in a position to say no to him, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't look elsewhere, tbh.

He's still contracted to utd as well I assume? Even if we were in for him that would be a bit of a stumbling block I'd imagine. If we were creating as many chances as we were last season he'd be a great fit but we are pretty blunt in that regard this season so he'd need to do too much of his own work which isn't his best attribute really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Adidas have the only decent Liverpool jerseys. Warrior and New Balance are hideous.

As long as they pay the cash that's the main thing that matters I imagine.

Bar these two examples rarnes. Always thought them hideous.

1992.jpg
    fa9fa63fbd4faa638735bf05c942d314.jpg

That's pretty dreadful.

Walcott will want big wages too.
    But, 2 years left on his contract, if sterling wants out I can't see any club bidding 30m straight for him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

rob316 wrote: »
    He's a tap in merchant, the rest of his game is pretty poor.

He's struggling with the tap in part of his game too. Hopeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

B17G wrote: »
    fa9fa63fbd4faa638735bf05c942d314.jpg

That jersey always immediatley brings to mind a dazed and confused (and chunky) Neil Ruddock staggering away after equalising against ManU with a thundering header in which he also managed to headbutt Steve Bruce

Cartman78 wrote: »
    That jersey always immediatley brings to mind a dazed and confused (and chunky) Neil Ruddock staggering away after equalising against ManU with a thundering header in which he also managed to headbutt Steve Bruce

It evokes memories of Glenn Hysen and Torben Piechnik for me. I'm not keen to see it too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I kind of like the idea of swapping Sterling for Walcott and 20m.

We've been trying to use Sterling a striker this year quite alot and he just isn't one. His finishing is pretty poor. He also doesn't like the idea of playing as a wing back in the system either.

I think Walcott might be more like Sturridge in that he'd be more of a natural finisher and that if given time as an out and out striker he could do very well.

I'd be happy enough next year to have Sturridge, Walcott and Origi as 3 striking options as well as bringing through more youth talent like Ibe and Sinclair. That'd mean selling Lambert, Ballotelli and Borini. Then I'd expect Johnson to also be gone so lots of space on wages.

Taking the 20m for Sterling plus the money from other sales, I'd also like to bring in Milner, Begovic, Gündoğan, Lacazette and another defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

NEDDURC wrote: »
    I kind of like the idea of swapping Sterling for Walcott and 20m.

We've been trying to use Sterling a striker this year quite alot and he just isn't one. His finishing is pretty poor. He also doesn't like the idea of playing as a wing back in the system either.

I think Walcott might be more like Sturridge in that he'd be more of a natural finisher and that if given time as an out and out striker he could do very well.

I'd be happy enough next year to have Sturridge, Walcott and Origi as 3 striking options as well as bringing through more youth talent like Ibe and Sinclair. That'd mean selling Lambert, Ballotelli and Borini. Then I'd expect Johnson to also be gone so lots of space on wages.

Taking the 20m for Sterling plus the money from other sales, I'd also like to bring in Milner, Begovic, Gündoğan, Lacazette and another defender

Walcott is definitely not a natural finisher. He's quite profligate actually. Arsenal make lots of chances, he misses a good deal of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

It's all well and good saying how good a player is but you seem to be forgetting that he's even more fragile than Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

It's all well and good saying how good a player is but you seem to be forgetting that he's even more fragile than Sturridge.

this, number one reason to stay well clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I had a game of indoor on that night and the united fans were living it large about the score. They were unbearable.

The look on their faces when we found out the score after coming back was priceless:D

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Walcott is no better a finisher than Sterling, what is he 25/26 now? If he was ever going to be a striker it would have happened by now. To me he finishes better off the right when he has little or no time to think, has never impressed me through the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The imponderable regarding Arsenal players is this - does Wenger have a remarkable ability to find talented but fragile players or do they become fragile due to being at Arsenal?

Someone must have a data base of injuries which allows comparisons between before, during and after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Ste- wrote: »
    this, number one reason to stay well clear.

I'd risk it.
    I do think Rodgers tried to buy him a while back too so wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth in this rumour.

I also wouldn't be surprised if City offer him big money this summer. They'll probably under go a major shake up and need some more english players and he could well be one of their top targets. If he went there I'd like to get Milner. I think he's class too, versatile and plays with determination.

Not that its exactly a massive accolade or anything, but Walcott is definitely a better finisher than Sterling as things stand.

Sterling has time on his side, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Walcott is no better a finisher than Sterling, what is he 25/26 now? If he was ever going to be a striker it would have happened by now. To me he finishes better off the right when he has little or no time to think, has never impressed me through the middle.

Walcott is a far better finisher than Sterling. The worry I'd have with him is that he hasn't played much since his return so you don't know if he's lost some pace or has declined but he was in the top 3 wingers in the league before his injury. Can set up and score goals at an impressive rate. To play through the middle in the PL you have to have some ability to hold the ball up which is his biggest weakness so that's why he doesn't play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Liam O wrote: »
    Walcott is a far better finisher than Sterling. The worry I'd have with him is that he hasn't played much since his return so you don't know if he's lost some pace or has declined but he was in the top 3 wingers in the league before his injury. Can set up and score goals at an impressive rate. To play through the middle in the PL you have to have some ability to hold the ball up which is his biggest weakness so that's why he doesn't play there.

If Sterling was to be sold do you think 20 plus Walcott is a good deal? what value does Walcott hold, surely gone down a bit now with the injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Yes. Watched that match in the company of 4 or 5 Man U fans. Much slagging at 0-3. Better when Razors effort hit the net!

Is everyone forgetting Walcotts injury problems, he makes Sturridge look like Suarez in comparison.

ManOnFire wrote: »
    If Sterling was to be sold do you think 20 plus Walcott is a good deal? what value does Walcott hold, surely gone down a bit now with the injury

That would essentially pay Walcott's wages for about 3 years as he would presumably want about 150k per week to sign. I can see him resisting the move as well, but if he is to leave Arsenal then barring going abroad, he won't sign for any club that is likely to finish above Liverpool anyhow, so CL ambitions are unrealistic as a demand in a new club.

On the injury front, that is obviously a big downside to him, especially since we have Sturridge as well and won't be (presumably) looking to move him on, so it's not a risk worth taking imo, although on ability alone he'd be a good addition. I haven't seen much of his appearances this season though since his injuries.

Is everyone forgetting Walcotts injury problems, he makes Sturridge look like Suarez in comparison.

He's had that one big injury that could happen to any player, before that I'd say he was about the normal amount of time missed for a player in his role who gets hacked at least once a game.

He's had that one big injury that could happen to any player, before that I'd say he was about the normal amount of time missed for a player in his role who gets hacked at least once a game.

42 injuries in 8 years

Oh and that is an awful deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

Oh and that is an awful deal.

To be honest I am not sure if its a good deal for Arsenal but its an awful one for Liverpool.
    He is an injury prone player and I dont think you can afford to take such a punt on him.
    Its not like when say Arsenal bought Overmars in 1998. He was cheap because of his previous injuries.

Give injury prone Walcott 150k a week, but not world at his feet Sterling.

Now that, I am against.

Not saying either of them should be on that money, but its hard to accept the former under those conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Meh, the two of them will be playing for West Ham in three years.

Buy more Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Give injury prone Walcott 150k a week, but not world at his feet Sterling.

Now that, I am against.

Not saying either of them should be on that money, but its hard to accept the former under those conditions.

Where did ya get 150k a week from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Maybe im crazy but i still think we can catch up and make the top 4.

Last week i was thinking no chance, after watching us against Blackburn i was thinking the same to be honest between suspensions and injuries.

We should beat Newcastle (he says hopefully) so with City and Utd playing each other we should close the gap to some degree on one or both of them.

After City Utd then go away to Chelsea and Everton, prior to the game at Anfield Utd are only ok away from home. There is a chance they may take only 3 points from their next 3 games, if we can string a few wins together then we are right back up there. Of course it could end up with Everton bending over and taking a spanking from UTD in a bid from Everton to not help out their neighbours. After that they have away games at Hull and Palace along with Arsenal at home.

City on the other hand are something of an enigma. They seem to be dropping like a stone, lose on Sunday and we win on Monday and we go 4 points behind. They have an easier run in but its hard to know what way they will go.

The killing thing is we have zero margin for error now with a number of tricky away games coming up but away from home we are actually a top 4 team, points dropped at home have us 7th in the table.

Its funy to look at the City v Utd game and think which is the best result for us, a draw maybe would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

brevity wrote: »
    Meh, the two of them will be playing for West Ham in three years.

Buy more Germans.

Ye can have Podolski plus a quid for Sterling ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

CCOtt3SUwAEueeQ.jpg

New kit looks ok isn't a great pic though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »
    CCOtt3SUwAEueeQ.jpg

New kit looks ok isn't a great pic though

Lads don't look chuffed about it.

noodler wrote: »
    Lads don't look chuffed about it.

Probably don't pay as well as Nivea :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Probably don't pay as well as Nivea :p

Dodgey ad in and of itself!

The three England lads have the side-projects boxed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We already have one crock in Sturridge. We hardly need another in Walcott. Steer well clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

CCO3fCyUIAEOeQ2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

CCO3s6jUgAAWB3C.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'd be open to Walcott coming to the club but definitely not as part of a swap deal.

He's also a sicknote.

He could keep Sturridge company though during sicknote times.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    CCO3fCyUIAEOeQ2.jpg

If there was no pattern, NB or Standard Chartered on it, it might be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Thats awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

It doesn't look too bad, though I'll wait 'til I see it in person before I make my mind up. Jerseys are so subjective really, unless it's truly bad (like not red for example!) you're always gonna find some people who like it and some who hate it.

Kinda weird Stevie not being in the pics, I'm so used to seeing him in new Jersey pics. I guess I'll have to get used to him not being in them!

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

Doesn't look as bad here. Think the check pattern might be more faint than in the promo pictures

CCO5ZNkUkAAaTkk.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think people genuinely need to get the Sterling and contract out of their heads.

At this stage I really don't think it's an issue on money. He already knows whether he stays at LFC or goes somewhere else that he's going to be on a weekly 6 digit figure salary.

Let's see what happens in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I hate the lines on the neck. I think this years kit is similar. Just get rid of them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement