Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rodgers isn't the issue. He makes mistakes, sure, but he's not the root.

Moneyball only works to a certain degree in the Premier League.

The owners need to realise this or else wwe'll be pretty much where we are for the forseeable future.

Even Arsenal, FSG's template, bought Ozil and Sanchez in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Do You guys not just need 2 Strikers and a Midfielder? Maybe a defender. But you're not bleeding Goals

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Said it before saying it again: if you think a new manager will change anything, you're deluded.

I think the opposite will be the case, and the problem. A new manager (no matter who) would change a lot of things and we'd be almost certain to miss out due to those changes even if they improved us long term. Getting rid of Rodgers now would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater essentially, and is too premature.

Providing there is no sequence next season like we had earlier this season, this time next year is when questions might be getting asked seriously if we have shown no progress, but that is a while away yet. Winning the FA Cup would help as well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

SlickRic wrote: »

The owners need to realise this or else wwe'll be pretty much where we are for the forseeable future.

I agree.

When have we implemented Moneyball effectively? Less than 10% of the time and thats being generous.

We have a problem with transfers. Its a huge stumbling block. A change in direction is needed on that front.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sterling wants a song.
    We need to give him one

The first 14 seconds of this song repeated should suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Okay, so I dont think he is a bad manager but I still find it hard to believe moneyball is to blame for:

Mario 18m
    Llanna 25m
    Lovren 20m
    Markovic 20m

Even accepting apparent low wages for Markovic.

I'm just saying Rodgers has to share blame for the misallocation of a farily decent outlay in the summer.

We were unlikely to replace the Suarez hole with the money but I thought we would do a better job trying to fill it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd love if the fans started singing a "money" song every time Sterling touched the ball tonight.

5starpool wrote: »
    Providing there is no sequence next season like we had earlier this season, this time next year is when questions might be getting asked seriously if we have shown no progress, but that is a while away yet. Winning the FA Cup would help as well though.

I agree. I can understand why some people would have doubts about BR but I cant understand why people would want him gone at this point. He deserves one more season at least.

I think he's done a good job, had we got CL this season I'd have said he's done a very good job but thats all but gone now. He's made mistakes and is obviously not the finished article but there is enough there to suggest he can be a success at LFC.

I'd love if the fans started singing a "money" song every time Sterling touched the ball tonight.

But its not about the money :confused::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Blaming some boogeyman who's supposedly buying all these garbage players is a joke. If this was an episode of Scooby Doo the boogeyman would take off his mask and good old big teeth Brendan would have that smug smile on his face and say 'it was me all along'.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Okay, so I dont think he is a bad manager but I still find it hard to believe moneyball is to blame for:

Mario 18m
    Llanna 25m
    Lovren 20m
    Markovic 20m

Even accepting apparent low wages for Markovic.

I'm just saying Rodgers has to share blame for the misallocation of a farily decent outlay in the summer.

We were unlikely to replace the Suarez hole with the money but I thought we would do a better job trying to fill it!

Well, if moneyball was implemented effectively Lovren and Markovic could have been signed one season earlier for half the price. Lallana would have also been acquired for less after his one good season in the EPL. And we'd have saved 18m on Mario by not buying him......we do not implement moneyball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Arsenal had 10 tough years while paying for their stadium where they had to sell their best player nearly every season. It's only now, when the finance costs of the stadium are nearly gone, that they have started spending money on expensive purchases.

We still have to build and pay for our extension and it's only in the last financial year that we have made a profit. With increased commercial income and TV money, and a smaller spend on the stadium, we are in a decent position to start buying a better class of player.

The version of moneyball FSG are playing is buying a small number of excellent prospects and bedding them in over 2-3 seasons. Tbh, it's not a bad version but it will not lead to jizz-tastic signings that many crave but may well turn out to be the best course to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Blaming some boogeyman who's supposedly buying all these garbage players is a joke. If this was an episode of Scooby Doo the boogeyman would take off his mask and good old big teeth Brendan would have that smug smile on his face and say 'it was me all along'.

So who do we get in so?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Obviously someone with smaller teeth...d'oh:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Neil Lennon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Money's Too Tight to Mention would be my choice ;)

Neil Lennon

Good shout. Tho I think Eamon Dunphy is long overdue his shot at a top club.

Neil Lennon

Based on what?

Neil Lennon

Jaysis, lay off the sauce dude.

/ushering the old lad out the door gif from the US office

• Advertisement

Is Tipsy just another of Rarnes alternative accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Obviously someone with smaller teeth...d'oh:pac:

We'd save a journeyman players wages each week if we didnt have to pay for whitening anyway.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

"I'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The first 14 seconds of this song repeated should suffice.

Aesop Rock and Rob Sonic - NICE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"I'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids"

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I've thought of a song for Raheem.

Ooo, ah, up the Rah,
    Ooo, ah, up the Rah!
    (Repeat x10)

Should go down well.

• Advertisement

We have seen a very impressive ppg haul over 1/3 to 1/2 season 2 seasons in a row, the poor form early this season was ridiculously poor, eliminate that and we are firm top 4 contenders regardless of whoever else strengthen.... The summer is free from international competition, the squad is largely overhauled.... Be grand :)

I know people are mainly joking about the Raheem money songs but I really hope the fans get behind him. The guy is as big a talent that we've had coming through since Stevie and we really need to keep him. Make him feel loved, cheer him on, show him that it's not just hyperbole when we say it's more than just a football club....

But the likelihood is as this gets drawn out the boos will get louder and louder and any chance of him staying will get smaller and smaller.

Someone do a sad panda gif... I'm in work. 😢

We haven't heard any boos from Liverpool fans for him so far, barring perhaps a bit at the kit launch the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Just on the Summer, transfers, and Rodgers, I'm conflicted about the whole thing.

I've always given Rodgers the benefit of doubt but this is a big Summer for him, as I think next season is 'THE' season for him.

As it stands he has one fantastic season under his belt, and two poor ones bar an absolute miracle this season.

Next season will be his 4th season and not many managers can say they've had that much time at a club in this day and age, so he really needs to step up and get it right this Summer with transfers.

If he doesn't and next season ends up being another disappointment, that will be one too many poor seasons under his tenure for me.

I'm not privy to how exactly transfers are done at the club, but whatever happens Rodgers needs to take ownership of decisions made next season. If he's not happy with certain players being signed then he needs to put up or shut up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

x43r0 wrote: »

Everybody has got a price :)

EVbV7k2.jpg

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Mario 18m
    Llanna 25m
    Lovren 20m
    Markovic 20m

Lovren was a misstep completely, but I would certainly argue that Markovic was bought on pure potential. he was bought on a large fee because the wages wouldn't be huge.

Lallana, yes the fee was significant, but he doesn't earn what a Sanchez or Ozil earn.

Mario was bought because we put our eggs in the Sanchez basket, and we needs SOMEONE to fill a gap in the squad. we took a risk on Mario because he was relatively cheap in terms of his talent.

last summer was a farce in hindsight. it's fine to buy in the hope that players come good, but when you find yourself in Champions League land, you simply have to strike while the iron is hot and get at least one or 2 players in who will definitely make a difference.

we gambled on Rodgers' coaching skills keeping us where we want to be. it seems to have failed this season, and an opportunity was lost.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

SM01 wrote: »
    Aesop Rock and Rob Sonic - NICE!
    They have 2 albums together :)

Has anyone read the snippets from the Guardian interview with Sterling yet? This is the one the money thing has stemmed from.
    He speaks highly of Liverpool and how great his house is there, how close his child is etc.
    The one thing he says about London is that his mammy has moved back there and he misses her cooking.

I would say it leans more in the direction of wanting to stay in Liverpool rather than leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Anyone know much about Samper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I now understand why LFC fans get branded as deluded...but its only on the internet I've seen such nonsense being spoken ..never met a fan who would say some of the things I see written here out loud..hard to believe its adults sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I now understand why LFC fans get branded as deluded...but its only on the internet I've seen such nonsense being spoken ..never met a fan who would say some of the things I see written here out loud..hard to believe its adults sometimes

Any particular post or just in general?

Anyone know much about Samper?

He is another kid - 20 year old, only just edging into the senior Barca side as the next Busquets. Its hard to see any logic to buying him. If Liverpool need a CM/DM then surely you'd look for experience. Be strange to end up with two 20 year olds for the middle of the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He is another kid - 20 year old, only just edging into the senior Barca side as the next Busquets. Its hard to see any logic to buying him. If Liverpool need a CM/DM then surely you'd look for experience. Be strange to end up with two 20 year olds for the middle of the park.

I don't see them selling him either, he is highly rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Does anyone know if the Flannogator is in the squad for tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

last summer was a farce in hindsight.

Hindsight? I think it was pretty obvious at the time that we weren't giving ourselve the best chance of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Jon Stark wrote: »

Next season will be his 4th season and not many managers can say they've had that much time at a club in this day and age, so he really needs to step up and get it right this Summer with transfers.

tbh.

Isn't that part of the problem tho, clubs are generally way too quick to ditch the manager after a bad patch. Instant success is very rare in football, and near impossible considering the strength of other teams, I hoping we will see a lot more from last summers signings next year when they have really settled in, Rodgers more than deserves another season imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thanks for coming m8.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Hindsight? I think it was pretty obvious at the time that we weren't giving ourselve the best chance of success.

true.

some of us had unreasonable amounts of hope that we might get away with it, but you're right, it was probably quite obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Does anyone know if the Flannogator is in the squad for tonight?

Hopefully, this has been badly missed this season.

DeadSneakyAztecant.gif

5starpool wrote: »
    We haven't heard any boos from Liverpool fans for him so far, barring perhaps a bit at the kit launch the other day.

And anyone that does boo him deserves a quick slap to the chops

We badly need Sterling playing well. Giving him stick wouldn't help matters at all.

Imo, booing current players from the club comes from the idiot section of the fanbase. Nothing good can come from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Illaremendi was linked as well wasnt he? would be a good addition to the midfield and probably more likely than some that have been linked already

rarnes1 wrote: »

We badly need Sterling playing well. Giving him stick wouldn't help matters at all.

Imo, booing current players from the club comes from the idiot section of the fanbase. Nothing good can come from it.

I also think the club will hold onto him for next season anyhow, even if he refuses to sign a new contract. If that happened and he didn't play well in the first part of next season then I can imagine the grumbles will be getting more audible, but booing of your own player for nothing worse than contract wrangling is idiotic.

Tinfoil hat time:
    I bet the booing by Blackburn fans will be repeated by other opposition fans in the hopes of stirring up controversy by saying he was booed by Liverpool fans.
    /tinfoil hat time

rarnes1 wrote: »

Yep,, no fans know the ins and outs of the negotiations, we need to keep stum and hope the deal gets done. I reckon the chances of him going anywhere this summer are very slim allot of paper talk.

true.

some of us had unreasonable amounts of hope that we might get away with it, but you're right, it was probably quite obvious.

Nothing wrong with unreasonable amounts of hope especially after last season, Its those of us who are unreasonably pessimistic that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rob316 wrote: »
    Hopefully, this has been badly missed this season.

DeadSneakyAztecant.gif

Never noticed the Spurs fan in the background standing and applauding until now - rightly so too, some tackle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

D'Agger wrote: »
    Never noticed the Spurs fan in the background standing and applauding until now - rightly so too, some tackle

I'd say he is applauding the effort of one of his own players battling on at 4-0 down!

Flanno being a fixture in the team would require dropping 3-5-2, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement