Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why does this apply to him and not to Rodgers? Swansea had spent many years carefully selecting managers to cultivate that playing style which we seen under Rodgers. They had the same structures in place around Brendan at the time. Rodgers earlier attempts at management hadn't gone too well.

I would agree to an extent, but Rodgers got Swansea promoted not Martinez or Sousa, that's an unforgiving league winning promotion is very tough.
    Swansea are a established club in PL now a few years that is run very well and financially sound, its a more stable environment than Rodgers had.

Rodgers did ok at Watford but his time at Reading was a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chatting with a mate at the weekend and he put something interesting to me when talking about Rodgers. How highly do people rate Garry Monk as a manager? If we did get rid of Rodgers, I would guess absolute uproar would ensue if we hired him? He is currently having an incredible season with Swansea. They are eighth in the table while having lost their best player to City in January.

Incredible season might be pushing it a bit. Roughly around 8th is probably where you would have expected Swansea to be at the beginning of the season. They are an established Premier League team now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The only thing the EL is good for is preparing a squad for playing in the EL for following year. Its like a closed loop 9 times out of ten.

Then revenue from the EL remains pathetic for a prem club - any prem club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Incredible season might be pushing it a bit. Roughly around 8th is probably where you would have expected Swansea to be at the beginning of the season. They are an established Premier League team now.

The wagebill, netspend etc of the club would beg to differ. I'm pretty sure they are outperforming their wage bill by about 10 places which is usually a pretty fair indicator of where a club should finish.

The only thing the EL is good for is preparing a squad for playing in the EL for following year. Its like a closed loop 9 times out of ten.

Rubbish the manger needs to learn how to juggle European midweek games with a PL fixture list. This is the most important aspect of having European football. I still think his weakest area of management is rotation which won't improve is we have a massive squad next season without any games to use that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

English clubs arrogance towards the EL is stupid considering the CL form. I know it doesn't have huge prizemoney but it should be used as a stepping stone to improve the team for CL football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

They have just surpassed their highest PL points total with 6 games remaining. Considering the players they have lost over the last few seasons like Michu, Bony, De Guzman, Allen, Vorm etc. that's pretty good going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

MD1990 wrote: »
    The difference with Rodgers & Monk is that Rodgers got promoted with Swansea with a team a with very little PL experience & they had a great season playing great football. With Monk they have more money & have bought PL players in comparison to what Rodgers done. I didn't know whether Rodgers could get us to 2nd back then.

Good point. I guess what i was trying to say was its too early to judge both managers.

They have just surpassed their highest PL points total with 6 games remaining. Considering the players they have lost over the last few seasons like Michu, Bony, De Guzman, Allen, Vorm etc. that's pretty good going.

Its excellent especially considering their wage structure etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

mosstin wrote: »
    I do enjoy popping in and out of here on occasion.
    Never fails to make me smile.
    Lennon to replace Rodgers?
    Tipsy by name, ****faced by nature.

I was joking. Do yourself a favour and not pop in anymore if you're going to be that gullible.

So then sack everyone and buy Swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So then sack everyone and buy Swansea

We tried that with Southampton and it hasn't worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

5starpool wrote: »
    I think the opposite will be the case, and the problem. A new manager (no matter who) would change a lot of things and we'd be almost certain to miss out due to those changes even if they improved us long term. Getting rid of Rodgers now would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater essentially, and is too premature.

Providing there is no sequence next season like we had earlier this season, this time next year is when questions might be getting asked seriously if we have shown no progress, but that is a while away yet. Winning the FA Cup would help as well though.

How would you equate progress? 5th place is the ceiling for Liverpool unless 1) Liverpool pay for and attract talent that will dleiver sooner than 12 months; or 2) Liverpool get bankrolled.

Regardless of who's in charge.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

I was joking. Do yourself a favour and not pop in anymore if you're going to be that gullible.

Replying with Roy Hodgson would have been a joke , you replied with Neil Lennon and no smiley or exclamation to convey the joke. I think you're back tracking when your suggestion got rightfully shat on.

Hoki wrote: »
    Replying with Roy Hodgson would have been a joke , you replied with Neil Lennon and no smiley or exclamation to convey the joke. I think you're back tracking when your suggestion got rightfully shat on.

Maybe I should have used one of those fancy memes that are rather popular nowadays or a gif, or maybe my suggestion was so ridiculous most of the posters on here knew it was a piss take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Rubbish the manger needs to learn how to juggle European midweek games with a PL fixture list. This is the most important aspect of having European football. I still think his weakest area of management is rotation which won't improve is we have a massive squad next season without any games to use that squad.

:confused::confused: did someone call off next season? ffs

Isn't it possible we might have less players next season, and more games?

:confused::confused: did someone call of next season? ffs

Isn't it possible we might have less players next season, and more games?

No I don't see how it is possible. What players are you getting rid of? Fair enough we'll drop a few like Johnson(hopefully), Gerrard etc. The fact though is due to last summers approach the squad is quite large as it needed to be to compete in the CL and the PL. I don't see us giving up on many of those players. People like Borini, Balotelli have hardly played so getting rid of them won't have any real impact. I expect we'll sign 3/4 players. The squad without European football will be quite large regardless of business we do in the summer unless we loan or clear out large portions of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Maybe I should have used one of those fancy memes that are rather popular nowadays or a gif, or maybe my suggestion was so ridiculous most of the posters on here knew it was a piss take.

Most of your posts are equally as ridiculous... should we take them all as you taking the piss?

or maybe my suggestion was so ridiculous most of the posters on here knew it was a piss take.

Why don't you answer the original question below then without taking the piss?
    Pyjamarama wrote: »
    So who do we get in so?!?

No I don't see how it is possible. What players are you getting rid of? Fair enough we'll drop a few like Johnson(hopefully), Gerrard etc. The fact though is due to last summers approach the squad is quite large as it needed to be to compete in the CL and the PL. I don't see us giving up on many of those players. People like Borini, Balotelli have hardly played so getting rid of them won't have any real impact. I expect we'll sign 3/4 players. The squad without European football will be quite large regardless of business we do in the summer unless we loan or clear out large portions of the squad.

So we will be losing 3/4 players. And we will have European football. I think I am missing something. Are you discounting European games because they are not champions league? We still need to field a team for these games.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Most of your posts are equally as ridiculous... should we take them all as you taking the piss?

I lol'd, well played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Why are people critical of Rodgers? He's doing a good job. Mourinho or Guardiola wouldn't take this squad into the top 4.

United and City have at least 4 proven World Class players each- Liverpool have precisely none.

Re Johnson the Echo says he has been told he will not be retained next season. No surprise of course but nice to have it pretty much confirmed. There has been chatter about a certain Barcelona right back being free and their 3rd choice Martin Montoya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Coutinho, Sterling, Henderson, Ibe and Can to be sold in a swap deal for 2 freddos, a chomp, a pack of golf balls, an assorted pack containing favourites like Roy of the Rover, Dan Bar, Wham bar and a packet of banshee bones. Oh, and a 12 year old labelled the 'next Messi' from Liechtenstein.

Usually the way it goes doesn't it? Am I doing this right? Sell our best and buy for the future. Then when that future potential becomes what we bought it for in the first place we sell it off. Instead of maybe, I dunno, holding on to them and competing.

Wouldn't mind a Freddo though now tbh who's boiling the kettle?

Why are people critical of Rodgers? He's doing a good job. Mourinho or Guardiola wouldn't take this squad into the top 4.

United and City have at least 4 proven World Class players each- Liverpool have precisely none.

No harm in being critical.......he does have his flaws. Some are expecting too much but I think the majority of posters here realise he's doing a good job but does make mistakes, which are open to criticism. As long as its constructive criticism I dont have a problem with it.

So we will be losing 3/4 players. And we will have European football. I think I am missing something. Are you discounting European games because they are not champions league? We still need to field a team for these games.

What's going on here? Have you read my post or what the post was replying to? Someone was making the point that they would prefer if we miss out on CL football that we also miss out on the EL. I think it would be a good idea to have European football next season even if that is EL football as we have a squad capable of dealing with it and a manager who needs to learn how to rotate that squad to cope with the demands of European and premiership football together. I'm unclear what you are asking me in relation to all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

looking at this forum recently I'm beginning to think next year won't be our year. :confused:

Just for starters if either of those were managing us we would be in the top four because the likes of Sanchez would have jumped at the idea of moving to us.

Just for starters if either of those were managing us we would be in the top four because the likes of Sanchez would have jumped at the idea of moving to us.

You just changed the whole basis of the point being made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

looking at this forum recently I'm beginning to think next year won't be our year. :confused:

Sturridge does, good enough for me :) Our year.

Just a pity he'll be injured for all of it. Will he still get a medal?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9802167/liverpool-striker-daniel-sturridge-confident-liverpool-can-compete-for-premier-league-title-next-season

• Advertisement

What's going on here? Have you read my post or what the post was replying to? Someone was making the point that they would prefer if we miss out on CL football that we also miss out on the EL. I think it would be a good idea to have European football next season even if that is EL football as we have a squad capable of dealing with it and a manager who needs to learn how to rotate that squad to cope with the demands of European and premiership football together. I'm unclear what you are asking me in relation to all this?

Crossed wires, apologies. My original post was in response to the suggestion we'd have a big squad next year and no games. Maybe I did not read back far enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sturridge out injured apparently 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

This is exactly the type of rubbish I am talking about. Lending things like ego some intangible quality needed to manage Liverpool is ridiculous. Rodgers is a master at creating this character with all these intangible qualities which football fans eat up.

Its not a coincidence nearly all successful managers seem to have very high opinion of themselves.

Anyway your original post comparing someone managing Liverpool and someone managing Swansea is moronic.

You just changed the whole basis of the point being made.

The squad wouldn't be the squad if they were managers. You can't have your cake and eat it. Just because Rodgers has built a squad not capable of making top 4 doesn't mean you can the point and go oh but no manager could get top 4 with this squad. The others wouldn't have built anything tha resembles this squad, if this squad isn't capable then that is on Rodgers to an extent no matter how much outside his control.

Rodgers draw as a manager or should I say lack of it is a massive component when you consider we already operate under the geographical one. I am beginning to think that you must them supercede that with a manager who can convince big names to sign. The two together are a disaster.

klose wrote: »

Eh, thought he was fit?

Keeping him for Villa I wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I joked with a Villa fan today that Danny wouldn't get injured tonight because he'd get injured before it instead. :(

You know that for a fact do ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just pay Sterling the £420k a week at least he doesn't get injured.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Why don't you answer the original question below then without taking the piss?

Klopp or De Boer, Pellegrini if City sack him, wouldn't mind Rafa back either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I moderate the gullibility forum so my visits here are scarce enough to be fair. Besides, just received a PM from another poster on there who's promised me a date with his sister, Penelope Cruz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ibe straight back in the team.

Wow.

Its not a coincidence nearly all successful managers seem to have very high opinion of themselves.

Anyway your original post comparing someone managing Liverpool and someone managing Swansea is moronic.
    You know that for a fact do ya?

You seem to have taken my response personally. It is the internet, relax.

I didn't compare them, I compared a time when they were both managing the same club at a time when they both might move onto something better. You know that Brendan also managed Swansea a few years ago?

Yes I do know for a fact that had Mourinho or Guardiola been managing us we would have signed better players and have a better squad. I don't think that is really the moon landing was faked stuff but maybe that is just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ibe straight back in the team.

Wow.

As a winger too and not as a wingback, will be interesting to see how he goes. I assume/hope sturridge is being wrapped in cotton wool for the game at wembley.

I've had it with Sturridge

Sell all the strikers and buy Benteke, Austin and Ings. That'll do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Injured every 4.5 games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

As a winger too and not as a wingback, will be interesting to see how he goes. I assume/hope sturridge is being wrapped in cotton wool for the game at wembley.

Ibe could still be wingback Johnson Lovren can in a back 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's no wonder Sterling wants 570k a week when he sees how many games Sturridge misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lol he took Villarreal to the CL semi finals & Malaga to the QF. The PL is well behind the other top leagues tactically.

:confused:

lol what? He's the manager and had a good record before City. What the tactical standard is or isn't in the Premiership is irrelevant to an assessment of what he was expected to do with City in European competition and how he has stacked up against same. He has had a very good squad with an excellent spine and struggled in Europe with City. And that failure to live up to his prior European performances with City is a big part of why his imminent dismissal will be justified.

I don't know what your lolling at or why you are suggesting I don't know who Pelligrini was before City hired him?

Ibe starts because Markovic is pure useless

You seem to have taken my response personally. It is the internet, relax.

I didn't compare them, I compared a time when they were both managing the same club at a time when they both might move onto something better. You know that Brendan also managed Swansea a few years ago?

Yes I do know for a fact that had Mourinho or Guardiola been managing us we would have signed better players and have a better squad. I don't think that is really the moon landing was faked stuff but maybe that is just me.

If you think your opinion on who Mourinho or Guardiola would have signed is anything more than mindless speculation then I'm not gonna waste my time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement