Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »
    I, er, believe that 'Harry' is 50 this year, so in Simpsons terms a senior.

Happy landmark birthday (sometime this year).

50? Yeah right he is at least 86. 50 years on boards maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Only thing sterling is doing is driving down the price we could get for him..not surprised the owners won't stump up for him,would be a huge investment for a player who has a lot to learn yet..them Americans would have hired people to check up on him long ago I'd say,and perhaps its those who are leaking the stuff in order to weaken sterlings position contract wise...

If he gets injured and looses that pace he is just another decent young player ..value halved

Edit. Obviously based on the club wanting to sign him up long term.
    I concur with this, too big a coincidence these films coming out now, they are being leaked. Don't fcuk with the Yankees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

So your trying to tell me that being on boards rapidly ages you .. Yeah I can see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So FSG have assigned a man to befriend Sterling so to film him doing bad/silly things. Riiiiiiiight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So if we are going with these pop-cultural references :P does that make Brendan Rodgers - Stringer Bell?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

This time last year we were battling it out with City for the title, now we're set to battle it out with them for 4th place. What a difference a season makes, as they say in the States.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So if we are going with these pop-cultural references :P does that make Brendan Rodgers - Stringer Bell?

More like Tommy Carcetti. He wanted the job but didn't know what he was getting himself into or what kind of shady characters he'd have to deal with.

Fergie was Clay Davis.

5starpool wrote: »
    More like Tommy Carcetti. He wanted the job but didn't know what he was getting himself into or what kind of shady characters he'd have to deal with.

Fergie was Clay Davis.

I was thinking John W would have been Carcetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Sakho out of the Villa game for sure.

To be honest that's a huge blow with the form Benteke's in. He'd be the one I'd want to look after him

It's going to be a tough game imo.

Big, big test for Lovren. He's had his critics and this will be a big stage and a big challenge in an on-fire Benteke. Could potentially be a pivotal point in his LFC career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Morzadec wrote: »
    Big, big test for Lovren. He's had his critics and this will be a big stage and a big challenge in an on-fire Benteke. Could potentially be a pivotal point in his LFC career

Yeah it'll prob be the game where we defo decide to get rid of him :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

kfallon wrote: »
    Yeah it'll prob be the game where we defo decide to get rid of him :P

Well if Benteke bullies him and scores and we go out in what is now our most important game of the season, it really could be!

Morzadec wrote: »
    Well if Benteke bullies him and scores and we go out in what is now our most important game of the season, it really could be!

Skrtel has a history of being bullied by players and it didn't end his time at the club.

Lovren along with all the other under preforming players this season will be given another season along with the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

You'd imagine skrtel will come in for Lovren against villa anyways, not sure if skrtel can keep his form like in the back back 3 going however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Skrtel has a history of being bullied by players and it didn't end his time at the club.

Lovren along with all the other under preforming players this season will be given another season along with the manager.

I have never really felt Skrtel gets bullied. A fair few problems but I would't have said that was one of them.

A future for Lovren is certainly looking bleak at LFC, not as bleak as say Ballotelli, but still bleak.

The finances of losing 15m on a transfer in the space of a year might save him in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

noodler wrote: »
    I have never really felt Skrtel gets bullied. A fair few problems but I would't have said that was one of them.

I think he got well beaten in the air against Oldham a few years back and since then fans have had this 'gets bullied' label on him. Physical strikers are a handful for any defender, Skrtel isn't an exception but he doesn't get as much trouble from them as is often made out.
    A future for Lovren is certainly looking bleak at LFC, not as bleak as say Ballotelli, but still bleak.

The finances of losing 15m on a transfer in the space of a year might save him in the end.

Thought he was okay last night until pressure from midfield started to come on - then he looked nervey. He played two or three lovely balls over the top in the first half and something that Carragher pointed out as a weakness earlier in the season - he looked more willing to cover the flanks rather than stay central, he got out well to cover Moreno a few times I thought.

I'd keep him tbh unless we get a ridiculous chance to cut our losses i.e. a stupid bid - don't see it happening though. He could turn it around but he'd need some serious talking to over the summer from Steve Peters for it to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

noodler wrote: »
    There just seems to be alot of sympathy for Carver from the old pros in the media depsite the massive discrepancies in the managerial skills of the two men as you say.

Serious? Well I asked seriously if anyone had noticed it or thought it?

Is that what you mean?

No, that's not what I mean. I meant that comparing the two is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

D'Agger wrote: »
    I think he got well beaten in the air against Oldham a few years back and since then fans have had this 'gets bullied' label on him. Physical strikers are a handful for any defender, Skrtel isn't an exception but he doesn't get as much trouble from them as is often made out.

Thought he was okay last night until pressure from midfield started to come on - then he looked nervey. He played two or three lovely balls over the top in the first half and something that Carragher pointed out as a weakness earlier in the season - he looked more willing to cover the flanks rather than stay central, he got out well to cover Moreno a few times I thought.

I'd keep him tbh unless we get a ridiculous chance to cut our losses i.e. a stupid bid - don't see it happening though. He could turn it around but he'd need some serious talking to over the summer from Steve Peters for it to happen

That's when it started alright. People hate to admit it but Skrtel is our best defender and has been solid for a few years now. He has excelled in the middle CB sweeper role

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

And we know what happened him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

So go with 2 or 3 cbs in the villa game? Its a tough one can't really decide they both have advantages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

So go with 2 or 3 cbs in the villa game? Its a tough one can't really decide they both have advantages.

2 for me, the 3 at the back had got stale, teams figured out how to stifle us, we played well last night with 4 at the back, would be happy to see the same against villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No, that's not what I mean. I meant that comparing the two is ridiculous.

Cool story bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Unless they try to spring a surprise Villa will probably be going with 2 up front. That mean we can go 3 at the back if needed. If they play 3 up front we will have to go 4 at the back as our wing backs can get pulled out of position which was costing us against United and Arsenal.

I think last night was Rodgers testing a new tactic for the Villa game and expect Coutinho to start in the same position if Sturridge isn't ready. Possibly Sterling (if he isnt dropped) and Ibe (even though Lallana would probably cause more hassle) against Clarke and possibly Lowton

I'll be interested to see how Villa midfield set up. Will it be wingers or with someone just behind the strikers?

2 for me, the 3 at the back had got stale, teams figured out how to stifle us, we played well last night with 4 at the back, would be happy to see the same against villa.

Ya which 2 do ya pick then though? On form its can and skrtl but don't know how they would work together in a back 2 and which one gets pushed to lcb.

T-K-O wrote: »
    That's when it started alright. People hate to admit it but Skrtel is our best defender and has been solid for a few years now. He has excelled in the middle CB sweeper role

In fairness Rodgers remarked on how badly he was beaten after that game which isn't like him to single players out - he got absolutely bate hands down that day!

Agreed though, the last few years he's been a fantastic, solid defender for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Who's missing for villa Sunday ?

ricero wrote: »
    Who's missing for villa Sunday ?

Ibe (cup tied)
    Sakho
    Enrique (I presume)
    Sturridge (possibly)
    Balo (might as well be)
    Lallana (not sure)

Mr.H wrote: »
    Unless they try top spring a surprise Villa will probably be going with 2 up front. That mean we can go 3 at the back if needed. If they play 3 up front we will have to go 4 at the back as our wing backs can get pulled out of position which was costing us against United and Arsenal.

I think last night was Rodgers testing a new tactic for the Villa game and expect Coutinho to start in the same position if Sturridge isn't ready. Possibly Sterling (if he isnt dropped) and Ibe (even though Lallana would probably cause more hassle against Clarke and possibly Lowton

I'll be interested to see how Villa midfield set up. Will it be wingers or with someone just behind the strikers?

Good point on the defence, inho in the false 9 was a crazy move but it really worked although you could say Newcastle were fairly slack when it came to closing him down, ya can't say the brodge doesn't think outside the box. Really hope Danny is back Sunday tho.

So Gerrard and Skrtel are back............... to be honest I kept thinking this was the last game they would miss. That 3 games went fast.

Migs
    Glen----Can---Skrtel---Moreno
    ----Hendo--Lucas--Allen
    Coutinho
    --Markovic
    Sterling

Lallana for Allen and Danny for Markovic in the second half with bringing Gerrard on for extra time if we need it

Thats what I'd like to see which means it wont happen. Possibly same line up as last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This summer we need to plan for life without Sturridge. Not because he should be sold, but because he can in no way be relied upon to ever be fit.
    If we enter next season with him as our number sole number 1 striker, it will have been another failure of a window imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Welcome back Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This summer we need to plan for life without Sturridge. Not because he should be sold, but because he can in no way be relied upon to ever be fit.
    If we enter next season with him as our number sole number 1 striker, it will have been another failure of a window imo.

If Borini and Balotelli are on the way out as well that would mean up to 3 new strikers/forwards. We won't have CL or the Suarez money this summer either.

I know Origi is due back but he's 20 and we've seen what happens when 20 year olds are thrown in at the deep end.

Rodgers and the transfer committee have their work cut out for them.

Balotelli, Borini, Lambert - 20 million probably

Sturridge, Benteke, Origi, Ings, Sinclair. - 25 million as the cheap solution. As someone mentioned having two of the Belgians working together day in day out plus Mignolet to shoot at could help everyone settle quickly.

Balotelli, Borini, Lambert - 20 million probably

Sturridge, Benteke, Origi, Ings, Sinclair. - 25 million as the cheap solution. As someone mentioned having two of the Belgians working together day in day out plus Mignolet to shoot at could help everyone settle quickly.
    We should probably sign Kompany & Courtois to be safe Harry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Our best is defender is Sakho easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

We should probably sign Kompany & Courtois to be safe Harry

Get Hazard in too, can't be too safe ;)

MD1990 wrote: »

Skrtel better than Sakho imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

So FSG have assigned a man to befriend Sterling so to film him doing bad/silly things. Riiiiiiiight

Who said anything about befriending anyone.. Yanks are experts at digging up dirt on people

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

In fairness Rodgers remarked on how badly he was beaten after that game which isn't like him to single players out - he got absolutely bate hands down that day!

Agreed though, the last few years he's been a fantastic, solid defender for us.

Skrtel is a fantastic defender when put alongside Kolo and the hapless Lovren alright, however in the grand scheme of things Skrtel is an accident waiting to happen every single game. It's telling how poor the options we have at Centre Back are, that Skrtel is held in such high regard IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Sky are about to hit an all time low. In a few minutes they will have a laughing gas expert on Sky Sports News talking about the side effects.

Hoping he comes on and takes the mick and starts carrying on like the laughing policeman.

Good grief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Every year Skrtel puts a few decent games together and people forget that he's been a liability for us overall. His goals last season masked a lot of ridiculous errors you won't find in a top class defender.
    Skrtel is a decent squad player but as long as he's first choice CB, we won't be good enough. Sakho has potential to be a much better defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sky are about to hit an all time low. In a few minutes they will have a laughing gas expert on Sky Sports News talking about the side effects.

Hoping he comes on and takes the mick and starts carrying on like the laughing policeman.

Good grief

Yeah they are trying to make a big deal out of it. Don't think very many Liverpool fans are all that bothered about it. Most worrying thing from Strerling's perspective is he's got some "mates" who are willing to make a few hundred quid from filming him and selling it to the tabloids. Get rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Good grief

I'd, pardon the pun, laugh if the "expert" appeared dressed as a clown and preceded to do the whole interview as sincere as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Good grief

Using three of the most recent examples I can think of; incidents like this, the Rooney-Bardsley incident, talk of Ronaldo being punished for his 'calm down' celebration against Barca two weeks ago are really turning me off modern day football. It's fcuking pathetic. Is there anything you can do nowadays that some over sensitive pathetic journalist or higher up in football won't have a problem with and feel the need to make an absolute non story about it. All this 'role model' bullsh1t talk when it's the very people spouting on about this that are making mountains out of mole hills making these footballers out to be spawns of Satan when there's nothing to be talked about. Fcuking sad!

mosstin wrote: »
    Every year Skrtel puts a few decent games together and people forget that he's been a liability for us overall. His goals last season masked a lot of ridiculous errors you won't find in a top class defender.
    Skrtel is a decent squad player but as long as he's first choice CB, we won't be good enough. Sakho has potential to be a much better defender.

And everyone with that opinion usually tells us how solid Sahko is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Good grief

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/04/14/raheem-sterling-to-be-flogged-at-anfield-after-taking-laughing-gas/

MD1990 wrote: »

That is based on an opinion, you're opinion. Fact remains Skrtel has been our most consistent , reliable CB this year.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Using three of the most recent examples I can think of; incidents like this, the Rooney-Bardsley incident, talk of Ronaldo being punished for his 'calm down' celebration against Barca two weeks ago are really turning me off modern day football. It's fcuking pathetic. Is there anything you can do nowadays that some over sensitive pathetic journalist or higher up in football won't have a problem with and feel the need to make an absolute non story about it. All this 'role model' bullsh1t talk when it's the very people spouting on about this that are making mountains out of mole hills making these footballers out to be spawns of Satan when there's nothing to be talked about. Fcuking sad!

Imagine the reaction nowadays if the modern day equivalent of Tony Adams or Jan Molby spent some time in jail for drink driving as I think they both did in the 80's?

I'm sure there are even worse example from before that. I'd imagine some of the crap George Best got up to then would see him hung drawn and quartered these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That is based on an opinion, you're opinion.

While not directed at me... the above is correct.
    Fact remains Skrtel has been our most consistent , reliable CB this year.

However this isn't. This is your opinion, not fact.

Is that really the important thing, rather than the question "Do we even have anyone better in defence than both Skrtel and Sakho?"

Can is grand and all but He isnt better defensively than either of them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement