Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

5starpool wrote: »
    Imagine the reaction nowadays if the modern day equivalent of Tony Adams or Jan Molby spent some time in jail for drink driving as I think they both did in the 80's?

I'm sure there are even worse example from before that. I'd imagine some of the crap George Best got up to then would see him hung drawn and quartered these days.

Truth be told. What will it be like 20 years down the line? Liverpool player suspended for consuming chocolate on Easter Sunday sharing an egg with his kid. An expert in with Sky on the connection chocolate has with obesity. Or what about the United chumbag who inhaled helium from a balloon at a party and began to mock someone with the funny helium voice. Or what about the sex hungry Chelsea star who went to the cinema 3 days before a big game to watch 70 Shades of Grey? Or an Arsenal player celebrating a goal which in turn made a 7 year old Spurs fan cry? Bleak fcuking future ahead if today's bullsh1t is anything to go by. Sterling will be looked back upon as a gangster for his latest 'incident'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

T-K-O wrote: »
    That is based on an opinion, you're opinion. Fact remains Skrtel has been our most consistent , reliable CB this year.
    So my opinion is an opinion & your opinion is a fact:confused:.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MD1990 wrote: »
    So my opinion is an opinion & your opinion is a fact:confused:.

I think he is saying both of those are just expressed opinons, not just your one.

It's obvious the real fact is that Johnson is our best defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sampdoria ready to offer Mario Balotelli a way out of Liverpool FC this summer
    He told La Gazzetta dello Sport: “I would take him -- he’d be the real Balotelli again here. He wouldn’t have too much pressure here in Genoa.”

Ferrero did claim, however, that Balotelli’s hefty wages - he earns around £100,000 at present - had become a problem for the 24-year-old.

He said: “He’s lost his hunger. He’s earning too much. If he was only on bread and water, he’d be a champion again.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/sampdoria-ready-offer-mario-balotelli-9040914?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bread and water sounds like a decent deal for his type of return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

tok9 wrote: »
    While not directed at me... the above is correct.

However this isn't. This is your opinion, not fact.

Over the entire season skrtel has been selected more often, in fact he's probably the first cb named on the team sheet. The former is fact the latter and opinion. Just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

mosstin wrote: »
    Every year Skrtel puts a few decent games together and people forget that he's been a liability for us overall. His goals last season masked a lot of ridiculous errors you won't find in a top class defender.
    Skrtel is a decent squad player but as long as he's first choice CB, we won't be good enough. Sakho has potential to be a much better defender.

Potential is all well and good but this season Skrtel has been better than Sakho, ya cant say Sakho isn't prone to making mistakes and until he sorts that out he won't be good enough either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Potential is all well and good but this season Skrtel has been better than Sakho, ya cant say Sakho isn't prone to making mistakes and until he sorts that out he won't be good enough either.

This, it amazes me that srtkel is nothing but a squad play yet Sakho is the answer..

The guts of 40 million on lovern and Sakho is poor to say the least. I think and hope they will improve over time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote: »
    Is that really the important thing, rather than the question "Do we even have anyone better in defence than both Skrtel and Sakho?"

Can is grand and all but He isnt better defensively than either of them

Well the debate was who is better, but ya is not ideal that they are the best options, could Can be molded into a CB he probably wouldn't be happy about it but hes quick and very good carrying the ball forward out of defence. After the Lovren transfer (who I expected to be successful) going out and spending again is no guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

WealthyB wrote: »
    Skrtel is a fantastic defender when put alongside Kolo and the hapless Lovren alright, however in the grand scheme of things Skrtel is an accident waiting to happen every single game. It's telling how poor the options we have at Centre Back are, that Skrtel is held in such high regard IMO

Skrtel has cut down on individual errors massively in the last two years or so and, to me, looks far more solid. The idea that what's next to him is dross making him look good doesn't stand for me. Even with Sahko playing his best stuff for us this year, I'd still put Skrtel down as being more consistent for us and I'm a huge fan of Sahko.

I strongly disagree that he's an accident waiting to happen in every game - that's over the top. All CBs make mistakes, Kompany, Koschielny, Terry - no CB is above a slip up and yes Skrtel has made plenty in his LFC career but for me, in the last two seasons or so, he's been a huge plus for the club, rather than a negative.
    mosstin wrote: »
    Every year Skrtel puts a few decent games together and people forget that he's been a liability for us overall. His goals last season masked a lot of ridiculous errors you won't find in a top class defender.
    Skrtel is a decent squad player but as long as he's first choice CB, we won't be good enough. Sakho has potential to be a much better defender.

This is half the issue for me - I haven't seen anybody, nor am I saying that Skrtel is a 'top class defender' - he's a very solid, quality CB for me - he's not in the top bracket, but he's one of the better CBs in the league and does a good job for us.

I was hoping Lovern would come in and take pressure from Skrtel who isn't a natural leader at the back and needs an organiser next to him i.e. when Carra was around. This failed spectacularly but I think Skrtel can be commended in how he's done this year - very few individual errors, playing a new defensive line with inexperience either side. Credit where credit is due in my opinion.

Sahko can be a top bracket CB I think he's still only 25 and looks to have everything in his locker, he needs to hone his skills - decision making in particular, but he's a real talent & I love having him at the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Everyone has their hate figures - Skrtel is an easy one with his history of shirt pulling and getting bullied by League One hard men. Sakho is awkward, Henderson can't use the ball and runs funny, Allen is weak, blah blah blah. Every club support base does this - I bet some are tearing strips off Suarez on the Barca forums after his game the other night and reckon he is a waste of money.

Teams that punch above their "player weight" are those that work well as a collective in the right system - Skrtel works well in a three at the back, he isn't so hot in a two. No midfielder works well in a two when one of them is Gerrard, its why Rodgers changed things. No one would be on any players back much this season if we'd had an actual functioning forward, but we don't and despite more clean sheets than almost any other club the defenders are getting it in the neck. Cos its easy to do with no strikers to attack for being crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

MD1990 wrote: »
    Our best is defender is Sakho easily.

disagree..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Skrtel is our best defender. That's a problem of course, but he isn't to blame for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This summer we need to plan for life without Sturridge. Not because he should be sold, but because he can in no way be relied upon to ever be fit.
    If we enter next season with him as our number sole number 1 striker, it will have been another failure of a window imo.

Absolutely. He just can't be trusted to be our main striker. I wouldn't mind getting rid of all the strikers barring Sturridge and bringing in some top
    quality ones.

• Advertisement

Yeah a bit of a shame about Sturridge but I'd be willing to bet last year will end up being an outlier ceiling to his career he never gets back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Sampdoria ready to offer Mario Balotelli a way out of Liverpool FC this summer

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/sampdoria-ready-offer-mario-balotelli-9040914?

sound like the script to Rocky III

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah a bit of a shame about Sturridge but I'd be willing to bet last year will end up being an outlier ceiling to his career he never gets back to.

I really hope not, but sadly it may be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3038574/Liverpool-duo-Raheem-Sterling-Jordon-Ibe-pictured-shisha-pipe.html

2790E43400000578-3038574-Liverpool_players_Raheem_Sterling_and_Jordon_Ibe_have_been_pictu-a-3_1429030864420.jpg

So Sterling has been pictured again with a shisha pipe. This time with Ibe.

IM OUTRAGED with the state of Ibe's jeans.

On a serious note. These seem to be older photos. Sterling has changed his hair since these were taken. But the lads would want to reevaluate who there friends with if photo's keep finding their way into the papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Think sterling and Ibe need new friends, current ones are stitching em up.

• Advertisement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3038574/Liverpool-duo-Raheem-Sterling-Jordon-Ibe-pictured-shisha-pipe.html

2790E43400000578-3038574-Liverpool_players_Raheem_Sterling_and_Jordon_Ibe_have_been_pictu-a-3_1429030864420.jpg

So Sterling has been pictured again with a shisha pipe. This time with Ibe.

IM OUTRAGED with the state of Ibe's jeans.

Two FANTA-stic players.

Fanta!? Jaysis the sugar in them yokes!

NukaCola wrote: »
    Fanta!? Jaysis the sugar in them yokes!

What about the sugar in cola NukaCola?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Two FANTA-stic players.

Brilliant

A monastic retreat may be in order the way this is developing.

LOAN WATCH

Luis Alberto----Málaga - Not in squad
    S. Ojo
    Wigan - Unused Sub
    J. Sinclair
    Wigan - Not in squad
    João Carlos----Brighton - 74 minutes in 0-2 defeat
    D. Origi
    Lille - 76 minutes 1-0 win.
    J. Williams
    Notts - full game in 1-1 draw
    Tiago Ilori
    Bordeaux - unused sub
    K. Stewart
    Burton Albion - last 5 minutes in 0-1 win
    A. Wisdom
    West Bromwich - unused sub again
    S. Coates
    Sunderland - unused sub
    Iago Aspas----Sevilla - not in squad
    D. Ward
    Morecambe - Played full game in 3-1 win
    L. Jones
    Accrington - full game in 2-2 away draw

Notes - Origi really should have opened the scoring - blazed over as he struck a bouncing cross ball.
    WBA are leaking goals like crazy now and still Wisdom cannot get a game. Ilori back on bench with the first choice RCB fit again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Skrtel is the best CB at the club imo.

One thing for sure, Loveren is by far the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Good point on the defence, inho in the false 9 was a crazy move but it really worked although you could say Newcastle were fairly slack when it came to closing him down, ya can't say the brodge doesn't think outside the box. Really hope Danny is back Sunday tho.

If he isn't I would seriously consider playing Stevie as the falses number 9 , I reckon he would do the best at it from the current crop of players .
    Sterling and coutinho have done a good job at it but Stevie is better in front of goal then them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

If he isn't I would seriously consider playing Stevie as the falses number 9 , I reckon he would do the best at it from the current crop of players .
    Sterling and coutinho have done a good job at it but Stevie is better in front of goal then them.

Part of the job of the false nine is to constantly close down defenders which I can't see Gerrard doing for any length of time. I don't think Couthino should be played there either, he can get too isolated and I think around the centre circle he starts influencing the game more. While not ideal I thought the team looked more balanced when Borini came on yesterday, just having a focal point in attack and someone to fight it out with defenders in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Evening chumbags

Ya he's a better finisher but he just doesn't have the legs for the job it requires a lot of running he's just not cut out for it, I think the only place where he would make any impression on the game is in DM but only with skrtel behind him in a back 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

raheem's hand :eek::eek:surprised ibe hasnt become pregnant after that pic was takin:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Evening chumbags

I don't know why, but chumbags makes me chuckle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

5starpool wrote: »
    I think he is saying both of those are just expressed opinons, not just your one.

It's obvious the real fact is that Johnson is our best defender.
    For a while last night, I thought Johnsons first name was 'Poor control by'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

The Lovren bashing here is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

He'll be criticised til he shows he isn't a complete flop. That's how football works. He's been exceptionally poor for us. And I'm one of the "apologists".

Hes been ****ing awful lets call a spade a spade, 20 million pound centre half me arse.

Sakho had a very shaky start to his Liverpool career as did Skrtel.

Sakho had a very shaky start to his Liverpool career as did Skrtel.

None nowhere near as bad as Lovren however, skrtel and sakho arrived without a word of English either. He could turn it around, I hope he turns it around but there's no defending really how bad he's been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

klose wrote: »
    None nowhere near as bad as Lovren however, skrtel and sakho arrived without a word of English either. He could turn it around, I hope he turns it around but there's no defending really how bad he's been.

Not by Lovren anyway!

Amirite guys? Amirite?

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »

Skrtel was dominated in his first game against a non league team whose name is escaping me at the moment, he looked like a 12 year old child who was after winning a competition to play for Liverpool. It took him months to start performing.

Lovren is coming from a different system where he was used to having 2 excellent defensive midfielders in front of him giving protection. I would give him a pass for this season as there's no doubt his confidence was shot early doors with Gerrard in front of him allowing midfielders and attackers run past him without putting up any sort of fight. If he is still the same next year, then by all means castigate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Skrtel was dominated in his first game against a non league team whose name is escaping me at the moment, he looked like a 12 year old child who was after winning a competition to play for Liverpool. It took him months to start performing.

Lovren is coming from a different system where he was used to having 2 excellent defensive midfielders in front of him giving protection. I would give him a pass for this season as there's no doubt his confidence was shot early doors with Gerrard in front of him allowing midfielders and attackers run past him without putting up any sort of fight. If he is still the same next year, then by all means castigate him.

Havant & waterlooville

Sell Sterling for £100m and buy Memphis Depay for £30m that sounds right to me.

The £100m value is based on a player wanting £625k a week wages .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The £100m value is based on a player wanting £625k a week wages .

Look I'd keep him, if he's willing to drop his demands from £850k to £625k.

Lovren had already spent time in the league; in England; speaks the language. He cost a lot of money for a center back. And he's been rubbish. Hence he is being criticised.

Again, why do people feel obliged to defend such a signing despite continued underperformance?

Memphis Depay transfer nonsense

Bleecher Report
    Pace, promise and productivity link Memphis Depay and Juan Iturbe, two players Liverpool are said to be courting.

A report by Spanish publication Fichajes (h/t Jamie Sanderson of the Metro)

http://www.fichajes.net/noticias/liverpool-toma-ventaja-depay-20150413.html
    English
    French
    Spanish
    Liverpool would be in a better position than Manchester United to get done with the Memphis Depay services, and is that the PSV Eindhoven player would have little progress in their conversations with the set of Anfield. According to the British newspaper, Daily Mirror, both clubs would have submitted two bids by the attacker who would exceed 25 million euros.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-ahead-man-utd-memphis-5515436
    Liverpool have apparently moved ahead of Manchester United in the race for PSV's Memphis Depay (Fichajes)

So where did this story originate?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-united-vs-liverpool-transfer-5500496
    Anfield chiefs are only prepared to go to £20million for the PSV Eindhoven and Holland winger but their bitter rivals will meet his £25m asking price

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Lovren had already spent time in the league; in England; speaks the language. He cost a lot of money for a center back. And he's been rubbish. Hence he is being criticised.

Again, why do people feel obliged to defend such a signing despite continued underperformance?

For the reasons I mentioned above?
    You seem as though you want to just slate every signing for some reason.

Liverpool prepared to go to £20m club wants £25m where have I heard that before :)

I said £30m in jest with my comment but jesz Liverpool just get thses transfers done ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

For the reasons I mentioned above?
    You seem as though you want to just slate every signing for some reason.

We all want him to be a good signing but unfortunately he's been very poor.

Crazy decision making at times and he never looks comfortable.

Lovren has been and continues to be poor for us. He has a massive mistake in him every game.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    We all want him to be a good signing but unfortunately he's been very poor.

Crazy decision making at times and he never looks comfortable.

Not all players come in and hit the ground running. All you have to do is look at our 2 current best central midfielders, both were ridiculed from all areas and look at them now.

It goes back to what i said last week, a lot of less knowledgeable people want instant results or replacements.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement