Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    IF you all had the a vote, Would you replace Rogers with Klopp for the new season?

Nope. But if Rodgers left Klopp would be my first choice. I don't really see why we would replace our manager though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Lovren has been poor this season, a disappointing signing for sure, but the majority of fans seem ready to jump on him for any mistake. I know the circumstances are different, but can and moreno have made their fair share of defensive errors and yet theirs are usually greeted with silence (barring the odd poster calling moreno out for the awful defender that he is). It seems like lovren is the new hate figure like henderson and lucas before him. I know hes been poor but its as though its cool to have digs at lovren but never other players. Id say about 90% of the player criticism on this forum is directed at lovren, if we were consistent in our criticisms it would be far less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I don't know why people keep talking about Klopp.

I hope Rodgers can go on and cement a legacy for himself at the club, hopefully become a legend on par with Paisley, Shankly etc. Big ask but I think he can do it if he is given the proper backing from FSG. Liverpool have played their best football for godknowshowlong under Rodgers. Houlier, Hodgson, Benitez, Dalglish... None of these managers got Liverpool playing such enthralling football.

Maybe two big signings and then renegotiate a lot of the players contracts and we are looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    IF you all had the a vote, Would you replace Rogers with Klopp for the new season?

Yes if I was out of mind on hippy crack and making 837k a week.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think we'll be in the market for a manager this summer either. I also tink Klopp has been pretty seriously sounded out by either City or Madrid for this summer and will end up there, as volatile as both those jobs are. If he wants to try to move into the 'superstar manager' eilte with the likes of Guardiola and Mourinho he'd have to get success at a big spending club I think. If he went to a club like Inter/Liverpool/Napoli (great clubs but not at the top right now) and did less than stellar it would tarnish him more than failing at Madrid I think, odd as it sounds, and the likes of those clubs would still be willing to take a punt at him.

I'm not saying City are anything like in the same 'big club' league as Real, but money talks as well, FFP or not.

• Advertisement

MR NINE wrote: »
    Lovren has been poor this season, a disappointing signing for sure, but the majority of fans seem ready to jump on him for any mistake. I know the circumstances are different, but can and moreno have made their fair share of defensive errors and yet theirs are usually greeted with silence (barring the odd poster calling moreno out for the awful defender that he is). It seems like lovren is the new hate figure like henderson and lucas before him. I know hes been poor but its as though its cool to have digs at lovren but never other players. Id say about 90% of the player criticism on this forum is directed at lovren, if we were consistent in our criticisms it would be far less than that.

It's not cool man... It really isn't, but Lovren is shocking. Rodgers did put a lot of the blame on Mignolets shoulders for the early season - that was to deflect blame from basically the entire defence (and wider team) but.... They were shocking and the major problem was Lovren.

Everytime there was a ball which should have been Skrtels, Lovren was going for it, the ****ing eejit. He unbalanced the entire defence which then rocked the team. The problem was Rodgers persisted with Lovren for the first what, 16 games or so? He was convinced he would come good, which he did not. Even now after coming back in, he makes one major error a game... Even when you think he's pulling it together. He's an overpriced liability.

The team's performance picked up massively and we turned our season around once Lovren was dropped and Sakho came in. Mignolets form has of course improved as well but I never saw the early season as his fault... He had no defence in front of him.

What still galls me about Lovren was when he was suggesting he will be a future captain of Liverpool. What? :pac: Have a decent game first mate!

Supporters can have opinions which sometimes means not being impressed by their clubs staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yes if I was out of mind on hippy crack and making 837k a week.
    Is that you, Raheem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep talking about Klopp.

I hope Rodgers can go on and cement a legacy for himself at the club, hopefully become a legend on par with Paisley, Shankly etc. Big ask but I think he can do it if he is given the proper backing from FSG. Liverpool have played their best football for godknowshowlong under Rodgers. Houlier, Hodgson, Benitez, Dalglish... None of these managers got Liverpool playing such enthralling football.

Maybe two big signings and then renegotiate a lot of the players contracts and we are looking good.

Oh god this is all so wrong IMO. He has had backing, lots in fact, him and the transfer committee squandered it on buying the wrong players at the wrong time.

Enthralling football doesn't matter if you are unsuccessful. Pretty failure is all it is.

Lumping Hodgson in with Benitez, Houlier and Dalglish is mind boggling... Those three have won more in one year than Rodgers has done in his entire career as a manger.

I cannot see where you are coming from with that post.

brevity wrote: »
    Oh god this is all so wrong IMO. He has had backing, lots in fact, him and the transfer committee squandered it on buying the wrong players at the wrong time.

Enthralling football doesn't matter if you are unsuccessful. Pretty failure is all it is.

Lumping Hodgson in with Benitez, Houlier and Dalglish is mind boggling... Those three have won more in one year than Rodgers has done in his entire career as a manger.

Where I am coming from -> Liverpool play better football under Rodgers than they did under previous four managers.

If FSG continue to back Rodgers financially etc. -> Successful Rodgers/ Liverpool

Where I am coming from -> Liverpool play better football under Rodgers than they did under previous four managers.

If FSG continue to back Rodgers financially etc. -> Successful Rodgers/ Liverpool

Better looking football doesn't mean better football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Why would Klopp come here? He is bound to get a club in the Champions League.

Better looking football doesn't mean better football.

I said 'better football', not 'better looking football'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Style of football matters as much to the winning of football games as current football issues should matter to this thread on the 15th of April.

I said 'better football', not 'better looking football'.

But you are implyling that the football played under Rodgers is somehow better than the football we played under Bentiez/Houlier/Dalglish because its easier on the eye.

My argument is that just because its easier on the eye doesn't mean its better. It cannot be better because it has so far been unsuccessful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thought you would have preferred wining trophies under Rafa and houiller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

PasTa wrote: »
    Thought you would have preferred wining trophies under Rafa and houiller

Hi mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Why would Klopp come here? He is bound to get a club in the Champions League.

Yeah like Dynamo Rovers. :rolleyes:

We wear red, we're not in London , we're not in the CL etc blah etc = All nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Anyone think Klopp might end up taking over at City? If he could clear out who he wanted and bring a few more onboard with the absolute war chest he'd have at his disposal it may well just tempt him. Given that they qualify for the CL of course.

I certainly think City will move for him anyway, whether he'll want it or not is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This is what today is about.

Justice-For-The-96-Finally.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Anyone think Klopp might end up taking over at City? If he could clear out who he wanted and bring a few more onboard with the absolute war chest he'd have at his disposal it may well just tempt him. Given that they qualify for the CL of course.

I certainly think City will move for him anyway, whether he'll want it or not is another thing.

It does seem like Kopp must have some idea where he is going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

100% agree. We'd be as well getting Kevin Keegan in and asking him to recreate 90s Newcastle if we want pretty football with nothing to show for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

One thing for sure with klopp leaving Dortmund will be a few players leaving also. Would like to see us sign aubemayang and go in for Micky again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ricero wrote: »
    One thing for sure with klopp leaving Dortmund will be a few players leaving also. Would like to see us sign aubemayang and go in for Micky again.

Sell Sterling for £700m and buy Reus :D

£700m value taken from a player who want £999k a week wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ricero wrote: »

22 games and 1 goal. I've seen no good reviews of him this season and last season he didn't really light the place up as expected (albeit he scored far more than this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DVDM93 wrote: »

Only logical choice - Liverpool would be a similar situation to Dortmund: good solid team but limitied in terms of resouces that can be offered to the manager resulting in an inability to hang onto their better resources.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I suppose in a slight defence of Lovern, at Southampton he had two decent defensive midfielders in Schneiderln and Wanyama in front of him and decent full backs beside him. Fonte and Boruc had a good seasons as well. It seemed to be quite a well oiled machine.

He gets dropped into our defence which was leaking goals to begin with. Behind him was a keeper who wasn't very confident, in front of him Gerrard and Lucas or Gerrard and Allen were running into each other and Glen Johnson was....god only knows what he was up to. The only thing oiled was Enrique...

On top of that he had a manager in Rodgers who didn't spend enough time on defence because he had Suarez and Sturridge banging in the goals the previous season. Baptism of fire comes to mind.

Obviously he has made his mistakes (that attempted tackle against Newcastle that should have been a penalty looked like something i would do in 5 a side) and his decision making is erratic, he should be a lot better but the environment has to be accounted for.

See bolded statement, you then went on to defend his purchase.

Re playing for us.. It's true that he is playing in a different team and setup, and ultimately you should expect a 20 mil player to adapt and improve the 1st team. He has done neither as yet - one thing is for sure though - we are stuck with him... I doubt we will move him on in summer so lets back him to come good

FSG's problems with transfers are simple really

First they hired a manager who was out of the game for 11 years and as good as he was he was out of touch with the game as it now.

Second when the first manager left they hired an inexperienced manager at the top level who had no name value to attract top players.

Third the made a mess hiring someone/'s ( Comolli & Transfer committee) to help the above managers with buying players this then leads to a blaming cultural and no one takes responsibility for transfers.

Will it change to just one person in control of transfers I hope so but I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

22 games and 1 goal. I've seen no good reviews of him this season and last season he didn't really light the place up as expected (albeit he scored far more than this)

Might be the time to go for him in that case though - get him cheap and reform him.

Well if Sterling is sold I'd not be against him completely - but I'd sooner the money was spent on a functioning striker and CM like Matuidi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

FSG's problems with transfers are simple really

First they hired a manager who was out of the game for 11 years and as good as he was he was out of touch with the game as it now.

Second when the first manager left they hired an inexperienced manager at the top level who had no name value to attract top players.

Third the made a mess hiring someone/'s ( Comolli & Transfer committee) to help the above managers with buying players this then leads to a blaming cultural and no one takes responsibility for transfers.

Will it change to just one person in control of transfers I hope so but I highly doubt it.
    It won't happen while FSG are owners. They are committed to the belief of 'wisdom of the many', where the chances of making a mistake is reduced by taking more than one persons opinion(eg, the manager only) into account when buying players.

Also, when/if Rodgers is replaced, the players left will have less of 'Rodgers signing' on their heads (like Joe Allen has currently) and will be more accepting of a new regime.

In theory, anyway.

Well if Sterling is sold I'd not be against him completely - but I'd sooner the money was spent on a functioning striker and CM like Matuidi

Matuidi & Lacazette now if we signed them in the summer I would get light headed and if selling Sterling was the key to that I could handle it.

garra wrote: »
    See bolded statement, you then went on to defend his purchase.

Re playing for us.. It's true that he is playing in a different team and setup, and ultimately you should expect a 20 mil player to adapt and improve the 1st team. He has done neither as yet - one thing is for sure though - we are stuck with him... I doubt we will move him on in summer so lets back him to come good

I wouldn't say i defended his purchase just focused on the change in environment. Ultimately he has to take responsibility for his own mistakes and performances though and he has most definitely been poor this season.

Matuidi & Lacazette now if we signed them in the summer I would get light headed and if selling Sterling was the key to that I could handle it.

Do you think Barcelona might like to take Sterling in a swap deal for that troublesome Uruguay chappie? :pac:

Do you think Barcelona might like to take Sterling in a swap deal for that troublesome Uruguay chappie? :pac:

Have you being inhaling nitrous oxide:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That Suarez fella is it? Sure he's useless, only scored twice because he's up against David Luiz. Like playing tennis with the net down.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

A heinous individual so he is.

Andre Ayew, Konoplyanka, Gignac, Maxi Pereira, Abate, Milner & Ings are all free agents this summer a coupe of right backs and forward players to choice from.

Andre Ayew, Konoplyanka, Gignac, Maxi Pereira, Abate, Milner & Ings are all free agents this summer a coupe of right backs and forward players to choice from.

Gignac would be incredible to get on a Bosman. Huge improvement on Lambert in terms of a Plan B, but he'd want serious wages. Milner and Ings I'd take, and no to the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Let's ask Nuri about him..

Oh wait......................... :(

We don't know who Klopp is interested in though ;)

Andre Ayew's goal return has always been 2nd string at best, I'd sooner Liverpool bought someone who can equal Sturridge rather than someone who's no more potent than Origi has been (and he's paid for). I'd take Milner as a free general purpose water carrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Currently watching a rerun of the 26th Anivesery Service on LFCTV.

JF96 YNWA.

:(

We don't know who Klopp is interested in though ;)

Andre Ayew's goal return has always been 2nd string at best, I'd sooner Liverpool bought someone who can equal Sturridge rather than someone who's no more potent than Origi has been (and he's paid for). I'd take Milner as a free general purpose water carrier.

Lacazette, Benteke, Sturridge & Origi that would be a good strike force to start next season with.

Milner & Matuidi in midfield along with a right back and a keeper then that's transfers sorted.

Lacazette, Benteke, Sturridge & Origi that would be a good strike force to start next season with.

Milner & Matuidi in midfield along with a right back and a keeper then that's transfers sorted.

That's a squad capable of a title challenge for sure. The reality is however, that Benteke and Lacazette would cost upwards of £50m between them, Milner is probably off to Arsenal and Matuidi is a key player for his club on massive wages with no reason to move. It is fun to think about though.

martyos121 wrote: »
    That's a squad capable of a title challenge for sure. The reality is however, that Benteke and Lacazette would cost upwards of £50m between them, Milner is probably off to Arsenal and Matuidi is a key player for his club on massive wages with no reason to move. It is fun to think about though.

If we got £50m for Sterling I'd happily spend it on Lacazette & Benteke.

If the club were to use Gerrards and Johnsons wages for Milner & Matuidi that might work :P

Matuidi's best friend already plays for us :D might help.

All doable I think/Dream

If the club were to use Gerrards and Johnsons wages for Milner & Matuidi that might work :P

All doable I think/Dream

Forgot about his link with Sakho tbh. Also agree with the reinvestment of Sterling's fee on Lacazette and Benteke. Had my doubts that Benteke would return to form after such a devastating injury (one which ends careers often enough) but he looks better than ever under Sherwood. Lacazette is clearly a top player in the making.

Milner is the most likely but it's hard to sign good players in free agency because they have so much power in where they end up.

I'd also want to see Origi loaned out to a smaller PL club like West Ham or Southampton, and bring in Gignac on a free.

Add in Schar and Nigel de Jong on free transfers also and we'd have no excuses for finishing outside the top 3 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Matuidi would be a fantastic signing, exactly the kind of player we need but theres virtually no chance of us signing him. Hes at a better, richer, more established, more ambitious team in his native country. Hes not leaving paris for liverpool.

Schär would be a good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jon Stark wrote: »
    A heinous individual so he is.

With no chance of redemption.

Sure looks to be doing fine to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

All doable I think/Dream

If we sacrifice Sterling to sign Benteke I'll cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

martyos121 wrote: »
    Forgot about his link with Sakho tbh. Also agree with the reinvestment of Sterling's fee on Lacazette and Benteke. Had my doubts that Benteke would return to form after such a devastating injury (one which ends careers often enough) but he looks better than ever under Sherwood. Lacazette is clearly a top player in the making.

Milner is the most likely but it's hard to sign good players in free agency because they have so much power in where they end up.

I'd also want to see Origi loaned out to a smaller PL club like West Ham or Southampton, and bring in Gignac on a free.

Add in Schar and Nigel de Jong on free transfers also and we'd have no excuses for finishing outside the top 3 IMO.

Origi out gignac and de Jong in And for my next act I'm going to slaughter the Indians.

Goodnight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement